• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

the new photoshops are so terrible.... how and why?

Explorer ,
Aug 15, 2023 Aug 15, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been using PS since 1999 and these new versions [cursing removed] are unusable. I have spent days trying to solve erros and bugs. Why did you nuke such a well oiled software. almost every update since 2018 [cursing removed].... why is there no alternative to PS [cursing removed].

why break something that worked so well decades ago

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Oct 01, 2023 Oct 01, 2023

This is almost always caused by one of two things:

• an outdated graphics card that no longer meets Photoshop requirements (or driver bugs, but that's much more rarely seen now)
  • not enough scratch disk space (or memory allocation in preferences set too high)

If you're interested in troubleshooting, go to Help > System Info and paste the whole thing in a reply here.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
New Here ,
Aug 28, 2024 Aug 28, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Who did I shift blame to? At no point did I suggest that my mistaking D Fosse for a woman was anyone's fault but my own.

And how about this, I simply don't like the newer versions of Photoshop, I use them, but still prefer CS5. It's just a preference and just an opinion.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 25, 2024 Aug 25, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you are incapable of using Photoshop 2024 efficiently the problem might be yours, not Photoshop’s. (edited)

Claims like »garbage« are meaningless so what are the actual issues you are having with current Photoshop versions? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 25, 2024 Aug 25, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're right, it's a bizarre statement with no examples of the so-called "garbage".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 26, 2024 Aug 26, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I'm incapable of using a newer version of an application I've been using for over thirty years, that's the problem. I was a participating and reporting beta tester for various Adobe products from roughly 1996 through the '00s. The over-automation of Photoshop has made it more difficult to truly control, that's what I don't like. If y'all grew up with it in the last ten years, you wouldn't get it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I started with version 2.5 and don't want to go back to typing text into a dialog box and working with channels because we didn't have layers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't think anyone is suggesting you use pre layers Photoshop 3.0, but for all practical purposes CS2 was really all the better the application got. The rest has been nothing but unnecessary bells and whistles and taking advantage of faster hardware.

Of course this is merely my opinion. However, said opinion is contrary to what this Fosse gal believes. The way I see it, much of the onus is on the developer to ensure an application make efficient use of at least relevantly recent hardware to accomplish the same task as it had within a resonable number of years. It should not be the user's responsibility to buy a new machine every five years. Sloppy coding is just that, sloppy.

But, that isn't even why I don't particularly care for the last decade or more of Photoshop. I don't like it because it wants to assume it knows what I want to do vs my having control. And the person on here who insists I go into detail as to why, can just go cry in their "bizarre" soup.

Give me CS5 or give me death!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 27, 2024 Aug 27, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the professional world, you upgrade every 3-5 years or more often if needed.

I'm a working pro and have a 2019 Intel MacBook Pro at work, it is holding up well and I expect to replace it in the next 1-2 years. I have an M1 at home and I'd like to step up to an M4 machine when they come out, maybe next year sometime.

Your rant is nonsensical.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, in your "professional world" where you upgrade every 3-5 years, you upgrade every 6-7 years?

That's a tad nonsensical wouldn't you say?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Apparently you can't do math, either. :eyeroll:

Business depreciation is typically 3-5 years, depending on accounting methods. A lot of business will be on a 3-5 year computer replacement cycle for both tax and technical reasons.

A 2019 Mac is :counts: four years old. Replacement should be coming up, but I don't approve budgets at my day job.

I bought my personal M1 in 2022 so its still fine, but yes I'd like to get a more powerful machine at some point, maybe next spring.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's August of 2024, the 2019 MBP was introduced in March of 2019, the last of the 2019s were introduced in June of 2019. So, regardless of which model you you have, it's based on roughly 4-1/2 year old architecture. Sorry if I was off by a few months. But if you replace a 4-1/2 year old computer, or let'sjust go with your assessment of four years, 1-2 years fom now it would still be a 5-6 year old computer, not 3-5 years.

What were you saying about math and eyerolls?

And when you say I "can't do math either", what is the other thing you seem to believe I can't do? Did you somehow conclude I "can't" use Photoshop 25 just because I don't particulalry care for it? I do use it, and on a very capable maxed-out 2023 MBP 16 M2 Max. But, I still bang out a lot of work in CS5 on a late 2011 MBP 17 Core i7. It's merely preference and opinion and has nothing to do with ability or access to capable hardware.

Like I said to D Fosse (the man), you do you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

:sigh: my current machine wasn't purchased in May 2019, it was at the end of that year. So yes, 3-5 years.

Maybe you should pay more attention? You aren't winning this argument. YOU were the one bitching about, well, everything.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which will be five years at the end of this year, that's only four months from now. Add 1-2 years before it's replaced, as you had said, that in no way is 3-5 years.

Today it is at least 4.667 years old.

4.667+1=5.667

4.667+2=6.667

How does 5.667 to 6.667 fall into 3 to 5?

Please, show your math.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually, you got me using your math and I now on second thought have to edit my previous comment and go back to what I had said before. Mid 2019 was five years ago, not four. March of 2019 was roughly 5-1/5 years ago, not 4-1/2. So, even if yougot your 2019 MBP mid summer, it would be five years old. Which would put it all back to replecing it when it was 6-7 years old.

24-19=5

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 27, 2024 Aug 27, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

'And the person on here who insists I go into detail as to why, can just go cry in their "bizarre" soup.'

So you are just ranting then, and don't want any specific changes?

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop has gotten better in many ways, worse in some, since the 1990's. Adobe's business and marketing decisions are garbage, I'll heartily agree with that. But the software is still a professional standard for a reason.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hasn't this deary thread run its course and needs to be closed?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Agreed, it is going nowhere, since the original 2023 answer.  Locked

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines