• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Something for the Weekend - Part 197 - Monstrous!

Community Expert ,
Sep 15, 2023 Sep 15, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you to @jane-e for creating our last 'BB-8' SFTW challenge, and to all who took part in it.

A couple of weeks ago many folk descended on Loch Ness, in Scotland, to search for the famous monster, which is said to inhabit the loch. No-one found anything, but the legend continues. At 23 miles long and 755 feet deep there is plenty of water there, but over the years there have only been a few grainy and blurry photographs of something in the water.

The following week, I was standing on the shore of the loch on a very calm morning and got to thinking that 'team Photoshop' could help put this right. So this is where you come in.

Can you show us your explanation of what the 'monster' might be or might look like?

The “rules”:

• Use the starter image as at least part of your own image entry.
  • Anything goes, as long as it meets the forum rules on decency, copyright, etc.
  • Anyone, and everyone, is welcome to have a go, whether you are a complete beginner or a Photoshop expert. This is not just for our forum “regulars”.
  • There are no prizes apart from the chance to practice, show off, or bring a bit of humour and fun. Don't be shy, join in and have a go!
  • The starter image is made available for you to use in this forum challenge only. Sorry to emphasize this, but the image is not for use elsewhere.

To download the image below, hover over the image and click on the circle with the arrows at the top right.

Then, when the image opens in its own window, right click and choose “Save Image As/Save Target As” (or similar depending on your browser).
SFTW197_Loch_Ness.jpg

When posting back your image — please use the blue reply button in this first post and use the 'Insert Photos' icon at the top of the reply box. If posting a comment on someone else’s entry, then please use the grey reply button next to their image post.

Have fun!

Dave

TOPICS
Experiment

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
replies 129 Replies 129
Community Expert ,
Sep 20, 2023 Sep 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

landscape.png

Landscape. Quite time. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 21, 2023 Sep 21, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As tranquil as the morning I was there Chana 🙂

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Trash monster

SFTW197_Loch_Ness-MyraFerguson.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

At first I saw a pile of trash - then the lurking eye just waiting.............! Great idea Myra

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks! 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It reminds me of some of Jame's uploads.  Always something darker hidden within an already dark and moody image.

I love that you have keep the trash true to the outline of what a lake monster might look like, and with an eye so perfectly placed.  Like Dave suggested, once you have seen that eye it becomes hard to look away from.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you. I added the trash heap first and then put a few bits on the shore. It was an unpleasant image, but I thought it needed something more. That's when I added the eye... and it took on a life of its own. 😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We have our own version of the monster here in Lake Champlain:

SFTW197_Loch_Ness submitted.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Haha, all good stretches of deep water should have a monster Bob 🙂

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 23, 2023 Sep 23, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Where what, I don't see a Monster Bob? More a miniscule Robert

Best regards, Euan.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Euan, Lake Champlain has both a monster and a mascot:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Champ_(folklore)

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What do they put in the water there Bob?  Your monster looks pie-eyed. 😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Always shocked at how well the Generative Fill works. 

SFTW197_Loch_Ness.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Always shocked at how well the Generative Fill works. 

By @Andy Tells Things

Why is it that Generative Fill is so crap at rendering hands and fingers, and sometimes can't even do convincing legs, but has no problem with alien tentacles?  As for the sight seeing tourists in the boat, what the heck are they thinking?  It reminds me of that scene in Yellow stone where a bus full of Japanese tourists wonder onto a Dutton paddock to stroke a grisly bear.    Innocently vying for a Darwin award.

Being serious for a moment, I love how well Generative Fill does reflections.  There's another example in SFTW 197 where the reflection is broken by one of those rocks in the forground. That must have made the render more complex, but it was perfect.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Trevor,

"Why is it that ... has no problem with alien tentacles"

Why is it that everyone seems to assume that the A in AI stands for Artificial?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 27, 2023 Sep 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Welcome Andy. You are right about AI on some subjects, but on others I am equally surprised the other way !

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 25, 2023 Sep 25, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the fun project 

image.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Maria - welcome to SFTW and thanks for sharing your image. It's nice to see your monster puts safety first and wears his/her bouyancy aid. 🙂

You may want to look at blending in (or masking out)  the rectangle around the monster for a smoother image.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am see image uploads cropped on the foprum today, and I am having to do a hard reset (Ctrl F5) to be able to expand images.  The height is OK, but width missing a big chunk from either side.  Is it just me or is anyone else seeing this?  I am using Chrome BTW.   

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's not just you.

I'm on Chrome, too.

Edit: It happens on Edge as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's also happening in Safari on my iPad Trevor.

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 26, 2023 Sep 26, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Click/RightClick to get closer, Click again to get closer still, and see

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I see something happening on the hill Jacob, but I'm unsure what it is 🙂

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Fully grown and old as the hills, Nessie is well hidden but still keeping an eye on the loch, ever ready for a wee dip and hoping for a quiet future in it when everyone tires of searching, Dave.

I wonder how many have spotted the fisherman waiting for the big catch, albeit hardly realizing how big.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 28, 2023 Sep 28, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jurassic secrets hidden beneath the calm waters.SFTW197_Loch_Ness_cheizer.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines