• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Select Sky followed by Layer via Cut (or Copy) doing weird stuff!

New Here ,
Mar 04, 2022 Mar 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Folks,

When I use the 'Select Sky' followed by Layer via Cut (or Layer via Copy) I get a sky layer with strange ghosted outlines & shapes on it, there are also traces of the image showing that aren't part of the sky selection. Please see attached image. Really odd! If I make the sky selection manually using any of the selection tools I don't get any issues so I'm wondering if this is a bug with the 'Select Sky' option?

Any insights on this would be much appreciated.

I'm using the latrest version of Photoshop and running on 2017 iMac with Catalina 10.15.7.

SE

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you post your PSD that exhibits his behavior?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've uploadedben3-Edit.jpg the jpeg if that helps? PSD is not an accepted format for upload here. Just to be clear, I've repeated these actions on a number of images, jpgs, tiffs and psd's and the problem is evident on all of them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can use dropbox or CC files to share the file.

I've done sky replacement, what layer do you have selected and and do you have an active selection when you do layer via cut?

I need all the steps to reproduce the problem.

JeffreyTranberry_0-1646412077424.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay, so I start with one layer containing the original image. I use 'select sky' so just the sky is selected and then 'layer via cut'. This creates a new layer with the sky selection on it. When I disable the original layer underneath it I see just the sky layer with all the issues I described in my OP.

Sky Layer via Cut.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I see in your previous post you have used the 'sky replacement'. That's not the same as 'Select > 'Sky' from the menu bar.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's a screenshot that shows it more clearly 🙂

Screenshot 2022-03-04 at 17.03.13.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I see. I don't think this is a bug - but I'll run it by engineers for an explanation.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay thanks. If it's not a bug then the question is why do I not get the same issue when using a conventional manual selection?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 07, 2022 Mar 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I checked with engineering. Not a bug. Select Sky is a machine learning algorithm and has its limitations. We're always training and trying to improve our ML algorithms. You can use Select and Mask to refine any selections made by machine learning.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 07, 2022 Mar 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Okay thanks for the update. I don't know how your defining a 'bug' but it seems from what you're saying that when the resulting selection from 'Select Sky' is made it's not necessarily showing the 'actual' selection at all. In the example I've posted here the result is not even close to what is being shown as selected, I can't see how using masking to refine the selection will help when what you're seeing is not actually what you get when you layer via cut or copy. Also, the issue only occurs when using layer via cut or copy, whereas the selection is 100% accurate when used in other scenarios like brushing through a mask to another layer etc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines