• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Something for the Weekend - Part 192 - Get a grip!

Community Expert ,
Jul 07, 2023 Jul 07, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This weekend's start image is brought to us by community expert @jane-e  
Jane took this picture whilst visiting the Audubon State Historic Site in St. Francisville, Louisiana. It is a metalwork vice (or should I spell that vise for our friends in the US) and our challenge is to use it in the creation of a new image.

The “rules”:

* Use the starter image as at least part of your own image entry.

* Anything goes, as long as it meets the forum rules on decency, copyright etc

* Anyone, and everyone, is welcome to have a go, whether you are a complete beginner or a Photoshop expert. This is not just for our forum "regulars".

* There are no prizes apart from the chance to practice, show off, or bring a bit of humour and fun. Don't be shy, join in and have a go!

* The starter image is made available for you to use in this forum challenge only. Sorry to emphasise this, but the image is not for use elsewhere.

To download the image below, hover over the image and click on the circle with the arrows at the top right.

Then, when the image opens in its own window, right click and choose “Save Image As/Save Target As” (or similar depending on your browser).

SFTW192Vice.jpg

When posting back your image – please use the blue reply button in this first post. If posting a comment on someone else’s entry then please use the grey reply button next to their image post.

Have fun.

Dave

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
replies 112 Replies 112
Community Expert ,
Jul 17, 2023 Jul 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you very much, Dave.

A former Vice President in more than one sense already, his being one met the requirement of being tough and tightlipped during tough times of serious secrets.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 17, 2023 Jul 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I set the close up size to reveal more, Alan; a reminder to elaborate on that paragraph.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 20, 2023 Jul 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Our 14-day weekend is drawing to a close...

Thank you to Dave for allowing my vise (vice) picture to be used in this challenge — it's been fun to see so much creativity from this group with my own image! Here's the blacksmith forging a metal "something" for us. First he heats it in the coals, then he beats it into shape.

Blacksmith2.jpg

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you very much for sharing, Jane.

I believe this was taken after the starter image, or someone would have cleared the bench for it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The starter image was the last taken Jacob; this one was fourth. Nothing on the ledge was touched or moved during the demo. The image on the far right in the first row that I called "something" is a duplicate of what he made in the demo.

Audobon.jpg

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jane,

I was convinced that the upturned part of the ironwork beside the large hook would have shown in front of the plank holding the vice, owing to the much lower angle in the starter image.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I always think how hard it must be to pound all day with a heavy hammer.  This blacksmith is getting on in years, and even uses a hand air pump for his forge, so I bet he is tough as can be.  He'd hardly feel the weight of the well earned pint of beer he uses strictly for rehydration purposes, after a long day working his forge,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

True in the old days, Trevor, but "this" blacksmith is employed by the Louisiana Office of State Parks and does demos. The rest of the time he's educating tourists up at the house. It was over 100°F that day.

His handiwork is used on-site — I asked!

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

His handiwork is used on-site — I asked!

Jane

By @jane-e

I can imagine.  

image.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 21, 2023 Jul 21, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Haha - very good Trevor.

I've not used a forge since metalwork class at school. That was back in the days when you were allowed to work with tools and hot metal, and burning yourself meant that you wouldn't pick up the hot end again. Lesson learnt! 🙂

Dave 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 21, 2023 Jul 21, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One of my brothers taught metalwork and woodwork at a secondary school, and has told me about pupils heating up files and leaving them for others to pick up. Or making those Kung Fu throwing star things.  I did two weeks at the Thames Foundry during my apprenticeship, and managed to get a nasty burn.  I was scared I'd get into trouble so didn't tell the instructor until I couldn't bare it any longer.  I don't remember his reaction.  I just remember being sent to medical.  The only other time I had to go to the medical was when I got a toe crushed by a hovercraft.  Wow.  I actually found a picture. 

image.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 24, 2023 Aug 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Junkyard dragon, tried to use as much generative as possible
Layer 1.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 29, 2023 Sep 29, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Welcome PedroMacro , that's a nice result 🙂 Sorry I missed this reply when you posted it, I was away at the time.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines