• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

So, what's the best, most accurate way to do a grayscale check in Photoshop?

Explorer ,
Mar 18, 2023 Mar 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In other words, as an artist who sometimes uses Photoshop to draw and paint, I like checking if my values are working so I have the practice of switching my work back and forth between grayscale and srgb, but as you might know there are multiple ways to do this, such as:

• Adding a "Black & White" adjustment layer and bringing it to the top.
  • Adding a "Color Fill" adjustment layer with black as the contents, changing the blend mode to "Color" and bringing it to the top.
  • Adding a "Hue/Saturation" adjustment layer, adjusting the "Saturation" slider all the way to the left (-100) and bringing it to the top. (This one is for sure the most innacurate and no one should do this but I'm putting it here anyways)
  •  View > Proof setup > Custom... > Dot Gain 20%. (I saw this one in a YouTube video about colours by the talented Marco Bucci)

So, it would be very helpful to know which one is the most correct method to check values in grayscale when working in Photoshop. Please do tell me if I missed another one that would be more accurate.

I ran some tests, and every single way differs in some way from the other, with none of them being exactly the same when tested over images that are already, by themselves, grayscale.

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Mar 18, 2023 Mar 18, 2023
  • Adding a "Color Fill" adjustment layer with black as the contents, changing the blend mode to "Color" and bringing it to the top.

By @GrungeVoid

This creates the true RGB Luminosity of the image (the RGB equivalent of the Lightness of Lab colour mode), so I'd go with that. Filling with black, white or any gray value should achieve the same result when set to color blend mode).

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

By @GrungeVoid

This creates the true RGB Luminosity of the image (the RGB equivalent of the Lightness of Lab colour mode), so I'd go with that. Filling with black, white or any gray value should achieve the same result when set to color blend mode).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the quick answer! I guess switching a layer on and off takes about the same time and effort as just pressing Ctrl + Y for proofing the colors with "Dot Gain". I was really concerned about this because I didn't want my values to be off every time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I guess switching a layer on and off takes about the same time and effort as just pressing Ctrl + Y for proofing the colors with "Dot Gain".

By @GrungeVoid

You can save and install the following script and assign a keyboard shortcut (presuming that the layer is named "Luminosity Preview"):

// Toggle visibility of "Luminosity Preview" layer
#target photoshop
activeDocument.layers.getByName('Luminosity Preview').visible ^= 1;

1. Copy the code text to the clipboard
  2. Open a new blank file in a plain-text editor (not in a word processor)
  3. Paste the code in
  4. Save as a plain text format file: .txt
  5. Rename the saved file extension from .txt to .jsx
  6. Install or browse to the .jsx file to run (see below)

https://prepression.blogspot.com/2017/11/downloading-and-installing-adobe-scripts.html#Photoshop

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 19, 2023 Mar 19, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The thing about grayscale is that there's always a tone response curve. So there really is no absolute reference grayscale.

In addition, desaturating from RGB can be done in several ways. It can either take the inherent brightness of colors into consideration, as Lab does, or it can ignore that and simply average out the RGB numbers. The difference is dramatic:

desaturation_2.png

Photoshop's Luminosity mode is a hybrid. It is based on the RGB numbers, but weighs them differently according to how sensitive the eye is to different wavelengths. The final formula is somewhere around 25-60-15 or thereabouts (can't recall the exact numbers). Luminosity is similar to Lab L, but it's not identical.

If the emphasis here is on reference, I'd go with Lab L. Lab is at the heart of all color management as a profile connection space (PCS).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines