• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Some layers are merged when exporting from Illustrator to PSD files

Community Beginner ,
Dec 22, 2021 Dec 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have created an illustration with Illustrator. I have put all the elements as individual layers (some are collected in layers).

Upon exporting the file as PSD (write layers, 72ppi, max editability), some of the layers are merged.

Some of the sublayers are absolutely fine and others are merged.

Is there any ways I can export all the layers without merging some of them?

Image below is how it looks on Illustrator. All elements are organised in layers and sublayers.

Screenshot 2021-12-22 at 16.11.27.pngScreenshot 2021-12-22 at 16.11.38.png

The above image is in Photoshop. You can see that right at the bottom, some layers are merged (floor + microwave etc. -  these were layers and sublayers but bundled together.)

TOPICS
Actions and scripting , macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do not install  Illustrator.  However in the latest  Illustrator version 2022 there us a new Option Paste As layers into Photoshop. So Shape and Raster layer willl be pasted into Photoshop. Photoshop has limited Vector support. I'm sure some AI layer need to be rendered as Raster Pixel Layer in Photoshop.  Is it Photoshop or AI merging the AI layers.  IMO it would  have to be AI  for Photoshop  does not have the  vector support to render a Raster pixel version of AI layers. I think your need to address this issue in AI.

The Paste As > Layers option is the new addition to the Illustrator-Photoshop interoperability workf... 

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You have somewhat unrealistic expectations.

A layer in Illustrator (a vector application) is not the same thing as a layer in Photoshop (a pixel editor).Same name, but different things.

Only those parts of the Illustrator layer structure that actually can be translated will open as Photoshop layers. All the vector graphics will open as rasterized pixel data in Photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Feb 06, 2023 Feb 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

True, but Layers don't have anything to do with vector or pixel nature.

When exporting an .ai to .psd, with Write Layers active, the .psd should have the same number of Layers, with the same names and the same visual content (vectors rasterized to pixels).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

No, you misunderstand. Layers have everything to do with pixel or vector structure. Again - a layer in Illustrator is not the same thing as a layer in Photoshop. Pixels or vector isn't some add-on property. It's the fundamental anatomy of the data, how it's built from the ground up.

The new "Paste as Layers" feature from Illustrator to Photoshop is a translation feature. It works within the limits of Photoshop's vector capabilities, which are a very small subset of Illustrator's. Some things still can't be translated.

paste.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the replies.
I updated now and Paste As worked like a treat!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here. All of a sudden. One day, I got all layers, next day some layers are merged on export.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines