• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Serious Brush Jitter with Tablet Input - Photoshop

Community Beginner ,
Nov 25, 2019 Nov 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With the most recent updates of Photoshop CC I've started experiencing a notible increase in unwanted brush jitter/wobble, particularly when I'm zoomed a bit further out of my canvas. This jitter seems to be worsened the further I zoom out. If, for instance, I zoom out to a point where my canvas is the size of a matchbox on screen, and I draw, the stroke becomes a jagged mess - just to show the issue at its worst. This only seems to happen when using my tablet, not my mouse, and is also present (albiet not as bad) when using the lasso selection tool. I've not experienced this at all when using Clip Studio Paint. Anyone have any ideas what could be causing this? Getting desperate for a fix!

It wasn't an issue before, but since the last one or two updates the jitter seems to have gotten really really bad, almost as if the cursor is snapping to an invisible grid - see attached image.

{Thread renamed by moderator}

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What tablet are you using? Version of Photoshop? Windows/Mac OS?

Some quick suggestions:

Update your tablet drivers.

Check Windows Ink settings (if on Win)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also if you are using wireless mouse/tablet. Try diabling/disconnecting the mouse when you use your tablet.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Welcome to the Adobe Community!

Could you please try enabling "Legacy compositing" located in Photoshop's Preferences > Performance, then relaunch Photoshop and let us know if it helps?

Also, what exact version of Photoshop are you working on? You can check that by going to Help > System Info

Do you experience the same behavior when using a mouse?

Regards,
Sahil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@kstohlmeyer1 @sahil.chawla

Thank you for the speedy responses.
Apologies, I should have included my specs earlier. 

I'm running macOS Mojave (Version 10.14.6) on my 21.5' iMac (late 2015 model).
Adobe Photoshop Version 21.0.0.
And the tablet model is Yiynova MVP22U, with the latest driver installed (a lesser known brand, I know, but I've been using it for 4 years and never had any jitter issues, even with industry professional illustration work).

I've tried disconnecting my Apple Magic Mouse and wireless keyboard while using the tablet, but it doesn't affect the issue. 
Similarly, I've enabled Legacy Compositing, and relaunched, but that also, unfortunately, didn't change anything.

Admittedly I've had similar issues in Affinity Photo with their freehand selection/lasso tool, but that is a known issue. I've never experienced this with Photoshop in the 10+ years that I've been using it, and the fact that Clip Studio Paint (and Sketchbook Pro for that matter) don't show this issue makes me think that it could likely be the software causing this, not my hardware.

The attached image (below) shows the results with Legacy Compositing on, and my wireless mouse and keyboard fully disconnected.
To be fair, I was zoomed out to about 5% of the A4 canvas (I realise that may sound ridiculous), but it's always been smooth no matter how zoomed in I was until now.

Screenshot 2019-11-25 at 18.45.34.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try uninstalling and reinstalling the driver software on your Mac. Reading up on the Yiyonova site, it looks like they haven't updated their support documentation since 2009, but it states to reinstall after each OS or Software upgrade.

There was an update to the drivers on 10/16 of this year.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 26, 2019 Nov 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, Yiynova aren't very good as far as customer support goes. Unfortunately I have indeed uninstalled and freshly reinstalled the latest driver, but the issue persists. As I've mentioned, this does not seem to be an issue in other apps, which leads me to believe that it could be the way that Photoshop (specifically) is interpretting the input from my tablet pen/stylus, almost as if the accuracy is not at 100%, and deteriorates the further I zoom out of the canvas. If this issue was present in all other applications I would definitely assume that it's my hardware that's causing the problem, but that's not the case. The brushes and selection tools in Clip Studio Paint and Sketchbook Pro work perfectly - the same goes for other software I've tested such as Krita, Artstudio Pro, and Medibang Paint. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 15, 2021 Jul 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I'm having the same issue, did you find a solution by any chance?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines