• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Something for the Weekend - Part 194 - Monkeying around!

Community Expert ,
Aug 04, 2023 Aug 04, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Thanks to everyone who took part in our previous, Clifford's Tower, challenge. There were some great ideas and images.

This weekend, I bring you the Hartlepool monkey. The legend behind this statue is well known in northern England and it is said that a monkey was hanged during the Napoleonic wars as it was believed to be a French spy from a ship. Whether that really happened, or not, is subject to debate and, although the story was used locally to taunt the folk of Hartlepool, they turned it around and celebrate it. In 2002 they even elected a mayor who campaigned in a monkey costume under the name of H'Angus the Monkey!

I thought, if the Hartlepudlians can have fun with it then so can we. So, what can you do with it?

The “rules”:

* Use the starter image as at least part of your own image entry.

* Anything goes, as long as it meets the forum rules on decency, copyright etc

* Anyone, and everyone, is welcome to have a go, whether you are a complete beginner or a Photoshop expert. This is not just for our forum "regulars".

* There are no prizes apart from the chance to practice, show off, or bring a bit of humour and fun. Don't be shy, join in and have a go!

* The starter image is made available for you to use in this forum challenge only. Sorry to emphasise this, but the image is not for use elsewhere.

To download the image below, hover over the image and click on the circle with the arrows at the top right.

Then, when the image opens in its own window, right click and choose “Save Image As/Save Target As” (or similar depending on your browser).

SFTW194_Hartlepool_Monkey.jpg

When posting back your image – please use the blue reply button in this first post. If posting a comment on someone else’s entry then please use the grey reply button next to their image post.

Have fun.

Dave

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Foreboding warning of one of my favourite books.

SFTW194_Book-Monkey.jpg

Best regards, Euan.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You got in fast again this week Euan! I've not seen a Frankie Howerd image for years 🙂

I'll have to look out for teh Space Team book

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 13, 2023 Aug 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One of my favourite stories about Frankie Howard was when he and (I think) Tony Hancock, visited Kenneth Williams at his London flat, and the first thing Kenneth said to them was, 'If you need to use the loo, you'll have have to go down the road'.  It seems to me that a lot commedians from that time s suffered from Depression.

Right now, I am in a hotel overlooking Coco Cabana beach having had my vacation touring South America interrupted by COVID.   This is after a dirty barstard waiter in Buenos Aires thought it was OK to be at work, and breathing all over us, in between blowing his nose and coughing into his hand which he then used to hand drinks to us.  My Chris declined having a drink, but we should have got up and walked out as half of our group now has COVID. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Saw the meager offerings and decided that the monkey deserved more.

SFTW194_Hartlepool_Monkey_Treasure.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Haha - excellent work GC !

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Monkey Jungle Hellscape
monkey-hellscape.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A scary forest Joseph! Nice work.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hartlepool thought it would be a good idea to use the monkey to collect money for charity. The monkey was surprised and delighted when a thoughtful tourist had other ideas!

SFTW194_Hartlepool_Monkey JE02.jpg

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Aw, I was going to do that. I'll have to think of a new one now! Nice idea Jane.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Dave! Two people followed me with their own versions of Don Quixote, so please proceed with your banana scene!

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dawn of Creation

SFTW194_Hartlepool_Monkey_copy-2-2.jpg

.....Suzanne Mathia

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's a clever idea smathia. 🙂

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Only 4 months until the holidays!3monkeychristmas.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Welcome to SFTW GeekyGirlRex. I'll have to start my shopping......arghhhhh!

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Monkey family.

SFTW194_Hartlepool_Monkies.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 05, 2023 Aug 05, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Clever!

.....Suzanne Mathia

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's very nicely put together Dean - well done!

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Smathia and Dave.

Maybe the little one will help with collections 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 13, 2023 Aug 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Most exquisite, Dean.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

SFTW194_Hartlepool_Monkey.png

Business as usual

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Looks like business is going well 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 08, 2023 Aug 08, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I love the bling !

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

SFTW194_Hartlepool_Monkey.png

Creative Community Leader / Educator - Empowering fellow educators with creativity and innovation

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 08, 2023 Aug 08, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Family to feed ! The tattoo is a nice touch

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines