• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Smart Object links to Lightroom files broken after changes made within Lightroom

Community Beginner ,
Jun 19, 2024 Jun 19, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop v 25.9.1

Lightroom v 13.3.1

Apple M1 2020

Sonoma 14.5

I have a sequence of 10 photos in Lightroom (LR) that I have linked as 10 layers made up of Smart Objects in a Photoshop (PS) document.

When I make a change to one of the photos in LR and save the changes to the XMP sidecar file while the PS document is open, PS goes throught an "updating Smart Objects" routine, and the changes are registered in the PS document.

No problem so far.

When I, however, make the same change in LR and save it while the PS document is NOT open, PS does not register the change, and the next time I open the PS document, the link to the Smart Object will be broken (small yellow exclamation mark on the layer).

I want to be able to apply changes in LR while PS is not open, then have the changes registered and the Smart Objects updated the next time I open the PS document.

Is that possible, or is there a workaround?

I hope I was able to describe the problem accurately. Thank you!

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Jun 28, 2024 Jun 28, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

For me, that's always seemed to work automatically, or at least I haven't noticed the issue - but my workflow is different. It LOOKS like this was addressed a looooong time ago in this forum. Perhaps you can use the information in this thread:
https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-ecosystem-discussions/auto-update-linked-smart-objects-in-p...

Adobe Community Expert / Adobe Certified Instructor

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines