Processor Name: 6-Core Intel Xeon E5

Processor Speed: 3.5 GHz

Number of Processors: 1

Total Number of Cores: 6

L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB

L3 Cache: 12 MB

Memory: 32 GB

MacOS: Mojave Version 10.14

Just installed Photoshop and noticed that whenever I'm using the brush tool with a mask it lags and I get a 1-2 sec spinning wheel while painting/drawing...especially for continuous painting. Just to be sure this was the only time this was occurring I make a blank document and painted over the background. No lag, no spinning wheel. Duplicated the layer and created a mask. Spinning wheels when I used the brush tool.

Has anyone else noticed this?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Beginner ,
Oct 23, 2018 Oct 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you NJShoots,

that works great me, thank you so much for sharing it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wel I'll be... hiding ruler works indeed!

Thank you, I nearly never use rulers in PS anyway, so this is really helpful.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks! I just tried this workaround and I would say that it helped to alleviate the problem but not cure it. The spinning wheel still appears, just not as frequently. I will say that I do use rulers when I am setting guidelines so I default to having my rulers visible during retouching.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 28, 2018 Oct 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Removing the rulers also works for me.  PS CC running Mojave 10.14.1 Beta

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 28, 2018 Oct 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Removing the rulers and file size doesn't make any difference to me: painting white in a 3mb file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 02, 2018 Nov 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I experience the same thing with clone brush and masking even when using mouse on a very small document. Removing rulers does not help unfortunately. I've opted to uninstall the CC 2019 till Adobe (hopefully) fixes the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great NJShoots !

Works fine for me too !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have this too. I just found this article:
https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/photoshop-and-macosmojave.html

Known issues - Running Photoshop CC on macOS 10.14 Mojave

My question now is, I updated my system to Mojave before updating Photoshop to 2019. Do I need to revert my system and update Photoshop first or will just bringing Photoshop up to date fix the problem - does anyone know?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 24, 2018 Oct 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had PS 2019 installed prior to Mojave installation and have the same issue...so no it should not matter.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok so I installed Photoshop 2019 AFTER the Mojave update and the spinning wheel issue is still happening 100% :0(

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The ONLY solution I've found so far IF you have Photoshop CC 2019 and Mojave installed is to reinstall Photoshop CC 2018. I DID NOT have the problem with the brushes in 2018, that started with 2019. As for the artifacts with Liquify, you still going to have that in 2018. I can live with cleaning those up with healing brush better than dealing with spinning wheel (busy) with EACH brush stroke. Turning off the ruler in 2019 DOES help, but it does not totally getting rid of the issue with the brushes.

NOTE: I have both 2019 and 2018 installed. I'm leaving 2019 install for when the fixes from both Adobe and Apple are released.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 19, 2018 Nov 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Holding down option while selecting the liquify filter stops the artifcacts in my case - might work for you. I have the spinning icon problem since upgrading to Mojave. I have it in CC2018 . Hiding the rulers doesn't help in my case or the advice given in the Mojave thread above or for that matter setting performance to basic.  I tried using CC2019 for a while but that is so problematic for other reasons I've regressed to 18 for the moment.  (not using 'shift' to constrain transforms and marquee selects for example).

Mac Pro 2013  64gb Ram etc

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Usually the slow down happens when you are on a high res document and you are using a very big brush.

Please check your doc settings. Sometimes it's obvious but it can happen to create an over huge document without noticing it.

True story,

Cheers

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 29, 2018 Oct 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So are there any news?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 06, 2018 Nov 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same very slow brush. I cleared up an issue of the "color" blend mode not working by checking the " Legacy Compositing"  that fixed the incorrect color issue with the color blend mode, but i just cant use this 2019 version because of the very very slow lag.  I am using windows 7 professional 64 bit and i am using wacom tablet.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Nov 08, 2018 Nov 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just chiming in--happening to me as well.  It's driving me up the wall.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 15, 2018 Nov 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Praise the lawd lol. What works for me is: Mojave 10.14.1 and PS CC 20.0.1

NONE of the optimizing tips/tricks worked. I had PS CC 19... as well as PS CC 20.0.1 installed and was opening PC CC 19... by default. I deleted that version and have only 20.0.1 installed and all is glorious.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 20, 2018 Nov 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So are they gonna fix this problem? It's been over a month now. This is slowing down my work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 25, 2018 Nov 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I too have this issue.  Just switched from a PC to finally a mac and experiencing this for the first time ever in my many many years of using Photoshop.  Super frustrated about it.  I took a sample with the Activity Monitor if that helps:  https://drive.google.com/open?id=1tMuU9Wt4P3O3jRclEngfGLAKjynfjVmq

Model Name: iMac

Model Identifier: iMac18,3

Processor Name: Intel Core i7

Processor Speed: 4.2 GHz

Number of Processors: 1

Total Number of Cores: 4

L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB

L3 Cache: 8 MB

Memory: 40 GB

Boot ROM Version: 166.0.0.0.0

SMC Version (system): 2.41f1

Serial Number (system): D25XD07UJ1GQ

Hardware UUID: AEAF397F-3B45-57C2-A88A-5BB6676C55C0

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 05, 2018 Dec 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem here. Mojave 10.14.1 Latest Photoshop CC Here is my activity monitor Dropbox - Sample of Photoshop CC.txt https://www.dropbox.com/s/adzbtsvgjyjhpz2/Sample%20of%20Photoshop%20CC.txt?dl=0

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 19, 2018 Dec 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Exact same issues here - Mojave 10.14.2 and PS CC 20.0.1 - the terminal fix didn't help.

Rulers on/off: sometimes that helps, other times it doesn't, really strange.

Using PS daily, this "brush bug" is extremely limiting/annoying. Trying retouching with the healing brush with the spinning dots are - let's say it nicely - a "challenge".

iMac Pro, 64gb DDR4, ProVega 64

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 15, 2019 Jan 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, great news all (he says apprehensively). I've updated Photoshop with the latest CC download, tested it on a 200mb PSD image, painting like crazy with rulers on and there's no spinning wheel ......

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 15, 2019 Jan 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yes seems to fixed the issue...but I will give it a day or so before I will jump up and down:)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 25, 2019 Nov 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I don't know if you've found a solution to the spinning cursor or not, but this worked for me. (And evidently it's an issue with Mojave, not Photoshop.) Open your Mac's system preferences...Security & Privacy...and under "Allow the apps below to control your computer" check Adobe Photoshop (You may need to first enter your administrator password). After closing out from preferences you need to then quit Photoshop. The next time you open it the cursor should be "normal."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines