• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Selecting an item in a photoshop document does NOT automatically selects the corresponding layer

Explorer ,
Jun 13, 2024 Jun 13, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been very frustrated with the newer version of Photoshop.  
   Before, if I selected an object like a text box, image, vector object, layer, etc. as soon as I selected the object, the corresponding layer will be selected for me to complete the intended next step, eg: move object, transform object, etc.

I noticed for a few months now that I don't only have to select the item in the document, I have to select the layer in which the object is sitting in the layers panel, otherwise any movement I do immediatelly after selecting the object, will be affecting the PREVIOUS object that was transformed in any way.

That is SOOOOO FRUSTRATING!!!   I not only have to be aware evertyime I want to move somehing, but it has added at least 2 or 3 clicks to an action that only took ONE click previously.

I could not find any conversation around this issue, so I am hoping is not only me suffering this pain.  If you have had a similar experience, can you please share how do you fix or go around this problem?
Greatly appreciative for any guidance...

Rocío López-Bretzlaff
TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you have Auto Select checked in the Options bar?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Auto Select > Layer for precision.

auto select layer.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Keep in mind that there can be overlapping layer content which will only auto-select the top layer, you can contextual right-click with the move tool and select the lower layers by name.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines