• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

SVG Manipulation in Photoshop

Community Beginner ,
Dec 07, 2023 Dec 07, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Greetings Adobe Community.  I'm getting started in laser engraving using Lightburn and an X-Tool D1 Pro.  I have some SVG files that are made up of several components to make one large object and each of those pieces need to be individually hand painted and then all glued together in a jig.  My idea is to bring that file into Photoshop, colorize the areas to the appropriate colors, then sublimate the entire thing onto a singular cut out rather than all the individual components.  My question is how do I bring the SVG file into Photoshop with all of its seperate pieces still outlined, etc. so that I can colorze it while still maintaining the original size, etc.?

TOPICS
Actions and scripting , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Dec 09, 2023 Dec 09, 2023

I think you should edit svg in Illustrator, not Photoshop. 

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Dec 09, 2023 Dec 09, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think you should edit svg in Illustrator, not Photoshop. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop will rasterize your vector files. That is probably not what you want. 

For a pixel graphic the relevant unit is the pixel. If you need to convert that into inches (or cm) you need to define a pixel density. So whatever parameter for pixel density your engraver uses, you need to put that in. If your SVG uses the same density, it should be OK to place the SVG in Photosop. 

I agree with @c.pfaffenbichler, you should use a vector program to do whatever you intend to do.

ABAMBO | Hard- and Software Engineer | Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Absolutely agree with the above, but I'd put it even more strongly: don't think of doing this in Photoshop. This is an Illustrator job.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the replies.  I do have the Adobe Suite, so I will attempt to import the portion of the SVG I want to colorize into Illustrator as suggested, then figure out how to manipulate the file (maintain outlines and overall proportions while colorzing areas as appropriate).  Hopefully it is as easy as using the paintbucket to fill the areas in (zero experience with Illustrator and some background in Photoshop but that was light years ago, hence my initial inquiry about using PS).  Does AI allow you to import colors, as a lot of the time I will be looking to match sport team colors and found a website that lists the Pantone, Hex, RGB, and CMYK values?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can add color swatches in Illustrator. 

There used to be free support in Illustrator for Pantone colors, but that's no longer available:

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 10, 2023 Dec 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the information and the links.  I just watched a Youtube video on swatches and will give it a go.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And as long as I can use one of the four sets of color identifiers to import in the color it should be fine.  Thanks again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Pantone support for Photoshop and Illustrator are at the same level (basically no support anymore, without a Pantone subscription), however, Illustrator handles spot colours more straightforward. 

ABAMBO | Hard- and Software Engineer | Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 12, 2023 Dec 12, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Remember that Illustrator is about shapes and objects, while Photoshop is about pixels (which, to be fair, are tiny square shapes, but you can work with millions of them at a time.)

Fill and stroke are simply properties of an object.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still finding this whole process extremely difficult as I am not an AI user typically.  It seems like there should be a simple solution to allow me to paintbucket in colors into areas of the image with defined borders.  Yes, the file is an SVG, but I don't need paths for cutting, etc, just a copy of the image at face value whereby I can pick a color, drag the paintbucket to the appropriate area, and fill in that area with the selected color, rinse and repeat until the picture is colorized for sublimation printing.  I've tried selecting all and using pathfinder to make an outline which I assume makes said outline an object but I keep getting a duplicate of paths.  I've tried melding/welding all the paths so it is one continous, but no useable results.  Maybe I should simply screentshot the image and use paint for my needs, adjusting the printout until it roughly matches the size I need it to be to sublimate onto the prepared blank shape.  KISS I guess.  🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As long as it's understood that the original vector data will be rasterized - and the possible implications downstream - then yes, you can use Photoshop.

But I would advise to resave them as PNG or some other raster format for delivery, to avoid any misunderstandings about what they contain. An SVG is expected everywhere to contain vector data, and to be treated and used as such.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can't have the best of both worlds it seems---the crisp vector outline with easy to select and colorize distinct sections of the whole.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not sure if you already looked into this, but there is a way to “paint bucket” fill in Illustrator. If you select the Live Paint Bucket tool, Illustrator looks at overlapping shapes, even a single open path that crosses over itself, and if you click it with the Live Paint Bucket tool it becomes a Live Paint Group. At that point, you can click any visually enclosed area in that Live Paint Group, and whatever swatch is loaded into the Live Paint Bucket tool fills that enclosed area.

Because clicking the Live Paint Bucket tool automatically creates a Live Paint Group, there’s no need to manually reconstruct shapes using Pathfinder or any other method.

This is the online help page for it, but if you prefer learning with video there should be videos about it on YouTube, LinkedIn, etc.

Live Paint Groups

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It seems like there should be a simple solution to allow me to paintbucket in colors into areas of the image with defined borders. 

By @Daniel33983415ij6a

If the paths are not grouped or in a live trace group, do this:

• Selection tool > click on a path
  • Swatches panel > click on a swatch to apply it to the selected path
    In PS, you have Background and Foreground swatches
    In AI, you have Fill and Stroke swatches. This set of icons looks like PS, but is not!
    Confirm you have the fill or stroke selected before you choose a swatch.
  • You can also use the Color panel

Skip the Live Paint Bucket tool. It creates a Live Paint Group.

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines