Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Switch Documents Using Panel

Contributor ,
May 03, 2020 May 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Right now as to switch documents, we must click on little tabs at top of document. And if too many documents then we must click on little arrows to show drop-down list of remaining documents that will not show in tabs (not enough room)

just an observation but does anyone else also think this is outdated and cumbersome way to switch documents

is there some kind of panel (like history panel or tool presets panel for example) that can show *list* all documents, and we just click on that list to select our document?

thanks!

TOPICS
Actions and scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another option is to use keyboard shortcuts:

• Cmd + ~ (tilde)  (Mac) or  Ctrl + ~  (Win)
  • Control + Tab  (Mac or Win)
  • Add Shift to change direction

All of the documents will also be listed at the bottom of the Window menu.

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Click the chevrons.  See screenshot.

image.png

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i said that in the original post: "click on little arrows"

i wonder if you read it? thanks you so much however for reply, but i already know to use keyboard shortcuts and to click on arrows, but i specifically asked for a list panel or something of sort. please re-read first post again 🙂

and to jjmack, thanks you as well! I am going to look in scripting forum right now. and hopefully i can find this script?

thanks again to you all!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is an open document list in Photoshop scripting. Script can work on all the open documents, open additional document and create new document all will be added to the open document list. The Document array. Accessing panels or using Photoshop shortcuts is not required.Photoshop has many interfaces.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks you to you, jjmack! I am looking for the script right now. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 04, 2020 May 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Its not a script its a interface a script can use,  just like interactively users can use different interfaces to switch between documents target a document. Target a Documents via Tabs,  Target via Floating window,  Target  via Shortcuts, Target via menu Windows>Document Lists Name. Target via a script or action. Target via menu File>menu Item.  Target via a duplicate command.  

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think the current list at the bottom of the Windows menu is fine. No need for yet another panel.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"just an observation but does anyone else also think this is outdated and cumbersome way to switch documents"

Hi

A couple of last thoughts from me:

• There is no longer a scripting forum, so I tagged your post for scripting, which may draw the scripters in (I am not one)
  • It occurs to me that in Microsoft Access, when you right click in near the tab names, you get a complete list of all of the tabs, not just the hidden ones, then you click to select the one you want. Is that how you want the feature to work?
  • This is a user forum, and there is a separate forum for bugs and feature requests. To make a feature request, go to 
    https://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family

If a script does not work for you, then make a feature request and post the link back here so others with the same issue will see it and vote on it.

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A Google search kicked this up:

Doco

http://creativedo.co

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yes, something like Doco would be excellent!! it has thumbnails which makes it even much better. I could only wish that Adobe installs something like that to the next version 😉

but even list format, (like history panel for example) which shows all documents would be perfect. 

I know to switch documents we must go to 'Window' menu and then go to bottom of that window to choose document. but if we have maybe 10 documents open at once , and we clicked the wrong one, then that menu closes, so now me must go back up to 'Window' and do it all over again. If maybe we are searching for document that we have open or we shuffle back and forth between documents for any reason, maybe we have to do this 5 or 6 times - and now that becomes headache. And I do not know why for myself but it seems like going up to 'Window' and then going through list of doucments is very old way to do it. Have a "documents panel" and voila! we can click once on the document to switch to it. 

there must be reason that Doco exists, it must mean others are also wishing for something similar. 

i am hoping perhaps Adboe could implement this. Maybe the panel could be re-sized to any size and not restricted (much like Brush panel can be small size only so much)

by way, I found script! But it only gives messagebox of all documents open. No way to interact with it to switch documents. But still maybe can be useful!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 05, 2020 May 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you want something like Doco create it. Please do not ask Adobe to add yet an other way to switch documents. There is more bloat in Photoshop then there needs to be. Adobe can not seem to release a version these days without a lot of bugs. They do nor need additional interfaces to switch documents to maintain.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One can record document selection using actions, such as:

Select next document

Select previous document

One can then set an F-Key shortcut to each, allowing you to cycle forward or backward via the keyboard.

Scripts offer more flexible keyboard shortcuts. 

A script can run an action, or for a self-contained script:

nextDoc();
function nextDoc() {
    var idslct = charIDToTypeID("slct");
    var desc53 = new ActionDescriptor();
    var idnull = charIDToTypeID("null");
    var ref18 = new ActionReference();
    var idDcmn = charIDToTypeID("Dcmn");
    ref18.putOffset(idDcmn, 1); // next
    desc53.putReference(idnull, ref18);
    var idDocI = charIDToTypeID("DocI");
    desc53.putInteger(idDocI, 471);
    executeAction(idslct, desc53, DialogModes.NO);
}

prevDoc();
function prevDoc() {
    var idslct = charIDToTypeID("slct");
    var desc53 = new ActionDescriptor();
    var idnull = charIDToTypeID("null");
    var ref18 = new ActionReference();
    var idDcmn = charIDToTypeID("Dcmn");
    ref18.putOffset(idDcmn, -1); // previous
    desc53.putReference(idnull, ref18);
    var idDocI = charIDToTypeID("DocI");
    desc53.putInteger(idDocI, 471);
    executeAction(idslct, desc53, DialogModes.NO);
}

I have been trying to adapt the following script to use these functions without any success:

https://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/topics/clear-horizontal-or-vertical-guides

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You have to add at beginning of your script:

refresh()

Then if let's say you have assigned some function key (like F1 on Windows) to trigger the script for next document, to use it for previous document you have to hold Shift (if used like on Photoshop Family) for one second (so duration of refresh) in no time after pressing F1 key.

I have no idea why for guys from that thread it works without refreshing, what's different for us it doesn't.

I guess running script from browser (without F1) with held shift does it, or F1 is used for script in action.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
May 06, 2020 May 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

there are problems with both approaches:

for keyboard shortcuts to switch documents:

-problem is all this does is cycle forwards or backwards through documents. So if you have maybe 15 documents open, and you are on document #1 and you want to see document #9, then you need to press keyboard shortcut 8 times just to get to document you want. What ends up happening is you just keep pressing key until you eventually reach document you want. Now to get back to where you were, you press opposite keyboard shortcut and keep pressing until you get back. This is to cycle, but does not allow for direct selection of document you need. This is problem when a user may be flipping back and forth between many documents for maybe reference purposes, etc. If I want to keep swapping back and forth between the first doucment and the 7th, how do I do so immediately without having to press keys so many times and just wait until I get there?

Well, that is where other suggested method comes in. We click tabs at the top of documents. But what if when document is way off to side, so now we must click little arrows and then see little add-on list of remaining documents? again not very intuitive. Because when we select document from list, it disappears. Now when we want to swap back to previous doc, we must again click on little arrow and then find it in the add-on list. 

And if not this way, then click on 'Window" and select doc from there. Which seems I guess like fastest way to toggle between two documents. Because keyboard shortcut won't allow you to swap back and forth between 2 docs amongst many, and tabs can be cumbersome. 

With photoshop as far as it has come i am surprise there has not been a documents panel for fast and immediate easy access to swap between your documents. much like any other softwares out there now or days.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 06, 2020 May 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sadly, without a more complex script or panel, there is only so much that can be done using standard features.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 07, 2020 May 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

How a script switches document is up to the script coder and it easy to assign a shortcut to a script via an action F Key or editing Photoshop keyboard shortcuts and adding a shortcut for the script.   In fact I have a script  that always switches to a document  I collect and append clipboard contents to.  For often I use screen several captures in forum to try to help. The Script will even create the document  if it is not open in Photoshop.   I press the shortcut key once per use no matter how many open documents there are in Photoshop. It work's every time if it there are no open documents in Photoshop there will be one if there is contents in one's clipboard.   The script can not add clipboard content if there the clipboard is empty.

/* ==========================================================
// 2013  John J. McAssey (JJMack) 
// ======================================================= */
// This script is supplied as is. It is provided as freeware. 
// The author accepts no liability for any problems arising from its use.

// I set a shortcut key in my case F5 to this Photoshop script mainly for doing Window screen capturing of:
// desktop displays, Active window and selected area copy to clipboard. The script log the cardboard into a document with the name clipboard. 

/*
<javascriptresource>
<about>$$$/JavaScripts/AppendClipboard/About=JJMack's Append Clipboard into Clipboard document.^r^rCopyright 2014 Mouseprints.^r^rJJMack's Script.^r
NOTE:New Clipboard Document will be open if necessary</about>
<category>JJMack's Script</category>
</javascriptresource>
*/

// enable double-clicking from Mac Finder or Windows Explorer
#target photoshop // this command only works in Photoshop CS2 and higher

// bring application forward for double-click events
app.bringToFront();

if (!documents.length) {
	NewCliboardDoc (); 
	app.activeDocument.suspendHistory('appendClipboard','main(true)'); // New document opened proceed
	}
else { 	//locate Document clipboard
	for (var i=0;i<app.documents.length;i++) { 
		app.activeDocument=app.documents[i];
		if (app.activeDocument.name == "Clipboard"){break;}
		}
	if (app.activeDocument.name != "Clipboard"){
		NewCliboardDoc ();
		app.activeDocument.suspendHistory('appendClipboard','main(true)'); // New document opened proceed
		}
	else {app.activeDocument.suspendHistory('appendClipboard','main(false)'); }	// Old Clipboard Document found
	}

///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
//                            main function                                  //
function main(newFile) {
	// declare local variables
	var orig_ruler_units = app.preferences.rulerUnits;
	app.preferences.rulerUnits = Units.PIXELS;			// Set the ruler units to PIXELS

try { 
		activeDocument.paste(); 					    // past in clipboard may fail enclose in try
		var LB = app.activeDocument.activeLayer.bounds;	// Get the bounds of the work layer
		var LWidth = (LB[2].value) - (LB[0].value);		// Area width
		var LHeight = (LB[3].value) - (LB[1].value);	// Area height
		// BOTTOMCENTER BOTTOMLEFT BOTTOMRIGHT MIDDLECENTER MIDDLELEFT MIDDLERIGHT TOPCENTER TOPLEFT TOPRIGHT
		if(newFile) {
			app.activeDocument.resizeCanvas(LWidth, LHeight, AnchorPosition.TOPLEFT);
			app.activeDocument.layers[1].remove();
			}
		else {
			if (LWidth>=app.activeDocument.width) {	app.activeDocument.resizeCanvas(LWidth, app.activeDocument.height + LHeight, AnchorPosition.TOPLEFT);}
			else {app.activeDocument.resizeCanvas(app.activeDocument.width, app.activeDocument.height + LHeight, AnchorPosition.TOPLEFT);}
			}
		app.activeDocument.selection.selectAll();		// select all
		// Left('AdLf'); Right('AdRg'); Top('AdTp'); Bottom('AdBt'); Center Horizontal('AdCH'); Center Vertical('AdCV');
		align("AdLf");align("AdBt");					//Align to selection Left bottom
		app.activeDocument.selection.deselect();
		SetViewFitonScreen();
		//app.purge(PurgeTarget.CLIPBOARDCACHE);
		}
	catch(e) { 
		if(newFile) app.activeDocument.close(SaveOptions.DONOTSAVECHANGES);
		alert("Clipboard Empty"); 
		}		

app.preferences.rulerUnits = orig_ruler_units;			// Reset units to original settings
	}
//                           main function end                               //
function NewCliboardDoc () {
	// app.documents.add([width][, height][, resolution][, name][, mode][, initialFill][, pixelAspectRatio][, bitsPerChannel][, colorProfileName])
	var Clipboard = app.documents.add( null, null, 100, "Clipboard", NewDocumentMode.RGB, null, null, null, "sRGB IEC61966-2.1");
	}

function align(method) {
	var desc = new ActionDescriptor();
			var ref = new ActionReference();
			ref.putEnumerated( charIDToTypeID( "Lyr " ), charIDToTypeID( "Ordn" ), charIDToTypeID( "Trgt" ) );
		desc.putReference( charIDToTypeID( "null" ), ref );
		desc.putEnumerated( charIDToTypeID( "Usng" ), charIDToTypeID( "ADSt" ), charIDToTypeID( method ) );
	executeAction( charIDToTypeID( "Algn" ), desc, DialogModes.NO );
	};

function SetViewFitonScreen() {
    var desc1 = new ActionDescriptor();
    var ref1 = new ActionReference();
    ref1.putEnumerated(charIDToTypeID('Mn  '), charIDToTypeID('MnIt'), charIDToTypeID('FtOn'));
    desc1.putReference(charIDToTypeID('null'), ref1);
    executeAction(charIDToTypeID('slct'), desc1, DialogModes.NO);
};

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines