Split Flap Display

New Here ,
Aug 03, 2022 Aug 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Adobe Community 

I hope you are all very well.

My name is Jason and I am a photo artist living in London, England

Can anyone offer any advice on the best Adobe product (or non Adobe) that will enable me to build a digital version of a Split Flap display?

A Split Flap display, also known as a Solari Board, is a mechanical display device for text often found in train stations and airports etc. Think of rotating and cascading letters that indicate a destination and time. 

Screenshot 2022-08-03 at 11.58.26.pngScreenshot 2022-08-03 at 11.49.21.png

I'd like to try and emulate and utilise the lovely visual effects of a Split Flap board but rather than make a mechanical object, I’d like to use a computer monitor or large screen.

I am a documentary photographer and over the last few years I have made 2224 portraits of people that live in and visit the London Borough of Camden.

Traditional ways of showing this work include printed books and magazines and photo prints in art galleries, which are all great but I’d like to try a ‘new’ take on disseminating documentary work and feel that 2224 portraits in a digital Split Flap could be very interesting.

Is there an Adobe app or program on which I can build my idea? 

My project is called jason wilde’s Free Portrait Studio [ Link removed by Moderator ]

You would make me a very happy artist if you could offer a solution to my issue.

Thank you.

Jason

TOPICS
Cross-app workflows , macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There's a ton of presets and template projects for "departure boards" in After Effects and I'm sure you could find similar stock content for whatever is your 3D program of choice. There may also be an action for Photoshop that converts a text layer into such a flap thing look. So it's definitely possible, but you shouldn't expect a canned solution for your specific use case. A lot of this is just cheating because nobody wants to put up with hundreds and thousands of such animated flaps just to display a pixture, so to stick with my AE example (since that's my primary domain of Adobe programs) you'd use effects like Card Dance and Motion Tile to create the repeating flap structure and then find ways to use your photos as textures and then transition through them. At 2224 we're likely talking about just as many compositions in an AE project, though, which is an insanely big project. So again, it is doable, but you should not expect this to be in any way simple or intuitive. Even an experienced artist (that you would have to hire and pay) can easily work his fingers off on this kind of project and it is probably completely unfeasible to do for yourself if you have no such prior experience...

Mylenium

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you Mylenium. Thats very kind of you to reply. I'll look into AE. I did consider the size and thoght that I would probably have to split the project into smaller manageable chunks. My very best, Jason

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines