• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Something for the Weekend - Part 208 - Disturbing the peace!

Community Expert ,
Feb 16, 2024 Feb 16, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks to all who took part in our last, dragons lair, challenge.

This week we find ourselves on a quiet day on the mountainside at Aonach Mor. All very peaceful until....

Well that is for you to decide.

The “rules”:

• Use the starter image as at least part of your own image entry.
  • Anything goes, as long as it meets the forum rules on decency, copyright, etc.
  • Anyone, and everyone, is welcome to have a go, whether you are a complete beginner or a Photoshop expert. This is not just for our forum “regulars”.
  • There are no prizes apart from the chance to practice, show off, or bring a bit of humour and fun. Don't be shy, join in and have a go!
  • The starter image is made available for you to use in this forum challenge only.

To download the image,  hover over the image and click on the circle with the arrows at the top right.

Then, when the image opens in its own window, right click and choose “Save Image As/Save Target As” (or similar depending on your browser).

SFTW208CableCar.jpg

When posting back your image — please use the blue reply button in this first post and use the 'Insert Photos' icon at the top of the reply box. If posting a comment on someone else’s entry, then please use the grey reply button next to their image post.

Have fun!

Dave

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Feb 19, 2024 Feb 19, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks! 🙂

Honestly, the background was all from one Adobe Stock image:

https://stock.adobe.com/images/solar-eclipse-elements-of-this-image-furnished-by-nasa/271895563

I used the Crop tool with Generative Expand to add more of the cables, but they didn't exactly line up so I had to fix that a bit manually. 

Then I added little lights to the tops of the towers and the gondolas.

And then I masked out some of the bottom of the towers and the last two gondolas to make them look like they were coming out of the clouds.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I love it! A cable car to the top of the world!  🙂

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks! 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 18, 2024 Feb 18, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

SFTW208CableCar (1).jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So this is the other Aonach Mor?  The one in Iceland.   The smoke looks like ghostly apparitions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That will certainly keep the walkers feet warm, Mike. 🙂

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In my mind ... if it was a bit more realistic, there would be more snow and more sports people. Have fun.

Firefly 20240219043103.png

regards,
Henrik

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is a very popular spot for mountain bikes. The bikes go on the side of the gondalas then the bikers go hurtling down the side at speeds which involve putting common sense and self preservation to one side for a while! 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Come 2 MamaCome 2 Mama

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

...and I thought the mountain sports looked dangerous ! 🙂

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

February in Aspen with Global warming

SFTW208CableCar.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just a tiny off topic, but too good not to share.  YouTube put a three year old video from Kyle Webster on my feed today, and it had some very cool tips.  I almost never use the Mixer brush, and certaily didn't realise it could do what Kyle demonstrated.  

With the Mixer brush selected, make sure that Load Solid Colors Only is unchecked.

Make a circle and add some shading like below (or use this one).

Make your cursor a tiny bit larger than the ellipse.  Position, and Alt/Opt click to grab the preset.

You should see the transparency around the ellipse in the Options Bar preview.

image.png

Then lay down some strokes.

image.png

The first half of the video is rather basic, but it got interesting from around the 23:00 minute point. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did that very effect in Deluxe Paint on the Amiga back in the 80s. 😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey, I had an Amiga 1000.  Delux Paint was years ahead of its time, plus it could use a genlock to overlay graphics onto video.  I'm pretty sure I had an actual hard drive for mine, but it would have had a tiny capacity.  (The Amiga only had 256KB RAM). 

I remember an article by Guy Kweney in PC World from that time, in which he was justifying the rediculously OTT 400MB drive he had fitted to his PC (it might even have been 40MB — it was a long time ago).  It was like, how on earth could you find enough data to even put a dent in that much storage?

I know that some of this forum's regulars started out with BBC Micros (I had a Model B with 16KB RAM with serial number 00050) Sinclair ZX Spectrums, and Commodore 64s.  I sold my Amiga 1000 to get a Windows PC so I could access the internet.  Wot larks we 'ad, young Pip. 🙂 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Very effective - thanks for sharing, Trevor!

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

SFTW208CableCar-mika.jpg

_______
Senior graphic designer | United Nations Population Fund

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So you went for realism with the weather 🙂

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 21, 2024 Feb 21, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

🙂 yes 

_______

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Someone had to do it.Oh no, there goes Tokyo!Oh no, there goes Tokyo!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Godzilla 👀

_______

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A few weeks ago we had Nessie, now you start a new monster tale 🙂

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Free-fall jump

Disturbing the peace!.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 20, 2024 Feb 20, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's the wing suit guys that scare the bejazus out of me.  They swoop down clefts and valleys skimming treetops and rocks, and you think, if they are too low, there's not a damn thing they can do about it.   This is Uli Emanuele.  It doesn't take a lot of working out  to guess that a person who takes risks like this, is going to find that one day the odds are going to catch up with them.  Thirteen months after he made this flight, Uli was killed doing another wing suit stunt.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 21, 2024 Feb 21, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Clever, I do like the extended scenery and heightend towers!

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 20, 2024 Feb 20, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

image.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines