Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Share Action including Scripts

Participant ,
Mar 19, 2024 Mar 19, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi World! 🤓

I would like help sharing my Photoshop action, in which I included scripts that refer to a folder on my computer. I want to share it with my husband and, maybe, a new computer in the future.

Is there a way to make the script's location "generic"? Or do I need to re-record the action steps with a script from his computer? 

Any help is much appreciated! 🙏🏻

TOPICS
Actions and scripting , macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you post screenshots of the action with the action step with the folder expanded/visible with the panel wide enough to view the path?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Avoid using actions in batches prior to testing, and remember that there are differences between Mac and Windows. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the warning, but my aim isn't to share in batches (hence me not posting the action file itself here for other to use) and luckily we are a Mac family 😬

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

unfortunately from what I know you can't do it because the path changes from computer to computer, so you have to rewrite the action for each computer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Ciccillotto 

Agreed! That's why I asked for a screenshot to clarify.

File paths are absolute and only valid on the computer that made the action.

Script paths recorded via Browse are also absolute.

Installed scripts are relative and only use the script name, not the full absolute path.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, I was afraid of that, but figured I would ask before assuming.

I used "Browse" and the path is currently my own Desktop 🥴

I have no clue how to "install" scripts, so I guess I need to rewrite the action after all. Thanks for confirming 🙏🏻

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Mar 20, 2024 Mar 20, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You could convert the action to script with xtool and then edit the script, so you can use it on all computers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Really? I would wish for the whole thing to be one script! I tried to use an event listener to record things, but it did not give me much. I could not find much regarding the Perspective crop tool and how to have the action paused for the user to set the points for cropping before the script continues.

This is the post about the action I was working on and got help from this amazing community. In my last reply I added the steps I am doing and the different scripts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They go in the application's Presets/Scripts folder to Install and become available in the File > Scripts menu.

https://prepression.blogspot.com/2017/11/downloading-and-installing-adobe-scripts.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ahhhh! I know my way around the Mac, so I am definitely going to try this. It was quick and easy to build and test on my desktop, but very annoying it is there now and error-prone for me to delete without realizing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You'd have to post or share the whole thing for us to say. Its easier to deal with changing paths in a script, but you have to have some knowledge of scripting.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines