Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Smart Object open in new tab

Community Beginner ,
Feb 24, 2023 Feb 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello!
In Photoshop an image in smart object, with a double click it always opens a new tab, now the double click is directing to Camera Raw, and that's not what I want!
Can anyone help me with this? Some files open a new tab, others open camera raw.

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @SandroK 

Thanks for reaching out. 

Which version of Photoshop and Windows are you using? Are you working with RAW files? 

Double-clicking on the smart object icon will open the file in Photoshop in a new tab. You can then make changes to the file and save it. The changes will be reflected in your Photoshop project. Another reason you cannot edit your smart object in Photoshop is the object might be locked, or you are using a RAW file.

We will look forward to hearing from you soon.

Ranjisha

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for replying, Ranjisha Sengupta!
System information:
Adobe Photoshop version: 24.2.0 20230218.r.315 28c9f72 x64
Number of releases: 37
Operating System: Windows 11 64-bit
Version: 11 or higher 10.0.22621.1265
System Architecture: AMD CPU Family:15, Model:1, Step:0 cp, MMX, SSE Integer, SSE FP, SSE2, SSE3, SSE4.1 and SSE4.2, AVX, AVX2, HyperThreading
Physical processor count: 6
Logical processor count: 12
Processor speed: 3793 MHz
Internal memory: 24490 MB
Free memory: 15693 MB
Memory available for Photoshop: 18568 MB
Memory used by Photoshop: 70%

About the files, I use DNG and NEF (Nikon raw).
Files are not locked.
I did a test, using DNG, NEF and PSD files and the result is the same, it doesn't open a new tab in Photoshop, but opens Camera Raw.

I did some more tests, and it looks like this:
If we open the image, it is first opened in Camera Raw, in this case we have two situations: 1) if we open it in Photoshop using Smart Object, when we double-click on the smart object icon we are taken to Camera Raw; 2) if it opens in Photoshop as a normal image and in PS I convert it to Smart Object it opens a new tab.

It seems that there has been a shift in that direction.
Is there any difference between importing as smart object or converting to smart object already in photoshop?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If we open the image, it is first opened in Camera Raw, in this case we have two situations: 1) if we open it in Photoshop using Smart Object, when we double-click on the smart object icon we are taken to Camera Raw; 2) if it opens in Photoshop as a normal image and in PS I convert it to Smart Object it opens a new tab.

By @SandroK

This is how it should work. There is nothing wrong here.

You're missing the distinction between a raw file and a rendered RGB file.

A smart object can be different file types, and they open in their parent application. Raw files open in ACR, RGB files open in Photoshop. If the smart object is an .ai vector file created in Illustrator, the smart object will open in Illustrator.

Photoshop cannot directly open raw files from a camera. That's why the ACR plugin is there. Before Photoshop can read it, it has to be processed into an RGB file, which is what ACR does.

When you resave that from Photoshop, it is no longer a raw file. Now it's an RGB file, a different thing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@D Fosse  Fantastic summary

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 25, 2023 Feb 25, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, Michael. I use this forum as practice in expressing relatively complex concepts in as few words as possible 😉

Most photographers will be keenly aware of the difference between linear mosaic raw files and rendered demosaiced RGB files. To others it may not be so obvious.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 25, 2023 Feb 25, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I think you hang out with a smarter bunch of photographers than I do 😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines