• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Something for the weekend - Part 62 - Cold water.

Community Expert ,
Mar 08, 2019 Mar 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Another weekend is coming up. They do seem to come around faster as I get older !

For this weekend I bring you a very cold ocean with enough ice to keep your drinks cool for the rest of the year. What will you make with it?

As always, anything goes as long as it meets the forum rules on decency, copyright etc.

Anyone and everyone is welcome to have a go - whether you are a complete beginner or a Photoshop expert.

There are no prizes apart from the chance to practice, show off, or bring a bit of humour and fun. Don't be shy, join in and have a go!

When posting back your edited images please use jpeg and downsize to 1200px on the long side. This is to stop the thread slowing down when lots of images are added.

To download the image below in jpeg format with ICC color profile (sRGB) and without the forum scaling artefacts , right click and then use Save Image As /Save Target As (or similar depending on your browser).

SFTW62IcySea.jpg

Have fun

Dave

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lovely artwork, Dave!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Than you Jane - for anyone interested, I made it in Blender 3D

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

davescm  wrote

Than you Jane - for anyone interested, I made it in Blender 3D

Dave

Just a quickie, but someone asked what the alternatives to Blender are on Quora a couple of days ago, and the first reply mentioned ZBrush, Modo and Maya.  I thought what the heck?!  Blender is free and the others are not, but I looked out of interest and the costs are ZBrush $800,  Modo $1800, and Maya and incredible $3500!   I believe that Disney and Pixar use Maya, so it is obviously a serious app, but still.  I guess, thinking about it, that's the sort of money we (as in Adobe's non American customers) used to pay for our Adobe apps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Trevor

I think you've just beaten the record for the fastest first entry to SFTW. I like it.

A Maya subscription is £1740 pa in the UK, Modo £400 pa    C4D studio is £2850 for a perpetual licence then £525 pa maintenance.  Makes the CC subscription look extremely good value

I use Blender3D (which is free) and have a subscription to Substance - which gives me Substance Painter, Source and Designer for approx £19 per month (varies with the £ to $ exchange rate). Substance is now owned by Adobe so I'm watching to see how that will impact going foward.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh I like this one Dave.  An excellent render.  Was it inspired by the news that the Greenland icecap  is melting, and that sea levels will rise by six metres?   As they used to say on Dad's Army

Image result for we are all doomed

Talking of rising sea levels:

I almost managed to get an early night, but one last refresh before  heading off, and it was icebergs at midnight.  I actually looked outside to see if they'd reached our house!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Trevor if the water gets that deep then I won't need to cut the grass this weekend

Jacob - If the North pole meets the South pole then we really are in trouble !

Great start.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What did you think would happen? JH Model release in a SFTW62IcySea.jpgfile.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Nice one Joan. She better get covered up before that iceberg arives or she'll catch her death of cold!

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My dear dave, she is the reason the iceberg is melting. She moved up north to cool down. :+0 JH

This is the week of Wonderful Powerful Women = did ye not know David? PS. I own the copyright on this one so none of your funny business with it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

joanh22203655  wrote

PS. I own the copyright on this one so none of your funny business with it.

Haha- you might have just set the new challenge

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think I can see what is going there Jacob.      That President Trump has got a lot to answer for.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Week062.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rista, has Ged been supplying you with  psychedelic substances?  He will need to work hard to outdo you in the bizarre stakes.

John I was think Starship Enterprise, but you threw me with your dog's orientation.   It suddenly came into focus when I realised the the ice-spaniel is facing right.

Leslie, I am so glad you have joined our weekly bit of fun, and I am sure you drew your floating lady.  You have done an ace job with the underwater aspects of the drawing — I especially like her right hand, but I also love the shading.    Call me insensitive, but I'm thinking that the Titanic would have fared no better if it had hit her instead of the iceberg. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The floe on the left looks like a Spaniel.

SPORTING_American-Water-Spaniel.jpg?itok=ZTRnVnno

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

fat-ladySFTW62IcySea.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, Trevor! It's fun

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

girl SFTW62IcySea.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had this idea and thought someone is so going to beat me to it!  It just feels too obvious not to be thought of. Not being a spirit  drinker, I have no idea what booze would come in a light blue.  Antifreeze, perhaps? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 09, 2019 Mar 09, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow - lot's of activity so far

Trevor - that's a nice job on the knotted magnet and the drink Bombay Sapphire Gin?

Rista - you've melted the ice bergs !!

Ponytail - That's two great entries. The cartoon lady made me smile.  The refraction of the water in your second image looks spot on and is often forgotten when compositing a water scene.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 10, 2019 Mar 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dave ta for the magnet comment.  Did anyone notice that the knotted section changed from rectangular to hexagonal?

We haven't had an animation  for a while, so I thought I'd get a little bit political.  Sorry about the file size.  It's only 800 pixels wide, but I couldn't reduce the colour depth because of the background gradient.

Trump-the-Destroyer-2.gif

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I’m not sure of this rules of this particular forum, but in my opinion, decorum would dictate that expressing political opinions would be off limits. Personally I am a President Trump fan, but it makes no difference  to me who you prefer. I feel that political opinions can rapidly deteriorate a non-political forum from it’s original purpose to nothing but a place of dissension.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello F1Vanc, I Do totally agree, I came into this exchange for a fun weekly imaginative challenge with fellow artists. We get enough of the trash talk from the rest of the world - I do not need or want it here. Dave, how about making expressions of this sort off limits for here - keep it lite and fun Please!

Regards, JH

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Jonah for your comment. I wasn’t expecting many people agreeing with me on a site such as this one. So, no surprises there. Certain groups tend to feel that they have a monopoly on opinions since they are so much more enlightened than others.  Now that political opinions and comments are acceptable here, I have many hilarious gifs and cartoons I can contribute. Oh well, it was nice before it became politically oriented.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines