• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Something for the Weekend - Part 193 - Keep it up!

Community Expert ,
Jul 21, 2023 Jul 21, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

We had some great entries to our last 'vice' challenge, thanks to all who took part.

This week we have Clifford's tower in York. Originally a wooden structure built on the mound in around 1068 it was rebuilt in stone in the 13th century and repaired and restored in the 16th century. It has a long, and sometimes gruesome, history and has been a castle keep, a military prison, and even a royal mint. The name, incidentally, comes from Roger De Clifford a Baron who was executed for treason in 1322 at the tower.

So we have the tower and the mound, what can you do to show the next chapter in its history, hopefully more peaceful than its past?

The “rules”:

* Use the starter image as at least part of your own image entry.

* Anything goes, as long as it meets the forum rules on decency, copyright etc

* Anyone, and everyone, is welcome to have a go, whether you are a complete beginner or a Photoshop expert. This is not just for our forum "regulars".

* There are no prizes apart from the chance to practice, show off, or bring a bit of humour and fun. Don't be shy, join in and have a go!

* The starter image is made available for you to use in this forum challenge only. Sorry to emphasise this, but the image is not for use elsewhere.

To download the image below, hover over the image and click on the circle with the arrows at the top right.

Then, when the image opens in its own window, right click and choose “Save Image As/Save Target As” (or similar depending on your browser).

SFTW193_Cliffords_Tower.jpg

When posting back your image – please use the blue reply button in this first post. If posting a comment on someone else’s entry then please use the grey reply button next to their image post.

Have fun.

Dave

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
replies 133 Replies 133
Community Expert ,
Jul 27, 2023 Jul 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dave,

I know there are stairs on the other side and there used to be a moat and that Clifford's Tower is the keep of York Castle because I looked it up. I am wondering, though, if this mound is the hill that the Noble Duke of York marched his 10,000 men up and then marched them down again?

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's a nice thought Jane but the origin of that rhyme is attributed to several possible locations, none of which are in York. One possibility is Cassel in Flanders, France.

Of course this being SFTW, and given Photoshop, anything is possible.....  🙂

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the history lesson, Dave! 😊

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 29, 2023 Jul 29, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the history lesson, Dave! 😊

Jane

By @jane-e

Jane, I can picture the expression on your face as you typed that. 😉   Unfortunately, us men are genetically compelled to explain stuff in minute detail, and all the more so when doing so to ladies.  🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 30, 2023 Jul 30, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Trevor, I hate to disappoint you, but I was just appreciative and went on to read more 😊

"Prince Frederick, Duke of York and Albany (1763-1827) was the second son of King George III and the Commander-in-Chief of the British Army during the French Revolutionary and Napoleonic Wars. He was sent to Flanders as part of a coalition intent on invading France in 1793. The campaign was a total failure and the French forced the invaders back in to Holland.The Duke made an appearance before Cassel when he attempted to oust the French revolutionary garrison. He didn’t succeed and his failure became a popular rhyme."

I now know who the current Duke of York is.

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Even if the GODY didn't march his troops up and down that hill, check out the opening shot in this video! I didn't know there was such a thing as a Museum of Automata, far less that it was here!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 28, 2023 Jul 28, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

SFTW193_Cliffords_Tower_JEL.jpg

Today, the Mayor, who was seen proclaiming “Keep it up!” throughout the festivities, encouraged trade shops to celebrate the anniversary of Clifford's tower by offering souvenirs and themed sweets, such as this replica layered cake prominently featured in a local bakery window.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So clever!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is clever, in both idea and execution. Well done indeed !  🙂

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I first thought of some Album Cover Art, but then I came up with this hot summer and winter extreme sports idea 😉

SFTW193_Cliffords_Tower Kopie.jpg

regards,
Henrik

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ski downhill while avoiding the molten rivers of lava...I dig, I dig. lol

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If that is the future of York, I may move further away 🙂

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Something seems to be broken

Sftw_part193.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I may have left a tap running whilst I was last there 🙂

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just needs a new washer, so about $999.99 dollars plus tax, to call the plumber out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Never mind the tax. I'll glue it on.

(An ancient Charlie Drake gag, iirc.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 02, 2023 Aug 02, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Clifford's Waterslide — in York's newest theme park!

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

SFTW193_Cliffords_Tower submitted.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 31, 2023 Jul 31, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Alright, who pinched the stones? Was it for ballast?

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 31, 2023 Jul 31, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Look out below!

SFTW193TowerBalls.gif

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 01, 2023 Aug 01, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't help but see a hundred yellow Labs gathered at the bottom of the mound, Dave, all of them thinking, "Oh, yay! It's time to play fetch!" 😊

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Then those Labs taking them to Myra's image to get them rolled back up again 🙂

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Im fascinated. Impressive

.....Suzanne Mathia

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Really fun!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you.

It's a simple particle simulation in Blender 3D with the rendered frames composited with the original image.

2023-08-02_21-04-21.jpg

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines