Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Sorry ignorant newbie - saving a warp on smart layer

Community Beginner ,
Jan 31, 2020 Jan 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

I need a layer that has a warp on it, so I can save it and then any smart object that I place on that layer should warp to what I have saved. Basically I have a bag that is at an angle, angled slightly away from to the right.

I have a smart vector which I have warped in to a resonable shape that looks as though the vector is on the bag. Great! But now I need to do this with another 50 different vectors so I would like a layer that I can double click on, that opens another layer, which I can then paste in a vector and save and it will appear on the orginal bag image.

A bit like a displacement layer that people use to make t-shirt mockups with. Only this only has an angle change. Or maybe persective is a better word

Any ideas? Cheers in advance with any help on this

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you double-click the Smart Object you can put any other image inside that and on saving it the SO instance in teh containing document will update with the new content in that warp. 

THat sounds pretty much like what you aks, so what is your problem exactly? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Yes that what I thought but when I double click on the layer it opens a .psb with the samrt vector in it. But then how can I paste a new one in as the first one is still there?

I want a layer with the warp set in it, so I can drop any smart vector on it and it will apply that warp to it. The issue is that when I double click on that layer it opens with the original vector in it

Cheers

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 01, 2020 Feb 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

»The issue is that when I double click on that layer it opens with the original vector in it«

You can simply hide the original content after placing the new one. 

And if you need both as separate SOs you can use »New Smart Object via Copy«- 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 03, 2020 Feb 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I suspect there are a few Script-related threads that might be useful for you, for example  

https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop/batch-replace-smart-objets-of-same-dimension-and-resolution...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Every Smart Object Later has an associated layer transform. Layer are warped and distorted via a layer transform. Smart object layers transform are not actually applied to the layers object.   They are applied to the layer pixels rendered for the smart object layer.  If you update or add a smart filter to the smart object layer.  The Smart Object Layers associated transform will be applied to the pixels rendered for the layer.  Smart object layer's transform setting are recorded and associated  with the smart object layer so it can be reapplied should new pixels be rendered for the layer.   To do what you want to. You have to create a Smart Object Layer and change its layer transform to include the warping you want.     To use this warp you do not place images you either use smart object Replace Content or you edit the smart Object.  To use replace content the replacement Object needs to be exactly the same Size, Aspect Ratio and Print resolution as the originals smart object because the layers associated transform is not edited or replaced by replace content.  If you go with Edit Object you can not change the object size for the same reason.  The smart object layers associated transform is not changed  when you edit the object temp work file. The object size need to remain as is. You can fit image into the object editing the object.   Most Mockup Templates are updated via Replace Content or Edit Object. 

Place is used in Photo Collage templates where image are placed in sized, positioned and shaped.   Automatic  rotation and distortion  via smart object layer would not be supported for place create the smart object layer and sets the layers associated transform settings.  There are no existing settings.  Paste is also use to populate Photo collage template a pasted layer has no transform.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, I have a Smart object layer with the warp applied to that layer.

"To use this warp you do not place images you either use smart object Replace Content or you edit the smart Object"

How do I do this? I have the vector smart objects in another open .psd file. I can copy them, or duplicate them and copy them to another file such as the file I am working on

But Smart object replace content??

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As I wrote  "Replace Content" or open the smart object layers object and edit.  Duplicating a smart object layer from an open document add an additional layer to your document. It does not replace an existing smart object layer object.   If you have a vector smart object in an open layered document you have placed in vector file into the document an Illustrator file like a .svg or .ai a file type that Photoshop does not have support for. Photoshop can not edit vector files it can only import a raster layer for the contents of the vector file. 

The document you have with the smart object layer that you have added a warp to. What is the contents of its object?  That is what you need to replace or edit.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well I need a layer that when I double click on it, it opens a .psb file and then I can drop a vector on to it, the warp is already set for the layer so any smart vector I drop on to it, i can save and it will be at the angle of the warp I orginally made

I have 5000 vectors that I need to warp to an angle so they look like they are pribted on the bag

I have several that I have brought to do the same on t-shirts, I think that they might be displacment maps or similar

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If the smart object in the mockup document is a PSB object when you double click on the Smart Object Layer content thumbnail in the layer palette. A work PSB document containing the object will open in Photoshop for you to edit the object.  If you drop a Vector file into the work document I would think that Photoshop would use Place to add a vector smart object to the work document it will the certain the originals smart object layers and an additional smart object layer somewhere in the work document layer stack.  That layer can be scaled, positioned  and distorted for use in the object composite. The positioning scaling and distortion settings will be recorded in the smart Objects layer associated transform.   When you commit the changes to the work document.  Photoshop will update the original smart object layer object and render new pixels for the smart object layer content.  Those pixels will then be transformed by the smart object layer associated layer transform which has not been changed or edited. When You edit the work PSB you can not change its Aspect Ratio, Size and resolution. For the Updated  object will be transform with a transform for the originals  objects aspect ratio, size and resolution. The updated needs to have the same canvas size as the original object. X pixels wide Y Pixel high.   Normally mockups are updated be Replacing the Content of a smart object layer.  Using  Replace Content or Editing the Object.   When my mockup script Edit Smart object its normally because I do not have replacement object that have the exact Size, Aspect Rate and resolution as the  objects in a  template which is required when you use replace content.  So I edit the Object and clear all content then fit in the replacements I do have.  If they do not have the correct Aspect ratio the Updated mockup may not have the best composition.  I have never create a mockup template where updating it would involve adding vector  object into the content of the  template existing smart objects content.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 05, 2020 Feb 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Smart Object layers operate much like a raster Pixel layer. It does not matter if the smart object layer smart object contains  many layers including vector layers and warped smart object layers and some are warped smart object layers.  Because of the way smart object layer work.  Photoshop renders Pixels for the smart object composite and users these as the layers content.  These pixels can not be changes by Photoshop tools or filters.  Smart filters can bet attached to a smart object layer and every smart object layers has ans associated layer transform recorded in layer that can scale rotate and distort the layer composed pixels by applying the filters and layer transform to the hardened Pixels rendered for the layers content. In the order smart filters were attached to the layer. Make a change and all can be reapplied in order starting from the hardened pixels render for the layers content. 

Mockup are populated by replacing smart object layers content  or editing smart object layers content. Texture are usually added via a texture layer overlay blended into smart object layers and Smart displacement filters attached to a smart object layer.  The displacement map and texture overlay are for a fabric texture  and fabric contours and wrinkles not for fabric designs, logos  and labels. there in the object. Changing object within object complicate things IMO something you should aviode doing. Make and additional Smart object layer for the object you wakt to replace instead.

It is quite easy to design Mockups templates that can be batch populated with a Photoshop script.  A mockup template can be very complex but organized for easy population.   Mockups template can also be quite simple.

Capture.jpg

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines