• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Something for the Weekend - Part 180 - Wheels within wheels

Community Expert ,
Jan 20, 2023 Jan 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We did have a lot of entries to our previous beach challenge. Everyone must have been in the mood for a day at the beach.

This time I bring you two views of a simple object - a cog wheel. What can you make with it? You can use one or both views. I wonder if the animators amongst you can turn it into a full blown machine!  Show us your creativity!

The “rules”:

* Use the starter image as at least part of your own image entry.

* Anything goes, as long as it meets the forum rules on decency, copyright etc

* Anyone, and everyone, is welcome to have a go, whether you are a complete beginner or a Photoshop expert. This is not just for our forum "regulars".

* There are no prizes apart from the chance to practice, show off, or bring a bit of humour and fun. Don't be shy, join in and have a go!

* The starter image is made available for you to use in this forum challenge only. Sorry to emphasise this, but the image is not for use elsewhere.

To download the image below, hover over the image and click on the circle with the arrows at the top right. I've made the background transparent to save you cutting it out. Then, when the image opens in its own window, right click and choose “Save Image As/Save Target As” (or similar depending on your browser).

SFTW180GearWheel.png

When posting back your image – please use the blue reply button in this first post. If posting a comment on someone else’s entry then please use the grey reply button next to their image post.

Have fun.

Dave

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
replies 139 Replies 139
Advocate ,
Jan 27, 2023 Jan 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Aviles_230127_6716-Edit.jpg

Frustration

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 28, 2023 Jan 28, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I like that Rafael, the distortion fits the crumpled paper very nicely 🙂

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, Dave. I have a confession to make, though. My Photoshop skills are not nearly as good as would be needed to make this image there. So, I printed your beautiful image on a sheet of white paper, I crumpled it, and took a picture of it. Voilá! ☺️

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Now that is real design, Rafael; and excellent.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you kindly, Jacob.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lateral thinking Rafael. The technique counts and is a good lesson in showing that the old ways can still work best 🙂

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you very much.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 30, 2023 Jan 30, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, Dave. I have a confession to make, though. My Photoshop skills are not nearly as good as would be needed to make this image there. So, I printed your beautiful image on a sheet of white paper, I crumpled it, and took a picture of it. Voilá! ☺️

By @Rafael Aviles

Hah!  I totally thought it was a maxed out displacement map.  Blimey, we'll be having a SFTW marbling session next.  Hmmmm...  I've got some accrylic paints in the garage.  I just need my Chris to pop out so I can use a baking tray. 

image.png

I think the most common use of marbling nowadays is with electric guitar bodies.

image.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's not a “confession”. That's the strike of a genius. I rarely saw such a realistic crumple texture. It may be because every so often, it's easier to do the real thing, before going virtual…

ABAMBO | Hard- and Software Engineer | Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, Abambo.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Happy New Year from Sydney. 
Amazing what they can do with fireworks these days.

Syd_NYE.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dean, it's the images projected on the Opera House that I have found most impressive. I wouldn't want to get between the laser projector and the Opera House for fear of being cut in half.  If that laser was fitted to a Jedi lightsaber, the power would have to have been wound up to a Spinal Tap Eleven!

image.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, the Vivid light show on buildings is quite amazing. Here is Vivid display on teh Opera House from 11 or so years ago. Has become more sophisticated since then.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WB8aEpx_hdk 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's interesting Dean, as it appears to show the path of the laser from way across the water.  I've always assumed that the source was much closer to the Opera House, but I am guessing that projector is actually somewhere near the bridge.

image.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

From what I've read, the source is from the Overseas Passenger Treminal which is opposite from the Opera House on the bridge side but not right next to it. Here's a map:
https://goo.gl/maps/xBuJgWX8Aiuh2ZrKA

Many large projectors being used.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 29, 2023 Jan 29, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Citius, Altius, Fortius!Citius, Altius, Fortius!

Citius, Altius, Fortius

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Olympic cogwheels - a new sport is formed 🙂

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dave

By @davescm

Do you think that they can rotate?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 31, 2023 Jan 31, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

'Do you think that they can rotate?'

With a bit of magic - of course 🙂

OlympicCogs.gif

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 01, 2023 Feb 01, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Definately has some magic in rotating fully and not getting stuck.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@davescm wrote:

Very nicely done, Dave! Now that they are turning, have they become Olympic gears?

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great! 😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Fun neckless and headband! Plqying with brushes!Neckless.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@chanaart,

I love that! Great art! 😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Chana, is that you?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines