• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Text so small I cannot see it

New Here ,
Mar 12, 2023 Mar 12, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Using the latest version of the softwaasre, using a mac all updated. when I am compressing my photos for instagram and want to add text, each time I click the text box the type is so small I cannot see anything at all. I increase to 72 but it is about the size of maybe a 16. ANy idea what is causing this to happen and what I need to do to fix? 

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please post a screenshot that illustrates your issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you create your document, think of its physical size whether that is in inches or centimetres.

Make the DPI 300 if you are printing, or 90(ish) if for a screen

This is 30cm x 10cm at 96dpi

image.png

In Preferences > Units & Rulers set Type to Millimetres.  The options are Points or Millimetres. i.e. there is not an Imperial option.

image.png

Now when you lay down your Type layers, you will no what to expect.

The document is 100mm high, so setting Type to 50 means it will be half the height of the document window.

Note: I have set the Rulers to Millimetres for the sake of clarity.

image.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Point size is resolution-dependent (ppi).

A point is a physical size unit from the days of lead typesetting, 1/72 inch.

Since Photoshop works with pixels, not sizes, the ppi number is used to translate from pixels to size and vice versa - and you get different text sizes according to the ppi number.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 13, 2023 Mar 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dag, I think I rember having this conversation with @jane-e, and her saying that she thinks in points.  I suspect Norman would have been the same.  My background is mechanical engineering, so I think in linear terms, and being old, that means both metric and imperial, and I am not always sure why I use onee system over the other?  In your line of work, I expect you defualt to cubits in your head? 😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dag, I think I rember having this conversation with @jane-e, and her saying that she thinks in points.  I suspect Norman would have been the same. 

By @Trevor.Dennis

Trevor, Norman and I were both trained by Gutenberg. He measured the metal blocks for type in points and we never wavered!

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm a pragmatist, Trevor, I go with whatever works... 😉 And if it doesn't, tweak it till it does.

In the vector world points make perfect sense and in InDesign and Illustrator points are right at home. With some experience there, I imagine you can get to the...er, point that you can think in points. Just like we think in pixels.

I'm not really there yet, so I have to think, calculate and rethink. But knowing the origin of points as a physical unit makes it at least possible to get a sensible result without too much head scratching... 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the vector world points make perfect sense and in InDesign and Illustrator points are right at home. With some experience there, I imagine you can get to the...er, point that you can think in points. Just like we think in pixels.

By @D Fosse

I should add that I only add small amounts of text in Photoshop (if any), so I can just eyeball the size. For anything more I bring the image(s) into Illustrator or InDesign, both of which have much better text formatting controls.

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A point is a physical size unit from the days of lead typesetting, 1/72 inch. By @D Fosse

Close, Dag, but not exactly. Gutenberg didn't use inches, so the conversion from his points to inches is 72.27 (traditional). The PostScript conversion rounding it off to 72 points per inch was for the convenience of computers. You can change this in Preferences > Units & Rulers, but it's not a good idea!

janee_0-1678703547537.png

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah, yes, I knew there was a little twist to it.

"Gutenberg didn't use inches", splendid title for a Hercule Poirot story...please to gather in the library after tea 😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I increase to 72 but it is about the size of maybe a 16. ANy idea what is causing this to happen and what I need to do to fix? 

By @Philip23324619lfhp

My idea is that you have set low resolution pixel per inch. Chack what is set in Image > Image Size > Resolution field. If you have low res like 10 then type size 72 will be small because type size is resolution dependent as explained by @D Fosse 

If you want to change Pixel per inch uncheck Resample then change number after Resolution (72 or 96 for example), Confirm then change Type size back to 72 for example. If this tip and other does not help please post screenshot where we can see entire window Layers panel expanded and type layer selected while Type tool is active. Ensure that document dimensions and resolution are visible in status bar (bottom left of the window).

resample checked image size.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I increase to 72

By @Philip23324619lfhp

While 72 points is the largest you can choose from the dropdown, you can type in a larger number and/or "scrub" the "TT" icon to the left. Scrubbing in Photoshop means dragging an icon to increase/decease the amount visually.

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can also transform your text, Just cmd +T and drag a corner handle to make it larger. 

Melissa Piccone | Adobe Trainer | Online Courses Author | Fine Artist

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 18, 2023 Mar 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I click the text box the type is so small I cannot see anything at all. I increase to 72 but it is about the size of maybe a 16. ANy idea what is causing this to happen and what I need to do to fix? 

By @Philip23324619lfhp

Philip, did anything in this thread help you to solve your issue? Can you see your text now when you type?

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines