Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

sRGB

Explorer ,
Dec 02, 2016 Dec 02, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

As I prefer to work in this space - it is what my camera is set to, it is what my film-scanner produces, it is what the house where I do any printing requests for color space.

Yet, it seems that whenever I go to save a version of something I have worked on - I must uncheck the box ( for it is always checked ),  for Adobe 1998.

I don't know how or where to configure this.  My working space is already set to sRGB - can I not configure things so that when I save something it just leaves it alone and does not try to force the Adobe 1998 option upon me ?

Thank you,

Sterne

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Dec 02, 2016 Dec 02, 2016

save-as-ps.png

If the save dialog looks like this, and you uncheck the ICC profile box, it means that you are saving a file which is in Adobe RGB, but the profile will not be embedded. This is far from ideal, this box should always be checked.

So the reason it says Adobe RGB is that file is in Adobe RGB.

If you want Adobe RGB files to be automatically converted to sRGB when you open them, go to Edit > Color settings.

Under Color management policies > RGB, choose Convert to working RGB.

Now all files should open in

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

save-as-ps.png

If the save dialog looks like this, and you uncheck the ICC profile box, it means that you are saving a file which is in Adobe RGB, but the profile will not be embedded. This is far from ideal, this box should always be checked.

So the reason it says Adobe RGB is that file is in Adobe RGB.

If you want Adobe RGB files to be automatically converted to sRGB when you open them, go to Edit > Color settings.

Under Color management policies > RGB, choose Convert to working RGB.

Now all files should open in sRGB, and you should see sRGB instead of Adobe RGB in the Save dialog.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If these files are coming from ACR, you need to set color space in the workflow options there (that's the "link" below the main image window in ACR).

Photoshop will preserve incoming profiles and they will override the working space.

And of course, just so it's clear, the camera setting for color space only applies to camera-processed jpegs. A raw file has no color space until it's encoded into one in ACR/Lightroom, so that camera setting is moot and irrelevant.

You shouldn't just "uncheck" Adobe RGB, which will leave the file untagged, without any profile. But it is still Adobe RGB. You should convert to sRGB, and keep the profile embedded.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you. Understood.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also remember Camera RAW files do not have a color space they are not RGB images. 

RAW files need to be converted into RGB images.  RAW converters like Lightroom may by default convert  your raw images into 16Bit ProPhotoRGB.  I do not use LR but when I tried the beta I believe that was how LR worked by default. So if you start shooting be careful when you convert you RAW files.  It is better to shoot RAW for you can change thing like white balance, if your camera was set poorly.   WB is a post possessing process that your caners would have applied when creating your Jpeg 8bit color images. Also your camera  is capability of better than 8bit color you can take advantage of that if you shoot RAW.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you. Understood.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines