• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Temp files with plenty of memory available

Engaged ,
Dec 20, 2022 Dec 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just got an error that my scratch disk is full. As I checked, there were three Photoshop temp files in there, although I have plenty of RAM available (about 40GB). Even after starting Photoshop with no file open, a temp file is immediately created. What's that about?

Here's a screenshot of the three temp files ...

AndreasResch_0-1671537855406.png

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 5 Correct answers

Community Expert , Dec 20, 2022 Dec 20, 2022

'.....just so that Photoshop can fill them up with unnecessary temp files.'

You misunderstand. Scratch files are not 'unnecessary' but are fundamental to the way Photoshop works. Photoshop uses scratch files as working memory and constantly swaps the data in RAM with that scratch file. Scratch files are used even with large RAM.

Depending on what size the files you are working on, how many files are open, what their content is in terms of layers/smart objects etc, and what exact operations y

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Dec 20, 2022 Dec 20, 2022

As Dave says. RAM is just a cache to the scratch disk's main memory.

Raster image editing moves huge amounts of data around, much more than any RAM you may have installed. There is no such thing as "enough RAM". The scratch disk always carries the main load, and then data are shifted to RAM as needed. This is a dynamic process and data goes back and forth continuously..

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Dec 21, 2022 Dec 21, 2022

'SSD's should kick in once RAM gets low, not from the get go, when plenty of RAM is available. '

No - that would be inefficient and cause stuttering. What you want is such swapping to happen seamlessly in the background so that the fastest memory always has the right content in it at the right time.

I see no stuttering here on any of three systems :

a. A system with 256GB RAM, RTX3090 GPU and scratch on NVMe drives

b. A system with 64GB RAM, RTX2070ti and scratch on SSD

c. A laptop with 32GB

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Dec 22, 2022 Dec 22, 2022

Again, these are perfectly standard scratch files, required for Photoshop to work efficiently. If you didn't have them, you would have a whole lot more performance problems.

If you have performance issues, this is not the reason!

It should be said that a disproportionately high share of users with Ryzen systems have reported diffuse performance issues. This seems to be specific to Ryzen. Engineers have previously said that they really want to get to the bottom of this, but they need reproduc

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Dec 22, 2022 Dec 22, 2022

Again RAM is not scratch disk. Stop comparing the CPU - the "scratch disk is full" error indicate disk space not RAM or CPU.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
LEGEND ,
Dec 21, 2022 Dec 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also don't have the same issues as the OP.

By @kevin stohlmeyer

There are quite a few to go over, so I suspect there's far more at issue here than just Temp files and how they work:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/user/viewprofilepage/user-id/10825645

As for "stuttering", I don't have any such issues either. Having access to a "stuttering" document to test would be the next step. 

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Dec 21, 2022 Dec 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They are removed, when I close Photoshop. I never said that they are staying. But they are getting more throughout the use of Photoshop. There seems to be a block limit of 16GB for them.

And I can see them, because I have enabled windows to show hidden files and system files. You might not see them on a restricted setup of Windows.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 22, 2022 Dec 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Again, these are perfectly standard scratch files, required for Photoshop to work efficiently. If you didn't have them, you would have a whole lot more performance problems.

If you have performance issues, this is not the reason!

It should be said that a disproportionately high share of users with Ryzen systems have reported diffuse performance issues. This seems to be specific to Ryzen. Engineers have previously said that they really want to get to the bottom of this, but they need reproducible cases. So I think this should be reposted to the Bugs section - include as much system information as possible, crash reports if applicable, steps to reproduce with precise descriptions if possible.

You haven't said what GPU, but if it's an integrated AMD GPU that could be the problem. So much Photoshop operations are performed in the GPU nowadays, and so many advanced functions are called, that driver issues could give very diffuse problems.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The GPU is an RTX 3060 with 12GB. So that's not the reason either. Maybe it's the Ryzen CPU. Let's wait and see if the developers can get on top of that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Again RAM is not scratch disk. Stop comparing the CPU - the "scratch disk is full" error indicate disk space not RAM or CPU.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 20, 2022 Dec 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://www.howtogeek.com/302544/how-to-manually-clear-out-photoshops-massive-temp-files/

5E269A3D-0781-41F1-8D8E-840FD0732987.jpeg

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 19, 2024 Mar 19, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Atanas5CCF you're replying to a 2+ year old thread...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 19, 2024 Mar 19, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@Atanas5CCF 

Neither is "proritized", and you misunderstand the way this works. It's just a matter of capacity. If you're working with big files, there is no such thing as "enough memory". Total memory requirement will always exceed that, often by orders of magnitude.

The scratch disk is Photoshop's main memory. Everything goes there, all the time. RAM acts like a fast access cache, the content gets shifted and moved as needed. Switch to another document, for instance, or go back a while in history, and RAM contents immediately needs to change. 50 history states, each potentially adding the full file size, for several open documents - it has to go somewhere, and you need to have immediate access when needed.

This was critical in the old days when we had slow spinning drives. Today, with ultra-fast generation 4.0 NVMe drives, the speed difference is not really significant. I'm sure you still get measurable differences, but in practical use, it's insignificant. You're simply not able to press the buttons that fast - the machine is waiting for you a lot more than you are waiting for the machine. In short - the bottleneck is largely gone.

And there's one more crucial thing about the scratch disk that you're not seeing. It's what enables Photoshop to work with virtually unlimited file sizes without choking the whole system. Photoshop can handle anything you throw at it, and as long as you have enough scratch disk space, it won't miss a beat.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines