• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Should I rasterize a layer or flatten an image but keep the quality?

Community Beginner ,
Apr 09, 2023 Apr 09, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Should I rasterize a layer or flatten an image but keep the quality?

I want to save the PSD as a PDF for printing, but I want it to keep its high quality.

I don't know what the difference is between a rasterize layer and a flatten image.

I know preserving Photoshop editing capabilities will make PDF editable, and I don't want them to edit it.

I'm saving my PSD in the cloud, as it's very large.

So how do you save it in pdf but keep high quality?

I was thinking of either rasterizing a layer or flattening an image, but I have no idea what the difference is between them.
I want to save to PDF with high quality for printing.

Any sugestion, What should I do as I want to send the file to another country so they can print it, but I don't want to send the actual original file because I don't want them to edit it because I have no idea who will be doing the printing?

Thank You

TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@i-graphya 

If you have a Type layer (vector) or Shape layer (vector), then rasterizing the layer converts the layer to raster (pixels). Rasterizing a smart object removes it from the smart object and combines whatever layers are inside into one.

Flattening combines all layers into one Background layer.

If you do either, make a copy first in case you need to make edits to the PSD.

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Came here to say this. Listen to @jane-e! It's always a good idea to save the unflattened version. You never know when you might want to make a change, or sometimes you might notice an error or maybe just something you wish you'd done differently. Save it as a .tif (which is still a large file) if you want to avoid artifacts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 10, 2023 Apr 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I always save two copies after I finish my design and never flatten or rasterize my designs so I don't lose the original work.

That's why I have no more space in my PC.😅😂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So flattening is better than rasterizing to keep the design in better quality.

I was thinking of saving to PDF without checking to preserve Photoshop editing capabilities, so it can't be edited.

But should I use bicubic downsampling in pdf or use do not downsample?

My PSD resolution is 300 dpi

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 17, 2023 Oct 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Rasterize any jpgs, pngs, any actual photos...Select ALL, create outlines to turn any type into objects...then after that, select all and flatten (ONLY FLATTEN A COPY AND NOT ORIGINAL) to compress your file for print/digital media. Then, save a PDF of the file. DONT FORGET TO KEEP THE ORIGINAL FILE AS IT IS AND ONLY FLATTEN AND CREATE OUTLINES RASTERIZE A COPIED FILE IN CASE YOU NEED TO EDIT THE ORIGINAL FILE. ONCE FLATTENED AND SAVED, THERE'S NO TURNING BACK... 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"So how do you save it in pdf but keep high quality?"

Save using High Quality Print preset. Do not Rasterize vector shapes and Type layers although rasterizing will prevent editing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PDFs can be locked to prevent editing using Adobe Acrobat.

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not flattening or rasterizing the design.

But should I use bicubic downsampling in pdf or use do not downsample?

My PSD resolution is 300 dpi 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines