• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Something for the Weekend - Part 179 - Life's a beach!

Community Expert ,
Jan 06, 2023 Jan 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We had a lot of fun with our end of year challenge in the snow. So, for our first challenge in 2023, I thought we might exchange the cold snow for warmer sand and head for the beach. I snapped this particular beach, at Sangobeg on the North coast of Scotland, a few years ago. It is a lovely place, even if the temperature is a bit lower than the Caribbean. The question is - what can you make with this empty scene?

The “rules”:

* Anything goes, as long as it meets the forum rules on decency, copyright etc

* Anyone, and everyone, is welcome to have a go, whether you are a complete beginner or a Photoshop expert. This is not just for our forum "regulars".

* There are no prizes apart from the chance to practice, show off, or bring a bit of humour and fun. Don't be shy, join in and have a go!

* The starter image is made available for you to use in this forum challenge only.

To download the image below, hover over the image and click on the circle with the arrows at the top right. Then, when the image opens in its own window, right click and choose “Save Image As/Save Target As” (or similar depending on your browser).

SFTW179-Lifes-a-beach.jpg

When posting back your image – please use the blue reply button in this first post. If posting a comment on someone else’s entry then please use the grey reply button next to their image post.

Have fun.

Dave

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
replies 153 Replies 153
Community Expert ,
Jan 07, 2023 Jan 07, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's a pretty cool perspective. how did you do that?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks! I used the rectangular and polygonal selection tools to copy parts of the image to their own layers, then the Free Transform tool to rotate, enlarge, and/or distort the selections as needed. I used the Patch tool and the Clone Stamp tool on parts of the sky to minimize repeating patterns. I drew a straight line with a soft brush along the diagonal (on its own layer) and blurred it. I used layer masks as needed to eliminate the "seams" where the different parts met.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 08, 2023 Jan 08, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Highly creative. I love that.

ABAMBO | Hard- and Software Engineer | Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you very much.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I like it Rafael, nicely done 🙂

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Dave.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 18, 2023 Jan 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great work Rafael. Who says the earth is not flat? 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Jan 18, 2023 Jan 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, Dean. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's hard to believe, but this first went out in 1967, so I might be the only person who saw it. 😞

image.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"The Prisoner"? I loved that show!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's two of us then Rafael.  I spent an afternoon on the endless beach at Portmeirion (where they filmed The Prisoner).  My dog — an English Setter — ran and ran for hours chasing seagulls.  I was worried that her heart would explode!  We saw some tourists get murdered in cold blood by those big white balloons, so we legged it back to England and civilisation. 

I found this image while looking for image elements.  Would that be 16mm?  It's interesting that a TV show from that long ago would actually have had been made with excellent image quality, and then broardcast in that horible 625 lines (PAL) and only 570 odd lines were active.  I wonder if they ever remastered the show for modern broadcast standards?   

image.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Very cool, Trevor!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 09, 2023 Jan 09, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ironically, the balloon was called "Rover" in the series.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Very good Trevor - The Prisoner was a bit before my time. I'll have to watch it one day.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Come on over, I have the DVD set. 😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is also a 2009 Remake for some younger kids here 😉

regards,
Henrik

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I may have went OTT 😀

SFTW179-Lifes-a-beach1.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am getting a goonies feel here. Nice work. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This looks like a beach from Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy, if they actually had a beach.  It's really artful Ged.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm looking for Dali on his afternoon walk ! 🙂

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The image looked a bit like the backgrounds the show Naked and Afraid uses for their titles, so I modified the image and uh, the title:

SFTW179-Lifes-a-beach-Myra-Ferguson.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This would be better then some of those naked and afraid show spots. This is great. 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks! 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm glad you just chose the title lettering Myra - we might have had to censor it 🙂

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

SFTW179-Lifes-a-beach.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines