Welcome Dialog

Welcome to the Community!

We have a brand new look! Take a tour with us and explore the latest updates on Adobe Support Community.

Stuck in Camera Raw Filter

Community Beginner ,
Nov 24, 2019 Nov 24, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop v20.0.07 & v 21.0.1

macOS 10.14.6

I'm editing using the Camera Raw filter on a smart object, and after switching to another application and then coming back to Photoshop, I can no longer use Photoshop and must force quit without saving. It looks like a problem with misplaced focus, whereas normally the Camera Raw filter dialog would be in focus/in front and usable, instead the progress bar dialog for the Camera Raw filter is in front. Clicking the cancel button on this progress bar dialog does nothing (makes the OS error sound), most actions in the Camera Raw dialog dont work as everything is greyed out and this window does not have focus — I can only click and drag to zoom, or click and drag the histogram. I cannot click anything in the Photoshop application window either. This priginally happened  in v21 so I switched to v20 but now it has happened there too.

TOPICS
Mac, Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Participant , Dec 06, 2019 Dec 06, 2019
Go to Photoshop->Preferences->General and turn off "Export Clipboard" Still think this is a bug, but this will keep it from ruining your day.

Translate

Translate
New Here ,
Jun 14, 2021 Jun 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What box did you uncheck?

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jun 15, 2021 Jun 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I guess this one: Photoshop > Preferences > Camera Raw > Performance and selected Off from the "Use Graphics Processor" drop-down.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 15, 2021 Jun 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I feel like I've tried this before. BUT, I've done all the things that tend to reliably reproduce the freeze up on the Camera Raw filter and it's worked every time so far.

@PECourtejoie, has this continued to work for you since you did it? 

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jun 16, 2021 Jun 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do not suffer from this issue... I'm trying to help.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 16, 2021 Jun 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

False alarm. Still doesn't work. Just had it happen with this setting set to off.Screen Shot 2021-06-16 at 11.15.23 AM.png

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 01, 2021 Sep 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also encountered the same issue multiple times recently and it drove me crazy. Spent hours and hours working on document, and it ended with a 'force quit'. And when I did force quit..... It came back again..... Luckily, I have found myself a solution. This might be impractical, but it is based on my experience, worth trying.

I think someone also had mentioned this way on this page, but I am going to mention it again. Please do note that I am using the 2021 Photoshop on a 2017 MacBook Pro, and the result of this method may or may not vary in between cases. But nonetheless, here's my way:

Photoshop -> Preferences -> Camera Raw -> Performance -> Purge Cache

This may work in the effort to solve the problem, but what I have learned from my experience, it is best if you do the method above every time before you start doing anything to a document in which you are planning to later add the camera raw filter. 

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Sep 02, 2021 Sep 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This will help perhaps, i kinda forgot where preferences is in the menus 🙂 I never use that, tend to use as much shortcuts as possible.

Menu hierarchy OSXMenu hierarchy OSX

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 28, 2021 Jul 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I cannot believe this issue is still unresolved after 1.5 years. This is only one of several community threads reporting the same issue, none of which are resolved. And beyond just Camera Raw, I am now getting stuck in the Liquify and Filter Gallery dialogs when working with large smart objects. It is such a stupid and infuriating glitch, and it is making Photoshop unusable for professional, high-resolution work. I am losing countless hours to this bug, and am unable to make the same quality of work I was making before the issue arose. I have also wasted colossal blocks of time and energy working with a cast of completely unhelpful Adobe technicians. FIX THIS.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 13, 2020 Dec 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

im stuck in the camera raw filter and cannot x out or save . I have to close down my laptop and loose my work to get out,

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What have you done for trouble-shooting so far? 

Restoring Preferences after making sure all customized presets like Actions, Patterns, Brushes etc. have been saved might be a good starting point:

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/basic-trouble-shooting-steps.html

What are your Photoshop, ACR and OS versions? 

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have looked into preferances in the edit drop down box for camera raw and purged ..Im not really sure what I can do.  I can open camera raw from Bridge and that page has clear boxes for saving and editing. 

its just when i got to camera raw from photoshop that the problem occurs. 

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try resetting your ACR preferences, in Photoshop go to Edit > Preferences and Ctrl + Shift click on Camera Raw you should see this dialog

2020-12-13 14_05_36-Window.png

2020-12-13 14_01_11-Window.png

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 28, 2021 Jul 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been experiencing this issue for over a year, as have a number of others on this Community thread:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-ecosystem/stuck-in-camera-raw-filter/td-p/10760665

I can assure you that there is no solution and that Adobe has no interest in fixing it. I have spent countless hours on screenshare with several adobe techs, none of whom were able to mitigate the problem in any way. The only workaround is to work with smaller images, which is obviously a nonstarter for large-dimension, professional work.

Unbelievable.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 13, 2021 Oct 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been experiencing the same since updating to the 2021 version, tried all the ideas in this thread and nothing worked. Eventually I just switched back to PS 2020 which dind't give me this problem. Hopefully in 2022 versions it will be fixed, but for now, I'm skipping this one.

Maybe it works for you too. 

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 14, 2021 Oct 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I really cant believe this has been a constant issue for so many of us and that there is no solution after so long

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 23, 2021 Oct 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

same problem here tooo 

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines