Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

simple clipping question

New Here ,
Mar 17, 2019 Mar 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Friends,

As I get older I'm told to lower my stress.  This may mean abandoning Photoshop CC. I use it sparingly though I pay for it monthly...what a racket!  So I'm trying to do a simple, simple I'm told, simple clipping mask.  I have watched the tutorials over and over and over.  tried this, tried that, go back to the tutorial, repeat step by step.  I'm beginning to think I can do without this product.

OK..the problem.  I have two layers, a black and white jpg and a colorful background.  The idea:  simple enough.  see the picture through the text.  It DOESN'T work as ADVERTISED.  (that's me screaming at the screen) 

Please don't tell me once again to use the alt key.  Yeah it pretends to turn on a clipping mask but all i see is the top layer.  This is a screen grab of what I am seeing.  my monitor is set to 3840 x 2160. I edit in 4K.

Stressed out 71-year-old

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Mar 17, 2019 Mar 17, 2019

rickk30290064  wrote

I have two layers, a black and white jpg and a colorful background.  The idea:  simple enough.  see the picture through the text.

The text can be live text or it can be converted to raster, but you need to have transparency, and the b&w jpg does not have transparency.

Try typing some text and use that instead.

E59647A5-189C-4FF6-8D0C-153841E1BD4C.jpeg

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The text has to be on a separate layer, not on a white background.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

rickk30290064  wrote

I have two layers, a black and white jpg and a colorful background.  The idea:  simple enough.  see the picture through the text.

The text can be live text or it can be converted to raster, but you need to have transparency, and the b&w jpg does not have transparency.

Try typing some text and use that instead.

E59647A5-189C-4FF6-8D0C-153841E1BD4C.jpeg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines