Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Something for the weekend - Part 8 - The Angel

Community Expert ,
Feb 23, 2018 Feb 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

There were some excellent responses to last weekend's challenge. This time I've gone for something a bit different , but I hope it will get just as wide a range of creative responses.

This is the Angel of the North which is 20 years old this week. Designed by Antony Gormley, and completed in 1998, it was very controversial when first erected. Over the years has become something of an icon in the North East of England and, due to its location, has become one of the most viewed pieces of art in the world - seen by more than one person every second.  Built of steel, it stands 20 metres tall, has a wingspan of 54 metres, and weighs 200 tonnes!

So the challenge this week, on the angel's 20th birthday, is to use the statue in an image of your own. Feel free to alter it, warp it , give it new material, put it to a new use but do keep it (sort of) recognisable within your image.

Anything goes as long as it meets the forum rules on decency, copyright etc.

Anyone is welcome to have a go - whether you are a complete beginner or a Photoshop expert.

There are no prizes - just the chance to practice, show off, or bring a bit of humour and fun.

When posting back your edited images please use jpeg and downsize to 1200px on the long side. 

To download the image below without the forum scaling artifacts, right click and then use Save Image As / Save Picture As (or similar depending on your browser).

SFTW8Angel.jpg

Have fun.

Dave

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Mar 01, 2018 Mar 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Very nice Rista12. The subtle rainbow adds a nice touch.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, Dave.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh, so pretty!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 02, 2018 Mar 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Absolutely beautiful Rista. I bet an awful lot of hard work went into getting something that nice. Light rays, rainbows , expertly warped angels, very nice indeed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ayeeee....   someone says 'rising', and the next thing your heads full of ideas and you can't stop yourself.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's great, Trevor,

and

is it Friday already?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Brilliant Trevor !!! That is awesome !!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After the thaw..

angelthaw.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That’s phenomenal !!!! I love the colors !!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Haha - great to see the entries still coming in.

Trevor - you never disappoint.

Astrobutch0901 - Welcome to the thread,  I like the idea and your execution is very good indeed. When the snow melts round here it's probably close to the truth.

This weeks challenge (part 9 ) is now open for business

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Newb to the community but looks like fun..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Welcome Astrobutch. Great image

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

astrobutch0901  wrote

After the thaw..

angelthaw.jpg

Nice tidy lightning.  Was it done with Eye Candy 7 or Difference Clouds, or an inverted composite, or what?  Nice idea as well, and lots of nice touches like the bubbles and sun rays under the water.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Trevor,

I just used custom brushes, I have a few made up which seem to work for me, I love Custom Brushes, so versatile.

Regards

Butch

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

couldn't agree more Butch. Custom brushes allows you to do fantastic things and yet so few Photoshop people make use of them .

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The only problem is that you can end up with more brush sets than you know what to do with.  I try to be disciplined and keep my limit to about 100, and cherry pick presets from similar sets into one set per category, but I still have too many. 

Eye Candy does nice lightning, and is very controlable

It also does something it calls Electrify with is similar to lightning, but can create rings of electric arcs.  You can addapt it to make blood vessels which are perfect when illustrating eyes. 

Plus lots lots more, each one with countless variations.  It's a total must have for illustrators.  It only cost $90 when I bought it, but it is $129 now.

https://store.alienskin.com/products/eye-candy-7

Terri, I honestly didn't recognise that as being my face at first glance.  I don't mind because it would make initials TT (Trevor Tracy) which is kind of cool.  Getting back to Eye Candy 7, it also does great animal fur. This is Terri the scary leopard, and Terry the scary rabbit.   Hmmm...  I tried a whole bunch of options, and so long as they had a Terri in them, they were still scary.   

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Mar 03, 2018 Mar 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Didn't know Eye Candy was still going after all the years! I like plug ins and add-ons as a finishing tool generally, like NIK software, in fact its the only plug that have.

I like the challenge of creating my own content for the compositing process. Although I do use adobe stock!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Trevor.Dennis  wrote

The only problem is that you can end up with more brush sets than you know what to do with.  I try to be disciplined and keep my limit to about 100, and cherry pick presets from similar sets into one set per category, but I still have too many. 

Eye Candy does nice lightning, and is very controlable

It also does something it calls Electrify with is similar to lightning, but can create rings of electric arcs.  You can addapt it to make blood vessels which are perfect when illustrating eyes. 

Plus lots lots more, each one with countless variations.  It's a total must have for illustrators.  It only cost $90 when I bought it, but it is $129 now.

https://store.alienskin.com/products/eye-candy-7

Terri, I honestly didn't recognise that as being my face at first glance.  I don't mind because it would make initials TT (Trevor Tracy) which is kind of cool.  Getting back to Eye Candy 7, it also does great animal fur. This is Terri the scary leopard, and Terry the scary rabbit.   Hmmm...  I tried a whole bunch of options, and so long as they had a Terri in them, they were still scary.   

I've heard of bad hair days but that's ridiculous Trevor. I'm not surprised you didn't recognise your own face , that's what a lifetime  guzzling gin and smoking skunks does for you I know where I went wrong though, I made you too good looking. Now if you got a hair transplant like Scott Tracey Mrs Dennis would love it. You Aboriginals are a funny lot Trevor , in England we smoke kippers and jolly tasty they are , but skunk a bit weird?

skunk.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Scott-2015.jpg

Revenge for me and Dave from last week Trevor

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How did you do the smoke? Looks like it could have been a color graded cloud of some sort or possibly a brush?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forums.adobe.com/people/Terri+Stevens  wrote

How did you do the smoke? Looks like it could have been a color graded cloud of some sort or possibly a brush?

Soft edged composite.

Add the composite as usual, and Ctrl click to load as a selection, and add layer mask.

Use mask properties to reduce the mask size so it bites into the smoke, and feather to suite

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's truly gorgeous Rista !! I love it !!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Awwwwwwww cute little skunk. ❤️

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines