• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Something for the weekend - Part 74 - Send them packing!

Community Expert ,
May 30, 2019 May 30, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

I'm posting this weekend's challenge a little early as I will be a bit busy on Friday.

There was a rhyme in the late Roger Hicks' 1986 "Medium Format Handbook", which he in turn attributed to Benson's advertising agency. It went:

"If your client screams and yells

Show a picture of what he sells.

If he still should prove refractory,

Print a picture of his factory.

Only in a desperate case,

Print a picture of his face."

So for this week we have a pack shot of "what he sells". But the client has left off the labels and logos so we don't really know what it is. That's where you come in.

Can you add the labels, logos and anything else needed to show us what he is selling?

Watch out for reflections

As always, anything goes as long as it meets the forum rules on decency, copyright etc.

Anyone and everyone is welcome to have a go - whether you are a complete beginner or a Photoshop expert.

There are no prizes apart from the chance to practice, show off, or bring a bit of humour and fun. Don't be shy, join in and have a go!

When posting back your edited images please use jpeg and downsize to 1200px on the long side.

To download the image below in jpeg format with ICC color profile (sRGB) and without the forum scaling artefacts , right click and then use Save Image As /Save Target As (or similar depending on your browser).

SFTW74Packshot.jpg

Have fun.

Dave

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
May 31, 2019 May 31, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I thought the entries would fly in for this one. 

[EDIT]  Whoops.  I spotted a mistake when making the second post.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Trevor.Dennis  wrote

It's early days.

Nice start Trevor thanks for getting the ball rolling.  One thing though - shouldn't the spray-can have a dark reflection now ?

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

davescm  wrote

Trevor.Dennis   wrote

It's early days.

Nice start Trevor thanks for getting the ball rolling.  One thing though - shouldn't the spray-can have a dark reflection now ?

Dave

I didn't even see the reflections Dave.  It was a bit rushed and I was thinking it was about time something was uploaded.  Hence I also missed the Skin Texture not being hidden behind the brush Softener bottle.  It's going to have to stand for now, but I'll fix it when I can grab a minute.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Right.  Reflections fixed.  The Patches tin was a bugger, so I gave up and resorted to just reflecting the text seeing as that was the only difference anyway.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 01, 2019 Jun 01, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nice one Trevor

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This will come under the heading 'The Bleeding Obvious' for most of you, but just in case, this is one of the ways I do this.

Make a rectilinear selection about the size and aspect ratio of your target, and fill with any colour

Build your fill on layers above, and make all those layers a Smart Object.

Open the SO in a new window (double click) and turn off the dummy background layer.  This locks in the size and aspect ratio of the target area.

Save the edited SO and FT it to match the target by Ctrl dragging the corner handles.

You can copy and FT for other faces.  The bounding box is always going to match the original rectangle.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Modified slightly. Maybe I should add some labels...

SFTW74Packshot_syd.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a little above my experience, so if you would look with a gentle eye

Week074.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In response to demand for these products on the forum.....

SFTW74PackshotPS.jpg

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dave,

The top/left pair of goods reminds me of an exquisite post in one of the long winding threads in The (Old (Photoshop)) Lounge (I only ever had short glimpses into a few of them with their often more than 6,000 posts).

Some 15 years ago or so I followed a link in an Illustrator thread referring to the Photoshop Unblur Filter, and found the post which showed a road fading into the far distance where there was a barely visible red dot to the left, and then, after the application of the Unblur Filter you could see the large octagonal STOP signal and a lorry that had reached the road junction, and most importantly a house on the opposite side with a jaguar crossing the rather flat roof seen over the lorry (you could see by the rosettes, and the sturdiness, that is was no leopard).

I bookmarked the link, but unfortunately never included it in my archive of threads, and suddenly it was gone with The Lounge; so that is how I remember it.

Has anyone else seen it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 05, 2019 Jun 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I love it

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Aaargh, reflections! Lets just pretend they are there but the devil is tricking your mind

12.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here, pack it in here. JHbox for packing.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

starter assets + a free sign

74-rendor.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 02, 2019 Jun 02, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Dean - Australian travel products ?

Rista - We're always friendly here - I do like your logo !

Jacob - we're back to the polar regions again with that one.

HothWampa - were would the fun be without reflections

Joan - I see you have provided a complete new setting for our products.

Graham - Is that a "replica" scene done in Dimension?

Talking of relections there are a couple of common errors we often see in images reflected in a ground surface. First, the reflection should be vertically under the real image i.e not skewed. The second is that the reflection is not just a flipped real image. It has a different viewpoint, which often gets missed. When doing the hard way i.e. transforming in Photoshop , then the warps need to be adjusted  Although doing it in Photoshop in this thread, my preferred way is just to put them on a 3D surface and let the rendering engine sort it out, which is what was done on the starter image

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Polar regions indeed, Dave.

It started with the memory of the comparable cool colour beverage in 62 (and having the cardbox that just needed some stretching (without wrecking it) to fit the bottle), and then it kind of snowballed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dave, I changed everything and got crazy with abstract - blame my allergy meds. Fun! JH

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 03, 2019 Jun 03, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you have to leave your puppy for the weekend.

labels.jpg

P.S. These were photographed on a non-reflective surface.

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Barb,

I have wondered whether anyone could become desperate enough to add one or two three letter products to the collection, maybe in a vegan (or other fake) version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forums.adobe.com/people/Jacob+Bugge  wrote

I have wondered whether anyone could become desperate enough to add one or two three letter products to the collection, maybe in a vegan (or other fake) version.

What does this mean, Jacob?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, Jane, if I have to (almost) spell it/them out, in British English one of them is identical to a ((very) Northern) British English word for tiny, the other is (also) the surname of a famous cuddly bear with the first name Winnie. The US/international word for the first one starts with the same letter as the second one.

I had expected Trevor or Graham or Dean or someone to have already said what I said a few days ago, only more directly.

Well (again), you know: it is a dirty job.

I believe Barb had guessed it straight away.

It just occurred to me that maybe more likely they would be referred to by numbers over there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 06, 2019 Jun 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Nice one Barb - although I'm not sure I'll be ordering a tin of puppy drool anytime soon

Derek - very good - it made me laugh!

I'll post the next challenge tomorrow

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 06, 2019 Jun 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

bottle1.gif

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines