• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Something for the Weekend - Part 214 - Go nuts!

Community Expert ,
May 10, 2024 May 10, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,
Thanks for all the great creations in our previous, salmon leaping, challenge.

This week, we start with an old workbench. What story can you tell us with this?

The “rules”:

• Use the starter image as at least part of your own image entry.
  • Anything goes, as long as it meets the forum rules on decency, copyright, etc.
  • Anyone, and everyone, is welcome to have a go, whether you are a complete beginner or a Photoshop expert. This is not just for our forum “regulars”.
  • There are no prizes apart from the chance to practice, show off your skills, or bring a bit of humour and fun. Don't be shy, join in and have a go!
  • The starter image is made available for you to use in this forum challenge only.

To download the image,  hover over the image and click on the circle with the arrows at the top right.

Then, when the image opens in its own window, right click and choose “Save Image As/Save Target As” (or similar depending on your browser).

SFTW214Bench.jpg

When posting back your image — please use the blue reply button in this first post and use the 'Insert Photos' icon at the top of the reply box. If posting a comment on someone else’s entry, then please use the grey reply button next to their image post.

Have fun!

Dave

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
replies 103 Replies 103
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I love the rust and dents in your render Dave! This will be fun!

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I modelled it in 2019 Jane, it has been lying around untouched on the disk since - hence a bit of rust 🙂

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 21, 2024 May 21, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dave, I adore the dents and corrosion in your render! It will be enjoyable to do this!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One usual suspect going nuts

Click to get closer, Click again to get closer still

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 12, 2024 May 12, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think it's a 'has bean'... 🙂

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can't beat the shopping channel 😉

SFTW214Bench.jpg

Best regards, Euan.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That sounds like an Irish furniture shifter 🙂

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Keep away from eyes and young children.  Perfectly safe for your nuts. 😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Click to get closer, Click again to get closer still

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bringing in all the old SFTW tools there Jacob 🙂

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Indeed, Dave, some are out of the box.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow, Dave.  This is my favourite starter image for a very long time, and another amazing render.  I especially like the 'Precision Square'  I bought one just like that from Bangood, and the inside and outsides were not even parallel, yet alone square. Note: It is possible to rotate the inside and outside squares to each other and still be relatively accurate, but it is not a good look, and does not inspire confidence.  In this case, I can say for sure that the 'Precission Square' was not accurate.

II think the engineering square is a Moore & Write, and I tested that against a Starrett and they showed to gap.  The gap below is not huge, but it certainly isn't 'precise'.  I used the planner because it has a ground cast surface.  I did clear the sawdust from under the squares btw.

image.png

I set up the panel saw at my Menz Shed a few weeks ago, using a framing square that belonged to the shed.  When I double checked with a DTI it was miles out.  I am talking a full degree!  I looked around and found several more squares, and they were all hopeless.  I have at least a dozen different squares at home, and I found that one of my big woodworking quares was not great.  Way better than the Shed's though.  My framing squares were pretty good, and my engineering squares all as near spot on as makes no difference.  

OK, now I need an idea for this 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 13, 2024 May 13, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Trevor, it is an issue if you get two 'precision' measuring tools and find they are different. Do you go for best of three? 🙂  I suppose you could check them by marking out a square and checking the diagonals, but you can't really adjust the one piece square.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 14, 2024 May 14, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Trevor, Dave, how about a bit of milling?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

image.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In my youth I took the gearbox out of a car to replace the clutch. On re-assembly, I had one bolt and one hole left. Sounds good but the bolt was too long for the hole. Back around them all looking for a short bolt in a deep hole! 🙂

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Health Nut.

K

SFTW 214_Bench_sm.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Kathryn: That's not a bolt and nut. This is a bolt and nut.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Brilliant!

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

SFTW214Bench.png

Someone mentioned nuts?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I love that one Monika 🙂

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 14, 2024 May 14, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, Dave!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 16, 2024 May 16, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great!

ABAMBO | Hard- and Software Engineer | Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I haven't been at a gym for a while, so...

SFTW214Bench_ValdairLeonardo.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines