Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Selection, masks, etc ... inverted

Explorer ,
Apr 03, 2023 Apr 03, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello there,

I have a problem since a few days. Each time I use selection tool or if I want to create a mask or anything and when I want to fill in with whatever (colors, pictures, ...), instead of putting into the selected part of my image, it puts it outside and leaves the selection blank. So since someone can help me to solve the problem, I create my selection but then I have to do ctrl + shift + i

I might have switched it by pressing wrong buttons and it's kind of annoying.

Thank you if you can bring me the solution.

- Curiosity is the only key -
TOPICS
Actions and scripting , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Apr 04, 2023 Apr 04, 2023

The only thing I could see if you hit ALT/OPTION when you create the mask from the selection (which automatically inverts it)
Now maybe it's that, but you don't know it, ie: there is a problem with your ALT/OPT key.
First you can check if it "solves" the problem when you hit ALT/OPT when you create the mask. Of course, I wouldn't go on like that, it's not how it's supposed to work, but it would give an idea, as a test, if that's the issue.

That's the only thing I can think of, because your selec

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Apr 03, 2023 Apr 03, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can not reproduce using Marquee tool.  Starting new selection with any of available modes: New selection, Add to selection, Subtract from selection, Intersect with selection will always result that Ctrl + Backspace fills background color inside selection. Try with preference reset.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 04, 2023 Apr 04, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The only thing I could see if you hit ALT/OPTION when you create the mask from the selection (which automatically inverts it)
Now maybe it's that, but you don't know it, ie: there is a problem with your ALT/OPT key.
First you can check if it "solves" the problem when you hit ALT/OPT when you create the mask. Of course, I wouldn't go on like that, it's not how it's supposed to work, but it would give an idea, as a test, if that's the issue.

That's the only thing I can think of, because your selection IS NOT inverted by default.

One thing you can do - as a preventive measure - is to reset your preferences, but not after having saved all your workspaces, presets etc.

Just go to edit>preferences>general>reset preferences on quit and then close and open Photoshop again.

Imaginerie_0-1680599550535.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks, I reset just in case.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could you please post screenshots with the pertinent Panels (Toolbar, Layers, Options Bar, Channels, …) visible? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It seems to went back to normal. I used to have these kind of issues when by hitting some keys I was switching my keyboard's mode from AZERTY to QWERTY. but in case I reseted preferences as mentionned. I'll get back if the bug appears again.

Thanks for your answers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines