Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Send Key Strokes to CS3 document

New Here ,
Jan 28, 2010 Jan 28, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Everybody.

I'd like to know if it's possible via JS scripting to send a sequence of Key Strokes to an already open document.

Example:

I have an open document in PS CS3, then I'd like to go menu File/sequence commands/Browse and then load a JS script that sends a sequence of key strokes as same as if the user were typing it.

My purpose is to take access via keystrokes to some menus which aren't recorded neither by the action pannel recorder nor the scriptlistenerJS

Thanks in advance.

TOPICS
Actions and scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Guru , Jan 28, 2010 Jan 28, 2010

Let's say that the csv file is always on the desktop( you could use a different folder ). With the doc with the datasets that need updating open run the script below. It does the same thing as File-Import-Variable Data Sets except that it sets the csv file without the dialog. You can even use it as part of your action.

BTW, if you import from the Image-Variables dialog's flyout menu scriptlistener doesn't output anything. You have to use File-Import-Variable Data Sets. That will get you to the

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't think you can do it from JavaScript.

What I do is use .Net for windows and AppleScript for the mac

Examples:

using System;
using System.Windows.Forms;
using System.Runtime.InteropServices;

namespace SendKeysTest
{
public class Driver
{
[DllImport("user32.dll")]
public static extern IntPtr FindWindow(string lpClassName, string lpWindowName);

[DllImport("User32")]
public static extern int SetForegroundWindow(IntPtr hwnd);

public static void Main(string[] args) {
IntPtr iHandle = FindWindow("Photoshop",null);

SetForegroundWindow(iHandle);
SendKeys.SendWait("+]");
}
}
}

tell application "Adobe Photoshop CS3"
activate
tell application "System Events" to keystroke"["
end tell

Both methods need to be complied, the AppleScript as an app then run via JS using the File.execute(); command

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe there's an easier way to achieve what I want.

I'll explain the exact problem:

I have dozens of banners with common layers that I have to update very often (texts, background images...)

So I created a CSV file with the source data that every banner reads via (data set, variables... in the Image menu). I successfully made everything but found an issue that might be a CS3 bug:

Everytime I update myDataFile.csv  with new data, the document in photoshop doesn't update data when pressing Image/Apply set of data as Photshop seems to cache the former data of the file. The only way I found to solve this is "force" PS to read the file again: enter the Images/Set of Data Import option, select the same CSV file and then Apply. Then it takes the right values. This is OK for one document, but when I Record an action/script that enters the mentioned menu,nothing is registered, that's the reason of sending keystrokes from script to open and select desired options in a particular menu.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Barleby_ wrote:

Maybe there's an easier way to achieve what I want.

There is. Here is a function that inports a csv file.

// Imports a csv file using the first field as the dataset name
// the first field should be unique as it will be used to index the datasets for
// loopDataSets and applyDataSets functions
fileImportDataSets = function( file ) {
    var desc = new ActionDescriptor();
        var ref = new ActionReference();
        ref.putClass( stringIDToTypeID( "dataSetClass" ) );
    desc.putReference( charIDToTypeID( "null" ), ref );
    desc.putPath( charIDToTypeID( "Usng" ), new File( file ) );
    desc.putEnumerated( charIDToTypeID( "Encd" ),
                                        stringIDToTypeID( "dataSetEncoding" ),
                                        stringIDToTypeID( "dataSetEncodingAuto" ) );
    desc.putBoolean( stringIDToTypeID( "eraseAll" ), true );
    desc.putBoolean( stringIDToTypeID( "useFirstColumn" ), true );
executeAction( stringIDToTypeID( "importDataSets" ), desc, DialogModes.NO );
}

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Michael L Hale,

Sorry for asking so much, but don't understand very well how to implement your example (I'm a beginner with photoshop scripting). Would it bother you to post a specific example of your function? I'd appreciate it so much.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Let's say that the csv file is always on the desktop( you could use a different folder ). With the doc with the datasets that need updating open run the script below. It does the same thing as File-Import-Variable Data Sets except that it sets the csv file without the dialog. You can even use it as part of your action.

BTW, if you import from the Image-Variables dialog's flyout menu scriptlistener doesn't output anything. You have to use File-Import-Variable Data Sets. That will get you to the same dialog and scriptlistener output.

var myCSVFile = new File('~/Desktop/myCSVFile.csv');
fileImportDataSets( myCSVFile );
// Imports a csv file using the first field as the dataset name
// the first field should be unique as it will be used to index the datasets for
// loopDataSets and applyDataSets functions
function fileImportDataSets( file ) {
    var desc = new ActionDescriptor();
        var ref = new ActionReference();
        ref.putClass( stringIDToTypeID( "dataSetClass" ) );
    desc.putReference( charIDToTypeID( "null" ), ref );
    desc.putPath( charIDToTypeID( "Usng" ), new File( file ) );
    desc.putEnumerated( charIDToTypeID( "Encd" ),
                                        stringIDToTypeID( "dataSetEncoding" ),
                                        stringIDToTypeID( "dataSetEncodingAuto" ) );
    desc.putBoolean( stringIDToTypeID( "eraseAll" ), true );
    desc.putBoolean( stringIDToTypeID( "useFirstColumn" ), true );
executeAction( stringIDToTypeID( "importDataSets" ), desc, DialogModes.NO );
}

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks a lot for your help. Never guessed about the Import/ Set of Data in the file menu instead inside the variables menu.

I Thank you for your answer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This would be possible on mac os with applescript. (but its ugly)

May be possible with visual basic on pc (I know ≤ 0 about pc's so someone could answer that).

I've not seen anything like this done with javascript. (but I've a lot to learn yet a maybe?)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Untested but possible alternative using bridge system();

"osascript -e 'tell application "System Events" to keystroke "N" using command down'"

Paul, if you write applescript text to file you can compile the script with shell 'osacomplie' but then you most likely know this already…

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Mark, I didn't know that, will try to remember that. I only turn the Macs on to test any scripts otherwise I leave them alone!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines