Select Subject not working properly for Apple M1 Max 16"

Community Beginner ,
Jan 24, 2022 Jan 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are there any updates to fix the select subject.

I am using Apple M1 Max on Monterey.

Currently using Photoshop 23.1.1 release.

See attachment.

You need to ask program questions in the forum for the program you are using
To ask in the forum for your program please start at https://community.adobe.com/
Moving from Using the Community (which is about the forums) to the correct forum... Mod

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 25, 2022 Jan 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

We're sorry to see that the "select subject" feature is not working for you. Can you check with a different photo with a contrasting background? What is your system specification? 

Please try disabling OpenCL but leave GPU preference on?

Let us know if that makes any difference.

Similar issues are there, check this article: https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/photoshop-for-apple-silicon.html

and our forum discussion: https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-ecosystem-discussions/quot-select-subject-quot-does-not-wor...

Regards,

Ranjisha

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 25, 2022 Jan 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We're sorry to see that the "select subject" feature is not working for
you. Can you check with a different photo with a contrasting background?
What is your system specification?

Still the same effect. Selection is all over the place.

See the attached image for system information.

Please try disabling OpenCL but leave GPU preference on?
No change.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 26, 2022 Jan 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We understand your concern. Currently, the issue is under the known issues of Photoshop on M1-based machines. It's under investigation, please stay tuned for any updates on this. 

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 17, 2022 Feb 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any update on when this will be resolved?

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 22, 2022 Feb 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can try updating Photoshop to 23.2 and check if that helps.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

is it just not working on that one image? Are there other layers in your document? It's working as expected here on my M1.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are no layers in the image.

Please provide what version on PS you are using along with hardware specs.  Because it what you are using may not be the same setup I am dealing with.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 06, 2022 Apr 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just wondering if there was an update to this issue. Subject selection worked great on my Macbook Pro 2018, but I just purchased a 2021 Macbook Pro with M1 Max and it doesn't work correctly in Photoshop or Camera Raw. Thanks in advance

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 07, 2022 Apr 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is still not working for me.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 07, 2022 Apr 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

We understand your concern, and we always want to share a good experience with the users.

Currently, mac M1 machines are seeing some issues. However, things work smoothly with  Rosetta emulation mode. have you tried that option? If not, please try using Rosetta.

To learn how to run Photoshop in Rosetta, see About Rosetta.

Let us know if this helps.

Regards.

Ranjisha

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 20, 2022 Apr 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was struggling with the same issues. I tried everything until I get the 23.3.0 version with the same problem. So,  I did the opposite. I disable the rosetta option. It works. 

Then I try to enable the OpenCL and it's ok.
So, version 23.3.0 on MacMini M1 16Gb,
OpenCL enable,
Rosetta disable. 
Subject Selection working fine in the same photo.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 06, 2022 May 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I'm having the same issue, using 23.3.1 on an M1 Max. Select Subject chooses basically random stuff. Lightroom will perfectly select the subject in the very same images. In looking, there seems to be a TON of peoplewith this issue.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines