• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Something for the weekend - Part 6 - Don't blow a fuse!

Community Expert ,
Feb 09, 2018 Feb 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Great responses to last weekend's challenge. I had an image lined up for this week but decided to keep that for a future week and try something different this weekend.

The two characters below were created in Adobe Fuse, saved to the library then rendered against a transparent background in Photoshop and saved as a PNG with transparency. So no need for complex masking (I must be getting soft ). If you have not used Fuse I'd recommend you give it a try - it's a lot of fun.

So the challenge this week is to take one, or both of the characters below, put them in a scene that tells us a bit of a story.

Anything goes as long as it meets the forum rules on decency, copyright etc (so keep it clean ).

Anyone is welcome to have a go - whether you are a complete beginner or a Photoshop expert.

There are no prizes - just the chance to practice, show off, or bring a bit of humour and fun.

When posting back your edited images please use jpeg and downsize to 1200px on the long side. 

To download the image below without the forum scaling artifacts, right click and Save Image As / Save Picture As (or similar depending on your browser).

SFTW6Characters.png

Enjoy !

Dave

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Feb 10, 2018 Feb 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It sounds like a pain Trevor.

It may be worth loading an older version of Photoshop whilst your hardware is restricted. Also reducing the time between auto saves.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

davescm  wrote

It sounds like a pain Trevor.

It may be worth loading an older version of Photoshop whilst your hardware is restricted. Also reducing the time between auto saves.

Dave

Hey.  That's not a bad idea.  This system worked fine with this GPU when it was built six years ago.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Trevor.Dennis  wrote

Grrrr...  I wasn't going to be flash, but I spent twenty minutes on something but couldn't crop it because of GPU woes.  So I reset the GPU, saved the document, and restarted, and there's no file to open.  

In the meantime, Trevor, it looks like there are lots of posts in this thread about what people think you will be doing, so we'll just read those until your GPU behaves and you can join in on the fun. Hope it's soon!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

'Hands of the Strangler'

fusePeople.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

At least she is creating well-lighted evidence for the police.  I thought all along he was a bit creepy-looking.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ha ha that's so awesome !!!  But they really kind of look like they are playing in the tunnel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah the infamous selfie strangler ...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm glad you got it Dave as I made a total pigs ear of the flash on the camera, but that is what I was trying to achieve, the nice maniac in the dark tunnel with the sexy damsel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forums.adobe.com/people/Terri+Stevens  wrote

'Hands of the Strangler'

fusePeople.jpg

Blimey Terri.  That looks a bit risky in these days of 'Hash Tag Me Too'.  Does Fuse have a Donald Trump head option? 

davescm​  I now have CC15.5 and CC14 and the former still crashes with Select & Mask.  I do have a few ideas though, so I might risk the frustration of losing it all and save out every 30 seconds.  Terri, I missed that endangered species comment until Jane quoted it.  I was thinking I'd have to try harder LOL.   I'm really hoping that you don't know I'll be in the UK in May.  Whoops.  That was a bit of a 'Don't tell him Pike!' moment, so fingers crossed that you missed it.

It still makes me laugh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, so I remade the male object in Fuse and sent it to Miximo, which is pretty damn cool.  It's all a bit slow though, but I did get something out to MS Mixed Reality, the problem being is that my system is getting hot, and the GPU (the old GTX570) has the fans running flat out, but it is all too clunky and slow, and that is making it difficult to work it out.  I expect davescm​ can figure it out.  What I have nbo clue about at this stage is how to export the animated Fuse model in a usable format — i.e. a video format or frame animation.

At the moment it is exporting to an .FBX file which opens in MS Mixed Reality.  Has anyone got the hang of this stuff?  It looks very cool, and could make Fuse actually useful. 

BTW Miximo has an Adobe logo, and is free to sign in with your Adobe ID.  Or it will see you are signed in to the forum, and sign you in autmatically.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 11, 2018 Feb 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Trevor, if you are just taking a Fuse model to Photoshop you can miss most of those steps. Just save straight from Fuse to the CC library. Then drag from the library into your Photoshop document where it will open as a 3D layer. The animation options are then in Photoshop's properties panel when you select the model in the 3D panel.

[Edit to add : When you select an animation option in the Properties panel it is added to the video timeline in Photoshop]

For this challenge though just use the png from the first post. It is already rendered with transparency.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Trevor

I was not on my PC when I sent my last reply on getting fuse characters across.

So the steps are :

1. In Fuse - Save to CC libraries

2. In Photoshop drag from library to your open document

3. Click on the model in the 3D panel. Go to properties and select the animation (in the example shown there are 123 pages of animations to choose from

4. That will open a video timeline that you can clip, adjust, render etc

GirlJumping.gif

Hope that helps you

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Dave.  I did see that option, but it didn't occur that it would drag to Library with animation.   You might have seen the links to Paul Trani where he briefly covered Fuse animation at MAX 2016  Check out right at the end (!:12) where it all goes horribly wrong. Anyway, I'd forgotten about that, and he does just what you said.  Bout his Fuse character into Photoshop via Libraries, and accessed its properties. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Trevor, would you believe you can't watch that Dad's Army Clip in England, we only bloody paid for it out of the BBC licence.

Dad

For anyone who wants to know what happens -a German submarine crew has landed in Walmington On Sea and taken Captain Mainwairing and his home guard platoon prisoner. The German U-boat commander asks Pike 'Vot is yor name' and  the very pompous Captain Mainwairing jumps in and says 'Don't tell him Pike' lol I bet the Americans would never get Dad's Army in a million years as it's such an English comedy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just love Jodi's enthusiasm. If the big bosses at Adobe have any sense at all they will make Jodi an ACP immediately.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Terri ya gotta stay enthused this time of year when it's so cold out and I'm buried in snow. I hate Winter. Got to distract myself anyway I can. The challenge is an enjoyable way to do that. I love seeing the ideas people come up with ! Fun stuff !  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forums.adobe.com/people/Terri+Stevens  wrote

If the big bosses at Adobe have any sense at all they will make Jodi an ACP immediately.

Both Jodi and Rista!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes Jane, thanks for correcting me as I left Rista out inadvertently. Most of us got to be ACPs by having points, but it stands for Adobe Community Professional and I think both Rista and Jodi are showing each week they have a wealth of professional skills and showing community spirit by posting.It would be nice if we could get them rewarded in some way. Maybe Pete might have a view on this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank You Jane and Terri !! But thats ok... really... I'm already an

Adobe

Creative

Person

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To jane-e and Terri,

You have certainly made my day!  Thank you for your very kind comments and suggestions.

But I only really know how to do this in CS5.  Subscribed to CC just a few weeks ago and I'm hanging around here, reading posts, to help me learn how to use it..

Besides, photoshopping is my favorite retirement hobby and I wouldn't want it to deteriorate into anything resembling work  It'll be fun to go on playing with and learning from all of you, though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Happy New Years!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Quul.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is crazy cool Dave !!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Attempt#2

.... It was Tuesday afternoon and Tom was having a tough day. His boss wasn't pleased with the amount of time it was taking him to finish the current project for Pepsi Cola. What his boss didn't know was that Tom felt uneasy about this project as they were forcing him to ' fix ' a graphic that was done by a fellow employee... who happened to be his best friend Ron. Ron didn't know his graphic had been rejected since Ron had been out of work for a few weeks due to a horrible car accident he was in. Tom went to the hospital every day to visit his best bud who was still in critical condition and forced to be put into a coma. Ron was the type of guy that took his work seriously and held high standards for his designs. He was also the type of guy who would flip out if he found out his project would be handed over to someone else because ' it wasn't good enough ' ... When Tom's boss first approached him about redoing this graphicTom wanted nothing to do with it and in so many words refused the project. Well his boss wasn't taking no for an answer and wanted Tom to do it as he knew he'd do a great job. Tom hadn't even started the project yet. The whole thing just made him feel really uneasy and uncomfortable. He was feeling totally lost. On his way home he decided he needed to ' get away from it all ' so he stopped at the State Forest park where he often went with his family while growing up. Being in nature always made him feel better. He decided he would just walk the trails and try to figure out what to do. As he walked he simply just absorbed the feeling of comfort that being in nature gave him. He stopped for a moment and stood there on the trail with his eyes closed.He breathed in and out and started feeling a bit more relaxed... He stood there with his eyes closed a long time... it just felt like the right thing to do. It calmed him. Then all of a sudden the silence within him broke as the sound and movement in the air had changed..he opened his eyes and was completely startled by an owl who had flown down and nearly hit him in the head.. He jumped back and saw the owl looking right at him. he flapped his wings quickly then flew off. It seemed like the incident lasted an eternity but really it all happened in a matter of seconds. And in that moment Tom knew what he had to do. He felt stronger and more in control of this haunting situation he was put in. He knew exactly what he was meant to do.

~Jodi

If you have an owl as a totem or spirit animal, you probably like to explore the unknown. The mysteries of life are a fascinating field of interest. As the owl guides your steps, you are likely to develop an appreciation for life’s magic.

When the owl shows up in your life, listen and look out for the subtle signs that are around you. Your animal spirit guide is a great helper to be attentive to what usually goes below your radar, but is now of particular importance.

The owl is also a guide to uncover your hidden potential and abilities. Check whether you need to reveal more of your intuitive nature.

Night time is particularly auspicious for your creativity, so take the time to focus your creative energy then.

~Elena Harris, SpiritAnimal.info Editor

week6challengeb.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lovely image Jodi, I like the conversion to tinted B&W and the blurred edges. Oh and thanks for another free read

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines