• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Strange hash markings on layer mask

New Here ,
Sep 29, 2021 Sep 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Working in photoshop today, I created a hue/saturation adjustment layer with a layer mask.  After filling the entire layer mask with black, I started painting with white on the layer mask where I wanted to apply the adjustment - but I am getting a strange hash mark pattern where I am painting white and the hash markings are acting like marching ants.  What is this?  My brush is set to white (RGB 255, 255, 255), normal, 100% flow - my layer blend mode is normal - see attached screen shot.  Thanks in advance for your input.

PS version 22.5.1

Mac OS 11.4

Basic steps

create a hue/saturation layer

add a layer mask

fill layer mask with black

paint with white on layer mask

expected result

I expected the layer mask to be pure white where i painted with the white brush and for the adjustment layer effect to only show where i painted with white

actual result

layer mask has strange marching ant hash mark pattern where i painted with white and I can't tell if the adjustment layer is being properly applied to my image.

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi. The face area in the mask of the adjustment layer Hue/Saturation 1 looks weird. Check that mask.

Marlon Ceballos.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Exactly, that's the issue - why does it look weird?  It's just and adjustment layer with a mask - it should be black and white like any other layer mask.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, weird was not the best word to use, bad choice, my English is pretty basic.

If you created the mask with the brush tool, try resetting the brush and recreate the mask. To reset the brush: Right click the tool icon in the Options bar and choose Reset Tool.

Marlon Ceballos.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you Marlon - resetting the brush tool fixed the issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines