• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

The brush cursor temporarily changes to a white arrow.

Explorer ,
Feb 19, 2023 Feb 19, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

I mounted a new 500 GB system drive on which I installed photoshop. I have a problem with the brush cursor.

While painting, I have the brush shape turned on as the cursor, but every now and then it turns into a plain white arrow for a fraction of a second. It annoys me a lot because I can't see the shape of the brush and its border.

This happens when I quickly press the brush twice using both the wacom pen and the mouse button. After a while everything goes back to normal and nothing happens.

I tried to paint using the cursor as a crosshair or something else and there were no problems. This only happens when I have the cursor showing the brush tip.

I reset preferences, tried different performance settings, etc. but nothing worked. This happens on all recent versions of photoshop.

Since the beginning of the year, I have only problems with this software, where there were no problems before. I don't know if there is any alternative to this software, but it is becoming more and more cumbersome and projects are waiting to be completed.

Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4670 CPU 3.40GHz 3.40 GHz 16,0 GB RAM Windows 10 Home 22H2

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 3GB

Wacom intuos pro M

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Enthusiast ,
Feb 19, 2023 Feb 19, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-ecosystem-bugs/p-brush-outline-circle-disappearing-when-wor...

The problem is a bug that occurs in versions 24.0 and later. Rollback to version 24.0 or earlier is best for now.
The exact cause is unknown, but 24.1 adds an option to adjust the thickness of the brush cursor, which may be related to the update.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 20, 2023 Feb 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the answer.

This happens to me on all versions. Now I switched to the oldest version available and it's the same. What I noticed is probably related to the zoom level of the image. When I zoom out, the problem seems to go away.

I will watch it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Feb 20, 2023 Feb 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmm... What's your PS Version? And what's your CPU and GPU, GPU driver version?
Can you write about that info and Your Expereince on "BUG" tab?
This is a tab for discussion, so it's hard to get attention for bugs unless the community's mediator moves them to the Bug tab.
It would be great to upload your Windows version to Photoshop version on the Bug tab and the process of reproducing it.
I am currently using Windows 10 with 24.0 and I have experienced the same problem as you before and have reported a bug about it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 21, 2023 Feb 21, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wacom intuos pro M

I currently uninstalled all versions of photoshop and installed the old 22.2 and it's the same. I have updated graphics card and tablet drivers.

The cursor is stable only when I have a far away view. When I'm working on a medium or higher zoom, there are often delays in drawing and my cursor switches to a white arrow. The same thing happens when I paint with the mouse.

It all started with reinstalling the system at the beginning of the year and reinstalling the entire package. The system was installed on a new 500GB hard drive.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

I mounted a new 500 GB system drive on which I installed photoshop. I have a problem with the brush cursor.

While painting, I have the brush shape turned on as the cursor, but every now and then it turns into a plain white arrow for a fraction of a second. It annoys me a lot because I can't see the shape of the brush and its border. Drawing also slows down.

This happens when I quickly press the brush twice using both the wacom pen and the mouse button. After a while everything goes back to normal and nothing happens.

I tried to paint using the cursor as a crosshair or something else and there were no problems. This only happens when I have the cursor showing the brush tip.

I've noticed that the problem disappears when I'm painting in a distant view, and becomes active when I zoom in a bit.

I reset preferences, tried different performance settings, etc. but nothing worked. This happens on all recent versions of photoshop.

Graphics card and tablet drivers are up to date.

Wacom intuos pro M

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Przemek27842062wc9o I've requested this post get merged with our original post for the same issue. Please reply to that thread instead of starting duplicate posts.

https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-ecosystem-discussions/the-brush-cursor-temporarily-changes-...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 21, 2023 Jul 21, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

My details on this issue:

Windows 10, PS version 24.6.0

When I am brushing with the pen on a tablet and I lift the brush and immediately start brushing again the cursor changes from the Normal circle to a large white arrow and stays there until I lift the pen.

Only happens with my Wacom tablet (Bamboo Fun, yes its old but works), not with the laptop trackpoint

ONLY happens with PS cursor set to Normal or Full Size, not with Standard or Precise.

Happens regardless of the 2 Show Crosshair settings.

I've turned off flick panning, pen pressure and a number of other settings to no avail so far.

If I wait 1-2 seconds between lifting the pen and starting to brush again it does NOT happen.

Often after I lift the pen and dont' start brushing immediately I will notice a flash of the cursor changing to the white arrow and back again after the 1-2 seconds, then the brush will display properly when I brush.

I can use the Standard or Precise settings to avoid the issue, but they don't give me feedback on the size of my brush (I change often, both size and hardness), or I can use the Normal or Full Size settings and wait 2 seconds between each brush stroke.  I'm a Light Painter so I'm brushing a LOT...  PS is wasting my time...  Yuck.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines