• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Something for the Weekend - Part 198 - Spanner in the works!

Community Expert ,
Sep 29, 2023 Sep 29, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We had some great images and interpretations of our last Loch Ness challenge. Thanks to all who took part.

This week, rather than a scene, we have a spanner, or wrench for those on the western side of the atlantic ocean.

How creative you can get with this spanner?

The “rules”:

• Use the starter image as at least part of your own image entry.
  • Anything goes, as long as it meets the forum rules on decency, copyright, etc.
  • Anyone, and everyone, is welcome to have a go, whether you are a complete beginner or a Photoshop expert. This is not just for our forum “regulars”.
  • There are no prizes apart from the chance to practice, show off, or bring a bit of humour and fun. Don't be shy, join in and have a go!
  • The starter image is made available for you to use in this forum challenge only. Sorry to emphasize this, but the image is not for use elsewhere.

To download the image below, hover over the image and click on the circle with the arrows at the top right.

Then, when the image opens in its own window, right click and choose “Save Image As/Save Target As” (or similar depending on your browser).

SFTW198Spanner.png

When posting back your image — please use the blue reply button in this first post and use the 'Insert Photos' icon at the top of the reply box. If posting a comment on someone else’s entry, then please use the grey reply button next to their image post.

Have fun!

Dave

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
replies 172 Replies 172
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For when your nuts are really tight

SFTW198Spanner-D.jpg

(I'm sorry I got torqued into it)

and Friday rolls around and yes it'll be a big wrench but we'll have to think castles now 😉

Best regards, Euan.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for getting us started Euan. If that long spanner doesn't work then we might need a bit of heat from Trevor's fire breathing Loch Ness monster in teh last SFTW 🙂

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Spanner Wrench

Click/RightClick to get closer, Click again to get closer still

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Click/RightClick to get closer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Very good Jacob, bonus points for combining last and this weeks' themes.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The longer you look at this Jacob, the more you see.  It takes on shapes and becomes alive.  I can almost hear it talking.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you very much for sharing, Trevor, really intriguing.

Statements like yours here in SFTW keep deepening my insight in the vast differences in the sense of sight, as a crucial part of perception.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Most of my wrenches aren't metric.

SFTW198Spanner submitted.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Haha! I still have some non-metric spanners and sockets, but rarely find a use for them these days.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bob, I believe most of us over here have both kinds, and in many cases they can be used interchangeably.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 30, 2023 Sep 30, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I was in my spanner swinging years I used a set of Metrinch.

As the name implies, they fit both metric and imperial sizes due to sitting on

the flanks of fasteners. No turning your nuts off.

https://youtu.be/-AXs_8hetE8?si=QzHFIrsh65Ce98DZ

Best regards, Euan.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

SFTW198Spanner submitted 2.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hiding in plain sight Bob 🙂

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bob is that a display in your hardware shop?  I LOVE hardware shops.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree, there is little beats a browse around a good tool shop.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I love smaller hardware shops like yours, Bob, as opposed to the Big Box stores like Home Depot. I'm curious, though, as to why you only have one of each item on your pegboard?

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 01, 2023 Oct 01, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Trevor, Dave, Jane,

I have been reluctant to grass on Bob, but we are looking at his own pegboard, of course.

Apart from that, there is the small tool shop secret:

By only keeping one of each up there, and replacing when sold, it keeps punters on their toes, securing the last one when they may need one some day.

And then you always know when a replacement is needed: whenever one is sold.

A win win win: More sales, less effort, satisfaction of hoarding justified (also when telling the mrs).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 13, 2023 Oct 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm just glad to see no gaps. Don't you hate it when people borrow tools and don't return them!

Best regards, Euan.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Edward Spannerhands

SFTW198Spanner_Edward.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Clever GC.  Drive into the garage and be greeted by that mechanic!

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

SFTW198-JEL.jpg

Time for another rebus!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A challenge within a challenge! I came up with two possible answers. I'll not put them here though. Maybe you can tell us the solution later in the week when others have had a go.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 24, 2023 Oct 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And now for the correct answer: “Stick a wrench in it.”

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Every workshop has something like this on the wall.  Unfortunately there is always someone who ignores the warning.  I have seen large hammers fly across the workshop. The same person left hanging with the gantry crane hooked into the army webbing belt he wore outside his overalls — and no one was brave enough to let him down. (Both incidents happened in the 70s)

image.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines