• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Something for the weekend - Part 31 - Right up our alley!

Community Expert ,
Aug 03, 2018 Aug 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

I saw this alley on a "beer and curry" night last week. A thunderstorm had passed through an hour or so before, leaving things a liitle damp, and I thought it would make a good "something for the weekend" starter image. So I took out my phone and snapped it. Unfortunately, when I looked the next day, the combination of dim light, a hand-held phone and, possibly, a couple of beers meant that the image was not as sharp as it should have been. Whilst I could have returned at another time, with a proper camera and tripod, we have had very little rain since. So I set myself the challenge of recreating the scene in 3D, which took a little longer than I thought it would, but was a good exercise in modelling, texturing and lighting.

So I bring you the empty alley - what will you do to bring it to life?

As always, anything goes as long as it meets the forum rules on decency, copyright etc.

Anyone is welcome to have a go - whether you are a complete beginner or a Photoshop expert.

There are no prizes - just the chance to practice, show off, or bring a bit of humour and fun.

When posting back your edited images please use jpeg and downsize to 1200px on the long side.

To download the image below in jpeg format with ICC color profile (sRGB) and without the forum scaling artefacts , right click and then use Save Image As /Save Target As (or similar depending on your browser).

SFTW31Alley.jpg

Have fun

Dave

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You share so many fun images to work on..... I wish I had time to play around.  But I do enjoy seeing how people let their imagination loose on an image!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dave, this is truly one of your best!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Quick & dirty, in several senses of that term.Alley-oops.jpg

--OB

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dah-da-da-dum-dum

Da-da-dum-dum

Da-da-dum-dum

You've been hit by.....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 05, 2018 Aug 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

great work. My daughter and a co-worker would hate you for that. 

ABAMBO | Hard- and Software Engineer | Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 04, 2018 Aug 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

SFTW31Alley2.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow - some great entries so far!

OldBob - I think I'll avoid that alley with those giant spiders walking around!

Trevor - Smooth criminal ! I love all the details you've put into that, could that be Annie looking over the fence? The reflections are very good!

USS Norway - It reminds me of "The Hulk". Did someone make him angry?

Keep them coming , anyone who has stumbled across this thread - you are welcome to join in.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dave, I tried not to ruin your amazing creation more than absolutely necessary.

Week031.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It can never be ruined. The image is there to play with !

Alley cats, I like it. The tread mark up the middle is nice touch. It might have been from the wheel-barrow to get me home

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

SnakeCafe.jpg

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nice one Nancy. I'm not sure whether it is better to stay in the alley with the snakes or to run out and meet the giant rat and King Kong!

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, it IS an alley . . .

AlleyBowl.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hah hah!  That's funny.   This one is a bit obvious, but someone had to do it.

Banksy.gif

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Semaphoric - that rough paving would give me a great excuse to cover my lack of bowling skills.

Trevor - Nice idea and you have the perspective spot on on the graffiti.

Dave.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

davescm  wrote

Trevor - Nice idea and you have the perspective spot on on the graffiti.

Dave.

For those that don't know, make the layer a Smart Object before the first Free Transform, and you can align the bounding box to the perspective.  I can go back in now and use Free Transform again, and the bounding box is still working for me.   BTW Dave, I forgot to say that the alley scene is incredible as a 3D render.  I didn't even know that was possible outside of Weta Studios or Industrial Light & Magic.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Cheers Trevor.

It was fun to do  and, as always, I learnt a few things along the way - for example, how to put the rain on the table tops and window glass.
Lighting a 3D model has a great advantage over lighting a real scene in that you can put a fill lamp in a location where it lights up a part of the scene but the lamp itself is invisible to the 3D camera in the render.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dave, seeing your digital artwork got me wondering what Bert Monroy might do in one of these.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bert Monroy would put himself and all of his friends into the scene!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thinking

AlleyBat_004.gif

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is it Halloween already?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

cmgap - I'll not tell anyone about the deer or it won't be long before venison appears on the menu .  I just noticed - it looks like it got light outside !

KJerryK - I love the bat , but I think that barman may turn a few customers away.

Jane/Semaphoric - we'll have to ask Trevor what Bert would do. I am sure he TA'd for him at MAX.

Thanks to all who have joined and shared images so far - there is still plenty of time though. If you've read this thread, and enjoyed the images - join in and post one.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

WWBD?

Or rather, what did Bert do? He put himself in the taxi. You might recognize some of the others.

Times Square by Bert Monroy « Adobe Illustrator blog

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Fantastic - but four years!. We would have to rename the thread Something for the Leap Year !

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is it time for dinner yet

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines