• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Something for the Weekend - Part 160 - Stay sharp!

Community Expert ,
Apr 15, 2022 Apr 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Thanks to all who took part in our last 'elevator' challenge, there were some great ideas and images.

This week we start with a safety pin. What can you make with this simple object?

The “rules”:

* Anything goes, as long as it meets the forum rules on decency, copyright etc

* Anyone, and everyone, is welcome to have a go, whether you are a complete beginner or a Photoshop expert. This is not just for our forum "regulars".

* There are no prizes apart from the chance to practice, show off, or bring a bit of humour and fun. Don't be shy, join in and have a go!

* The starter image is made available for you to use in this forum challenge only.

To download the image below at full size, hover over the image and click on the circle with the arrows at the top right. Then, when the image opens in its own window, right click and choose “Save Image As/Save Target As” (or similar depending on your browser). On opening, you should also find a path in the paths panel should you wish to use it to create a mask.

SFTW160_Safety_Pin.jpg

When posting back your image – please use the blue reply button in this first post. If posting a comment on someone else’s entry then please use the grey reply button next to their image post.

Have fun

Dave

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
replies 126 Replies 126
Community Expert ,
Apr 24, 2022 Apr 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jacob. We're being cryptic so will be more direct in this post. 

I assume what Dave saw, which is why he was amused, was a baby pin. That's what I originally had in mind.

Looking at it again, I saw the small pin as an arm.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 25, 2022 Apr 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I saw a pregnant pin - hence the laugh.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dave - you saw what I had originally intended. 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 23, 2022 Apr 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm assuming I'm seeing the same thing as Dave.  The idea could have come out of Ged's play book, and like Nancy's place setting, it has a nice designed feel to it.  As to how to do something like that, I like to use nested Smart Objects. Isolate the pin and make it an SO. Use FT > Warp > Custom > Bulge.  Make that a nest SO and use FT > Custom > Arch etc.  That you can step back and fine tune, plus using the FT > Custom tool tends to do a tidier job of reshapping objects.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Trevor. I tried to apply what you've suggested but couldn't follow all the steps.
I assume FT is Free Transform. My approach was - Edit > Transform > Warp and then manually move nodes to bend the line.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I always make elements perpendicular when possible, so the usual run the Ruler tool along the centre line and use Straighten in the Options Bar.

Make this layer a Smart Object (SO) and use Fre Transform (FT) > Warp > Custom Bulge to fatten the pin.

image.png

We can't perform another FT > Warp because being an SO it would only allow us to edit the previous FT, so we make the SO a Nested SO.  This also works when you need multiple layer masks .

Use FT > Warp > Custom again, but this time I have gone with Flag.  When I look at the result below I'm thinking I should have used a higer value with Bulge, but it's an SO so no problem

image.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

SFTW160_Safety_Pin_Puppet.jpg

Another way of doing this, which I found easier than using the Free Transform, is to use the Puppet Warp tool. Use the clipping path to create a selection of the safety pin and put it on its own layer. Convert to Smart obect. Invoke Puppet Warp. Play around with the number and location of pins you use (the fewer the better on the "belly" side, I used one at the sharp end, one in the middle, and one at the bottom). Include anchor pins on the top and bottom so it stays upright. Slide the middle pin to get the desired shape and the top pin to move the sharp end in. Since it is a Smart Object you can go back and adjust the pins as needed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 28, 2022 Apr 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Rafael.

I tried the Puppet Warp. Still need to get the hang of it.

SFTW160_SafetyPin_baby2.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Apr 28, 2022 Apr 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are welcome, Dean. The Puppet Tool is not very intuitive, for sure. The position and number of anchor pins has a major impact on the results. I watched a couple of tutorials on YouTube to pick up some useful tips. It seems best suited for rotating limbs or parts of the image around a pivot point. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6h6AZ9XV9-I&t=303s

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 22, 2022 Apr 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That brought back some horrible memories for us of a certain age.

SFTW-160-clippy.jpg

Best regards, Euan.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 22, 2022 Apr 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh that takes me back! Horrible memories indeed!

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One of Microsoft's blunders, along with "Bob." lol

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am of a certain age, but lucky enough to have seen it just a few times on computers of the unlucky ones having (and even using) Worst, as I remember some of those victims call it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hah!  That's more like Clippy's evil twin with those eyes.  Another well seen idea Euan.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had not clicked that it was the old MS 'help' tool until the other replies started coming through. Now I remember. I must have repressed those bad memories. 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

“It looks like you're writing a letter!”

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 05, 2022 May 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sadly I hear that since Microsoft showed Clippy the door, he has not fared very well and is

currently in the gig economy.

Clippy-Loo-out.jpg

Best regards, Euan.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 05, 2022 May 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Brilliant Euan 🙂 !

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Anomalia""Anomalia"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Very cool movement! This reminds me of something that could be seen in Dr. Harold Edgerton's strobe photography!! NICE! - Murphy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's like an old photo of a Ferris wheel - I like it James

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

... I had three different compositions started... THANKS for the challenge! Have a great week.  -Murphy MURPHY_another idea_SFTW160_Safety_Pin2022.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

❤️ I love this @mamma murph !

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, Jane!

I combined the safety pin with 2 images from my vintage postcard collection! : )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I't so nice having proper artists involved with SFTW.  Where's Leslie?  Her original artwork made us all smile.  I'd love to have half of her talent.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines