• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Testing Versions

Dec 15, 2010 Dec 15, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All

We develop x-platform software for a desktop publishing type situation that allows (and recommends) exporting or rendering the designed files out through photoshop scripting.

Our problem is keeping up to date with all the photoshop versions for all the platforms.  There are quite a few when you add them up. CS -> CS5, Win XP - 7, OSX 10.2 - 7, 32 & 64bit, etc...

Is there a way to get free development versions?

Cheers

Danny

TOPICS
Actions and scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Dec 19, 2010 Dec 19, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

bump 😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 20, 2010 Dec 20, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there a way to get free development versions?

I doubt that there is.

Do you know of other software companies that do such a thing?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, we have a few examples just in the work we've done internally, that's why I asked 😉

In fact, the Adobe Sales rep I got from an 0800 number suggested it was possible and I should post here to talk to other devs to see how they did it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Sorry, but there are no free dev versions.

One solution is to install trail versions on a test box. Do your testing in the 30-day window then reformat that machine. This only works (obviously) for versions that you can find installation programs for.

The other solution is to ask for volunteers to beta test for the versions you don't have access to. What I have done in the past is for clients who need multi-version support is send them a rev based on  the current version of PS and let them do the testing. There are usually are not any problems and the ones that do crop up are ones that I've dealt with before (UnitValue, for instance, has changed a bit since CS). I  have installation packages going back to PS7 (I think) so in a worst case scenario I can always reinstall a copy for a few days to get a problem worked out. My big problem is testing all of the different OS versions. File permission rules change going to Vista and Win7 which complicated installation of some of my scripts. And Adobe moves Startup Scripts folders from time to time.

Most of what I write will work as far back as CS unless I'm using new ScriptUI features, E4X (aka XML) support, BridgeTalk, XMPScript, or new PS DOM interfaces. Except for the ScriptUI bits, I can usually find work-arounds to get something working. Support back as far as PS7, on the other hand, can be difficult or impossible primarily because there is no ScriptUI or Bridge/FileBrowser support.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines