• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Something for the weekend - Part 106 - One of our gargoyles is missing!

Community Expert ,
Aug 14, 2020 Aug 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

I was walking past Ripon cathedral this week and looking at the fabulous gargoyles and grotesques high on the side of the building.

SFTW106RiponCathedral.jpg

Then I looked at the space below and thought I wonder what fantastic creature should fill this gap. Which is where you come in...........

The “rules”:

• Anything goes, as long as it meets the forum rules on decency, copyright etc.
  • Anyone, and everyone, is welcome to have a go, whether you are a complete beginner or a Photoshop expert. It also would be great to see all those who have taken part in the previous challenges come and take part in this one.
  • There are no prizes apart from the chance to practice, show off, or bring a bit of humour and fun. Don't be shy, join in and have a go!

To download the image below at 5400 x 4000 pixels with an embedded ICC colour profile (sRGB), hover over the image and click on the circle with the arrows at the top right. Then, when the image opens in its own window, right click and choose “Save Image As/Save Target As” (or similar depending on your browser).

SFTW106GargoyleMissing.jpg

Have fun!

Dave

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is what happened to the last creature that was there. 100% true.

aed.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know which is scarier — the guy balanced precariously with a chainsaw or the gargoyle that is about to eat him!

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Aug 15, 2020 Aug 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Haha, Jane. That's no 'guy' that's Ash from the Evil Dead series. Groovy!

Tv show wasn't as good as the films imho. Evil Dead 2 is the best one but Army of Darkness is infinetly quotable. Should check them out for some dark humour horror. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for getting us started Hothwampa. A suitably scary grotesque 🙂

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To our knowledge (Tamara and me) the Gargoyles arrived in 1220 at this cathedral. By the help of their magical powers they brought attila king of the huns into their community! What means the cornice is complete now again.

SFTW106GargoyleMissing03Attila.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Great to see Tamara getting involved again Hans 🙂

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We'll lend you one of ours from the Washington National Cathedral while yours are being restored, Dave.

https://www.buildingconservation.com/articles/ripon-gargoyle-competition/ripon-gargoyle-competition....

SFTW106GargoyleMissing JE.jpg

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A modern gargoyle ! Thanks for the loan Jane

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Haha - I had a similar thought when I say those Churchillian looking images 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Looks kinda familiar . . .

Dave-Garg.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Haha - nice one Derek 🙂

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I heard he wanted to be immortalised in stone........

SFTW106Gargoyle.jpg

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

... while some of us just want to encase him in stone so he can't do any more damage. Nicely done, Dave!

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hah!  I so wanted to do a Trump gargoyle and you beat me to it.  That is incredibly realistic though Dave.   

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Trevor, no one has beaten you to what you want(ed): Dave specifically mentioned (and showed) gargoyles and grotesques, so both are options.

So far, only Rita has supplied Ripon Cathedral with a gargoyle; unless (the second one of) mine also counts (in one interpretation).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Cheers Trevor. Go for it!

In case anyone is wondering, the gargoyles are used as water spouts, grotesques are not.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Week106.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Good job Rista. I am racking my brains trying to associate the face with 1966. Can you help me out ? 🙂

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dave, the face is that of Worf of Star Trek.  I thought the forehead ridges were enough to identify him; obviously I was wrong.  The original series started to air in 1966.

Worf.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's it!!!

I knew I should know it but couldn't place it 🙂

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Near where I live, there's an otherwise ordinary high-rise from the 1920s with little dragons on each corner:

UptownGarg.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Things like that are going largely unnoticed nowadays because most people have their noses buried in their phones. I mean, who really unless they're in Paris looks for things like that. Obviously we do because we're creatives but by and large we're in the minority. 

Someone had to come up with the idea of the gargoyles, and then create them only to have their efforts largelyignored because everyone is looking down. 

Kinda sad but thanks for sharing. Reminds me of the horror film 'Tales from the Darkside' the movie one, not the tv show. Last story in that featured a gargoyle.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines