Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Something for the weekend - Part 57 - Snow

Community Expert ,
Feb 01, 2019 Feb 01, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Many in the northern hemisphere will have seen some snow this year. So I thought we should have a snowy scene as a starter image this week.

I've made the empty scene in Blender (the distant mountains are real). What will you now add to the image so that it tells us a story?

As always, anything goes as long as it meets the forum rules on decency, copyright etc.

Anyone and everyone is welcome to have a go - whether you are a complete beginner or a Photoshop expert.

There are no prizes apart from the chance to practice, show off, or bring a bit of humour and fun. Don't be shy, join in and have a go!

When posting back your edited images please use jpeg and downsize to 1200px on the long side.

To download the image below in jpeg format with ICC color profile (sRGB) and without the forum scaling artefacts , right click and then use Save Image As /Save Target As (or similar depending on your browser).

SFTW57Snow.jpg

Have fun

Dave

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dave, this is spectacular — with an amazing amount of detail!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wonderful render Dave, how did you create the snow?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Jane & Ged.

The snow is a plane (actually 3 - one for teh foreground and one for each snow "hill" with a surface texture using a combination of:

a. Noise texture to control a mix of diffuse and transparent shaders

b. Subsurface scattering

c. A displacement map fed into the new displacement nodes (I used 2.8) to give the tyre tracks. I used this in conjuntion with adaptive subdivision so that fine detail is used where the camera can see it but without going over the top with vertices.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Blender 2.8 is soooooo different to 2.79, love the new interface but I'm lost trying to find all the things I do in 2.79, suppose it will take time, seems very stable for a beta.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Ged

2.8 Beta is not as stable as 2.79 yet. I had a few crashes with it as expected with a beta.

But I was using the 'experimental' adaptive subdivision. One thing that is good is the ability to render on both GPU and CPU and the avoidance of a render crash if the GPU memory is exceeded.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dave, the scene is better than real life.  It would be a shame to mess it up.  I have a couple of ideas (on top of the rotated canvas I emailed) so I guess messing it up is what we are going to do.  I feels kind of wrong though, as that is so perfect as it is.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Cheers Trevor - now go for it.  It is there to be used, or abused

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have trouble even messing it up.  The texture is so perfect, it's difficult to find a handle for messing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It’s like when a cake is so beautiful that no one is willing to cut into it!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'll mess it up first then :

SFTW57SnowPrints.jpg

There - now fill your boots !

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bigfoot?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Or Yeti ?

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Stomp! Stomp! Stomp!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The question is, what could walk through a fence like that?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 02, 2019 Feb 02, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nice start Trevor.

Am adding something simple to yours. I'll think of what else to add. Or if anyone else wants to...

BFandSM.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Becoming a busy pedestrian crossing.

BFandSM2.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I recognise that face - but I appear to have grown a winter coat

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's a go at messing it up

I do get the sense an accident is looming.

SFTW57SnowPl.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dean_Utian wrote

I do get the sense an accident is looming.

Woah!  Lucky it wasn't a good one!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 03, 2019 Feb 03, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Trevor.Dennis  wrote

Woah!  Lucky it wasn't a good one!

Looks pretty serious

Well done.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 03, 2019 Feb 03, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Nice job with the spring flowers Rista. I didn't realise groundhog day was real (I thought it was just a film) until I saw an article on the news the other night.

Graham - now we know what put those tyre tracks there.

That's a great job with the plough picture Dean. The perspective and ploughed snow fit well.

Trevor - you broke an Eizo. Dag will be along shortly to reprimand you

Keep them coming!

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Week057.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do love to see free hand painting Rista.  I'm not going to guess what the flowers are, because if Nancy happens by this thread, she'll roast me for my hopeless knowledge of flora.  Do snowdrops come in a purple flavour?  

When I was hunting for a Bigfoot picture, I couldn't help but think that people dressing up in a furry suit, to fake these pictures, were taking a big risk.  All it would take is one redneck with a rifle, and the fake Bigfoot would be dead meat.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Trevor.Dennis  wrote

Do snowdrops come in a purple flavour?  

I wouldn't be at all surprised. The local market sells green roses.

But these are spring crocus,  purple to blue.  Yellow ones are usually called fall crocus.  I'm sure your compatriots must have migrated them along with themselves.  They do grow through the snow, if available, which is not anywhere around me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines