• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Smart object color changes when opening file on different computers

New Here ,
Aug 30, 2021 Aug 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I've been getting this very same problem on many files for some time now, but not on every single file, so I'm a bit puzzled and trying to find out what could be happening.

I frequently have to switch between working on my company's computer and my own personal computer (both logged in the same Adobe account), and sometimes, an image that is being used in a file will change appearance when I "transform" it. I usually let the images embeded as smart obejcts, and don't merge them so not to lose quality.

It almost looks like I changed the color profile of the embeded smart object, as it goes more saturated, or often, less saturated than as originally viewed. I believe it has to do with the color management settings being different on each computer, but I don't understand much about color management, and can't figure out what I could be doing wrong and what settings would be the most appropriate.

I made a little video showing when I open a files, how the color is displayed and when I click Cmd + T to resize the image, and the color immedeiately updates and changes. In this case, it got more saturated, but it's often the opposite too.

Video of the problem

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Aug 30, 2021 Aug 30, 2021

My current suspicion is that the SO might be unprofiled. 

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Aug 31, 2021 Aug 31, 2021

Yes, c.p. is right. You're working with untagged files (no embedded color profile).

In the case of smart objects, it's even two separate profiles: the master (parent) file, and the embedded smart object (child). They don't need to be the same, but they both need to have a profile.

Never work with untagged files. It's a time bomb about to explode in your face. Which color space to use is a separate discussion, determined by other considerations, but there has to be a profile.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What are the Edit Color Settings on bith computers? 

What is the Color Space of the containing document and teh embedded Smart Object? (Color Space as in ICC profile, not Color Mode!) 

Please set the Status Bar to »Document Profile« and post meaningful screenshots. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My current suspicion is that the SO might be unprofiled. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 31, 2021 Aug 31, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, c.p. is right. You're working with untagged files (no embedded color profile).

In the case of smart objects, it's even two separate profiles: the master (parent) file, and the embedded smart object (child). They don't need to be the same, but they both need to have a profile.

Never work with untagged files. It's a time bomb about to explode in your face. Which color space to use is a separate discussion, determined by other considerations, but there has to be a profile.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You were right, it was as untagged RGB. I didn't know this could be such a problem, color management and profiles were always somewhat cryptic and confusing for me, but it worked ok most of the time (as most time bombs do, until they don't).

I guess I'll go after some tutorials on how to use these settings better, from now on.

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

A Smart Object’s instance has to be »recalculated« from the original Smart Object’s content when it is transformed. 

So if the image was created on an installation with a different Work Space and then opened on another the instance of an unprofiled Smart Object will be calculated based on the current Work Space if it is transformed. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines