• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Stop text from disappearing when changing font or length of text

Explorer ,
Mar 14, 2019 Mar 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think this has to do with Paragraph Text vs Point Text, but can't figure out how to prevent a string of text from disappearing when changing to particular fonts, or appending the text and making it longer.

How can I fix this, and keep the text showing no matter the font type, or length/size of text?

Thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried using Point Text (Type > Convert to Point Text)?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, sorry I should have clarified that. I have tried both Point and Paragraph text.

When Point Text, text disappears entirely when changing fonts.

When Paragraph Text, text is chopped off at some length when changing fonts. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could you please post screenshots of the point text (including the pertinent Panels, like Options, Layers, …) before and after changing the font?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I may misunderstand your question, if so sorry.

Each font has a different size. When you change font you will ALWAYS change the size needed for the text, so it may get bigger or smaller, or be cut off or flow to a new line, according to the app you are using and the settings.

Are you hoping that Photoshop will change the font and adjust the size so it is the same width on screen? That's just not what happens.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forums.adobe.com/people/Test+Screen+Name  wrote

Each font has a different size.

A font is one size, one weight, and one style of a typeface. People try to use typeface and font interchangeably these days, as they do with ppi and dpi, but in both cases these terms have separate and distinct meanings.

A font would be stored in one printer’s case, so 12pt Helvetica Bold and 14pt Helvetica Bold would not be stored in the same case and are different fonts. The typeface is Helvetica.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't suppose this text is on a path, or part of a Smart Object?  Either can cause the issue you describe.  I must admit  that text  on  a path can cause me problems when trying to change size or move its position on the path.  Problems to the extent that I give  up and start again!   I always assume that it is my user error, which is  in contrast to some of the posts that SCREAM you damn blimmin buggers have broken Photoshop again and I don't know why I pay for it and I am going to scream some more and switch to The Gimp......  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Text is not on a path, or part of a Smart Object.

Jane-e, you are correct and I am more referring to the actual typeface here. When I change typeface, the text disappears.

Test Screen Name, I'm not trying to maintain a certain width across all typefaces, rather just prevent the text from disappearing or cutting off. Is this possible without manually resizing?

I will try and add some pictures to better clarify my issue and intent later tonight. Thanks for the help everyone!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Retsied  wrote

When I change typeface, the text disappears.

Hi Retsied,

One thing that might be happening is that if you are using Area Type and if the text cannot fit in the frame for various reasons, it will disappear. To test, try resizing the frame bigger to see if the text reappears.

Is there a + in the lower right hand corner?

Does the text show up in the Layers panel after you Commit?

A before and after screenshot would be helpful.

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 16, 2019 Mar 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Below is a video of the issue. I try changing the fontstyle with text both as a Paragraph Text and Point Text.

I'm trying to get it so that regardless of fontsyle and length of text, it will always remain visible (if it runs outside the document window this is fine, as I will later resize).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you reset the Typetool yet?

Restoring Preferences after making sure all customized presets like Actions, Patterns, Brushes etc. have been saved might also be a good approach:

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/basic-trouble-shooting-steps.html

Could you provide the file itself?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Retsid,

You are changing from Calibri to Cooper Black with a type size of 124.65 pts.

Note in at 28sec you have a + indicating overset text.

Your cursor then moves off screen and returns and you scale the text. How? Free Transform? Scale? This is where you are making your mistake. When your cursor returns to the screen, this is what your bounding box looks like.

When you keep the Type tool and use it at this step instead, it will look like this and the frame can be resized. The plus [+] in the corner shows overset text.

Resizing with the Type tool makes the frame large enough to display the text.

Using Scale or Free Transform looks like this and will do what you describe. Note the lines are solid.

Hope this helps,

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jane, I really appreciate the help. At 36sec, I am using the Free Transform tool. Is there any way to get the frame to auto rescale when changing typeface so I don't have to manually drag the ( + ) in the lower right corner? I also need all the text all in one row like the original.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 17, 2019 Mar 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Retsied  wrote

Is there any way to get the frame to auto rescale when changing typeface

Hi Retsied,

Not in Photoshop. Both Illustrator and InDesign have an auto-size feature that can be enabled, but Photoshop is — at it’s core — an image editor with some text functions. Photoshop is awesome with images, but not nearly as good as its sister programs with working with type.

The Cooper Black that you switched to is a larger heavier typeface than Calibri which is why it does not fit in the current frame.

Transform will scale what is there, but it will not increase the size of the text frame. That has to be done with the Type tool. That’s what you were seeing.

If you want it it on one “row” another option is to click and type to get point text. When you click and type the text will stay one line unless you press Return. When you drag and type you get area type, which is meant for paragraphs that will do word wrap when edited.

Any handle can be dragged to resize area type, btw. I would use the middle one on the right in this situation.

The best way to change the size of text is with the options bar or the Character panel though. Try selecting the text and use the options bar. Drag left or right across the icon with the Tt (scrubbing) until you get the size you want. Using Transform on text is not a best practice.

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 17, 2019 Mar 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jane, thanks for being patient with me here. If auto-rescaling the texbox is not possible in Photoshop, are there any workarounds for this?

For example, maybe by initially typing the text with the largest, heaviest known typeface, then when I later go to change the typeface, it will all fit?

What's the largest, heaviest typeface anyone knows?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 18, 2019 Mar 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Retsied,

A couple of questions:

• Do you want to work with Point type or Area type?
  • How long is each line?
  • Confirming: you want one line and don’t want it to wrap to a second?
  • And confirming: you want to use Photoshop and not InDesign or Illustrator?

And yes, if you started with Cooper Black and then switched to Calibri, the text would not be too big for the frame and would have fit.

In your screen shot, you have Cooper Black 124.65 pt, scaled by transforming. Can you do a test for me?

Click and type to get point text and type something in Cooper Black 124 or 125. Don’t change the size. Is it the same size as the text you transformed?

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 20, 2019 Mar 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jane,

Currently using Point type, although I don't really have a preference to either. Just whatever works.

Length of the text line (require 1 row) will vary as I have several different documents.

Correct, prefer to only use Photoshop here. No Illustrator.

When I perform your test, the text typed at size 124/125 is indeed the same size.

For now, beginning with the larger/wider typeface will work.

Thanks for all the help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 21, 2019 Mar 21, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Retsied  wrote

Thanks for all the help!

You’re welcome, Retsied!

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines