• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Smart objects disappearing from Pattern Preview

Community Beginner ,
Jan 10, 2022 Jan 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I converted all of my icons to smart objects, and then placed them in Pattern Preview. (PS 2022/OS Monterey) But when I toggle preview off, some of them disappear (mostly around the edges). Does anyone know why this is happening? I'm working in CMYK, if that's helpful.

Screen Shot 2022-01-10 at 11.14.24 AM.pngScreen Shot 2022-01-10 at 11.14.08 AM.png

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jan 10, 2022 Jan 10, 2022

From the engineers, this is not a bug, but expected behavior. 

"A smart object that is crossing the doc bounds with pattern preview on will repeat and wrap to the other side, when it's off, the repeated drawing will not show - there is only one smart object, not two. If you open the file, select the Move tool with Show Transform Controls enabled, and select each layer, you'll see the one that doesn't repeat with PP off is in one corner.  All the other layers expand beyond the canvas bounds"

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Would it be possible to post this PSD? (via link to CC files or Dropbox)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

From the engineers, this is not a bug, but expected behavior. 

"A smart object that is crossing the doc bounds with pattern preview on will repeat and wrap to the other side, when it's off, the repeated drawing will not show - there is only one smart object, not two. If you open the file, select the Move tool with Show Transform Controls enabled, and select each layer, you'll see the one that doesn't repeat with PP off is in one corner.  All the other layers expand beyond the canvas bounds"

"There is only one smart object graphic, but in Pattern Preview mode it may need to be “stamped” 1 or 3 additional times, when the graphic straddles the image bounds, in order to produce the needed wrap-around effect. When Pattern Preview mode is then turned off again, those additional stamps disappear because they are no longer needed (and, in fact, keeping them around would no longer make sense and be incorrect). It might be easier to see if the “lines 5" graphics are isolated (hide the lines 1 - 4 graphics)."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 11, 2022 Jan 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your response, but how do I fix it? I can't send a PSD with invisible icons to a manufacturer.  

Do I just have to rebuild the entire file with Pattern Preview off?  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 11, 2022 Jan 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, I think I figured it out - basically you just have to copy whatever icon you are missing, and then move it to the other side without using Pattern Preview, then test by making a pattern. It's a little bit better than the old school method of making patterns but it's not perfect.

Thanks for your help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 09, 2022 Jun 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey, thanks for your response. What is 'stamping' exactly? And how do we work around this problem long term?

This continues to happen whether I toggle PP on or off. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 30, 2022 Sep 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I have same problem when turning PP off. Only way to not have that happen is when its in PP is to merge the layers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines