• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

There's still no way to load keyboard shortcuts in CC?

Enthusiast ,
Jul 26, 2017 Jul 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you create a bunch of keyboard shortcuts and save them (to a thumbdrive, to copy them to multiple computers, for example), there's still no way to load them?

Try it: Go into Edit / Keyboard Shortcuts and check it out.

noLoad.png

I checked the documentation and found that you can import & export presets, and supposedly keyboard shortcuts are amongst them.  NOPE.  In fact, this function doesn't appear to work at all:

noPresets.png

I like the idea of having one place for all presets (or I would if it worked), but then why have a redundant Save function in the keyboard-shortcuts dialog?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In Windows keyboard shortcuts are located at

c:\Users\YourName\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CC 2017\Presets\Keyboard Shortcuts\

If you put the *.kys file there it will be available in the List to choose from.

I do it all the time to transfer shortcuts between computers but it should work with the Preset Manager too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks!

But...

1. I'm on Mac (and I know where the directory is on Mac OS).

2. That's not the solution you'd find in a release-ready product.  It doesn't make sense to have a Save function without a corresponding Load function.

The Preset Manager doesn't appear to do anything.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The location on mac is

/Users/User Name/Library/Application Support/Adobe/Adobe Photoshop CC 2017/Presets/Keyboard Shortcuts

The keyboard shortcuts dialog has never had a Load command since it first appeared in photoshop cs.

I've often wondered why.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 12, 2017 Aug 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree I don't understand why keyboard shortcuts and workspaces aren't available to add to the Creative Cloud library. I mean, I understand one user can have two machines, but what if you have a business or university with x + 2 machines and want to configure them all with the same settings?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have read a little of the original post where the user ... Cox from Adobe said he has surveys and data showing differently, then what Mobius Strip had been asking, about loading keyboard shortcuts on multiple machines.

I also have been using Photoshop since Version 7 before CS was around, and I know one is able to load the keyboard shortcuts on Mac and Windows via the Presets folder on either OS.

But I do wonder why isn't there an option to load them into the Library for both Workspaces and Keyboard shortcuts?

I noticed in Photoshop I am able to configure Brushes in Window > Tool Presets then save the configuration for both the Workspace and Keyboard Shortcuts, Menus, Toolbar ...

Screen Shot 2017-08-12 at 9.58.50 PM.png

It would be sincerely helpful if there were a button to Add Workspace to Adobe Creative Cloud library like this: Add Workspace to CC Library.png

I think this would solve a lot of the issues regarding this topic if it's even possible to implement into the library.

I have a real world situation. I am one user with two machines and I have keyboard shortcuts and workspaces I want to mirror onto my two machines. Having an option like this on the CC library would help me configure once, and set that configuration to my other machine.

Even down the line, we own our own business as a small business, and we have more than 5+ machines. Having an option like this would seriously help productivity because as said before, I could configure one machine and set that configuration workspace in this image example to the CC library and apply it to any other machine using Photoshop CC.

I myself have four machines myself, but only CC on two machines as a single user.

There are real world examples to add this type of functionality.

Is it possible to do a survey on this post or something like unto it to see if users who have more than 1+ machine could benefit from this type of integration?

Just thought I would add to this conversation. Please if this is already available, how do I add a Workspace with Capturing Keyboard Shortcuts, Menus, Toolbar, etc to the Creative Cloud library? (Images would be helpful)

Very Respectfully,

Christopher Stapleton

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A valid suggestion, although it's not suitable as the only solution because we shouldn't have to depend on 24/7 connectivity to CC for this simple function.

But thank you for weighing in to prove that Adobe is ignoring a common real-world situation faced by its users year after year.

How anyone with self respect can argue that a Save function without a matching Load function is a legitimate design is beyond me. The continued thrashing against requests to fix obvious design defects is a daily insult to paying customers, and an embarrassment to Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 13, 2017 Aug 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mobius Strip you said:

A valid suggestion, although it's not suitable as the only solution because we shouldn't have to depend on 24/7 connectivity to CC for this simple function.

I agree that "it's not suitable as the only solution" as it should have been implemented into all of the applications in the Adobe Creative Suite, to begin with, at least in my opinion, but it hasn't.

Maybe that's ! because of insufficient user research from surveys and what not that Adobe may or may not have collected.

On this link How do you load keyboard shortcuts?  in 2011, Chris Cox said:

Screen Shot 2017-08-13 at 7.48.30 AM.png

What @Chris Cox collected as "actual usage data and survey results" is something he and Adobe are able to see. @Chris Cox, Would it be possible to see this data and results?

@Chris Cox also said:

Screen Shot 2017-08-13 at 7.48.01 AM.png

May be true from the data and results, but it was a common thing for me (when I attended the Art Institute of Seattle) in the Game Art & Design program, many students (more than 100 or more that I know of from 2003-2010), was common to save one's keyboard shortcuts to local drive, and move that configuration to another machine, or multiple machines, because daily the machines we used each day were wiped clean on a certain drive that students were only allowed to use.

So we learned to backup our data, such as keyboard shortcuts for multiple software such as Maya, Photoshop, 3dsMax, Zbrush, and there are many others (where keyboard shortcuts could be saved in this different software from 2003-2010 (and currently), to use them the next day or the same day in another classroom, with another teacher on a different machine, both on Mac and Windows.

https://forums.adobe.com/people/Mobius+Strip  wrote

But thank you for weighing in to prove that Adobe is ignoring a common real-world situation faced by its users year after year.

So it was a common, everyday thing for me while attending 2003-present, I have had to deal with the work around by saving to presets folder.

What I don't understand when Mobius Strip, you said:

Adobe Creative Cloud 2017 is what is presently available at the top. I understand you had made this original post:

How do you load keyboard shortcuts?
Screen Shot 2017-08-13 at 8.09.16 AM.png

August 10, 2011, @ 6:18 AM, but this is years ago.

Adobe Creative Cloud library to me is very valuable and would have been in 2003-2010 as a power user while in art school because I could copy my data saved in my various Adobe software such as presets and configuration files, along with other project file data, and use it over and over in other Adobe software from Photoshop to Illustrator, InDesign, etc. This method of reusing project file data is very helpful now, and it would have been very helpful then.

I don't understand why you think

I don't see it as having to depend on 24/7 connectivity to CC, but an asset to benefit from. Two points.

1. When using alternate software in Adobe Creative Cloud like InDesign CC, and having to relink a file that may be on one machine, and another file on another machine, having them in one place on ACC library to me is very helpful and very valuable.

This is a screen shot of InDesign CC, and relinking an Adobe Illustrator background file from the ACC library, this option saves so much time than trying to find where a file is located,
Relink from CC libraries.png

Even though in InDesign CC, in the relinking panel it does say when hovering over the asset in the links panel, where the asset is located:
Where the file is located.pngBut imagine what happens had a drive failed and one had their project files data, presets data, configuration data, workspace data on the ACC library? One wouldn't need to go back and try to "relink" that data from a failed drive because it's on the CC library already. It's just backup, and in my opinion, it's helpful and valuable and saves me time. It helps me in this context, but to you, it may not, and I am just one person with this context.

There are many other users with many other configurations using many different types of platforms etc.

Conclusion
Overall, I feel to me in the information I have presented and responded to, and in the context I have explained I feel adding this button (or similar) functionality to Adobe Creative Cloud library would be very helpful not just in Photoshop, but for all Apps within Adobe Creative Cloud 2017 because it saves time and it's helpful for the user to Save Presets, and Load them back if lost on one machine or drive.

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Conclusion
Overall, I feel to me in the information I have presented and responded to, and in the context I have explained I feel adding this button (or similar) functionality to Adobe Creative Cloud library would be very helpful not just in Photoshop, but for all Apps within Adobe Creative Cloud 2017 because it saves time and it's helpful for the user to Save Presets, and Load them back if lost on one machine or drive.

Telling us (this is a user-to-user forum and there are no Adobe staff badges on this thread) isn't going to initiate a change. Be sure to take a moment tell Adobe directly what you are hoping for out of future versions: Wishform - Adobe InDesign

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was unsure, I am new to Adobe Creative Cloud, thank you for the URL.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are very welcome.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Feb 15, 2022 Feb 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the reply. I never said that a "cloud" option isn't useful. I said it's not acceptable as the only solution, in place of simply being able to save and load a file locally.

If I'm running a computer lab in a classroom, I should be able to put a keymap file on a server or a thumbdrive for every student to load on his machine. Or even if I'm a lone user with three computers who wants the same shortcuts on them... I shouldn't have to round-trip a tiny file through some third-party Internet servers to computers that are 10 feet away.

And again... a Save function makes no sense without a Load function.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 16, 2022 Feb 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

And again... a Save function makes no sense without a Load function.

By @Mobius Strip

Hard to disagree with that and I've wondered myself.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 25, 2018 Oct 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks! I was able to find the .kys file (on my laptop) and copy it to my desktop!  Was able to load my keyboard with no problem!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Oct 28, 2018 Oct 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How? There's no "load" function.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 29, 2018 Oct 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did it via the FINDER Level.  You find the .kys file which is in this location: /Users/User Name/Library/Application Support/Adobe/Adobe Photoshop CC 2017/Presets/Keyboard Shortcuts and then you copy it to that same location on the computer that you're wanting to use.

Yes, it would be more user friendly if Adobe make an "import keyboard" button on the GUI (Adobe, please do this), but I'm of the school of thought, "WHATEVER WORKS!"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, I was wondering how you achieved anything by copying the file to your desktop.

I would still like an explanation of why Adobe thought it made sense to provide a Save function without a Load function.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 07, 2018 Nov 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I totally agree... I'd be interested to see what user data could possibly justify having a Save button and no Load button, for anything. Nice Illustration of the Adobe mindset: we are right because we have the might.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Nov 08, 2018 Nov 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That guy claims to have user data showing that every glaring defect in Photoshop is beloved by customers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Must be something on your system because it works fine here

Screenshot - 26_07_2017 , 22_41_46.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, but your screen shot shows the Import tab.

I assume you have to export something in order to have anything to import, right?

My screen shot is of the Export tab.  It shows nothing, so naturally I can't create anything to import.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Must be something wrong on your system as it works fine here...

Screenshot - 27_07_2017 , 8_48_54.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No idea. I shitcanned all Adobe software since this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 18, 2018 Nov 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is the ANSWER:

Quit Photoshop.

Locate the keyboard shortcut file you saved (on your desktop or whoever it is saved to) eg : Photoshop Defaults (modified) Copy 2.kys

Open that file by selecting it and right click to open with Photoshop.

You will now have that modified keyboard shortcut set active.

Why Adobe don't have a load function through Photoshop is a mystery.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 18, 2020 Oct 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Untitled-1.jpg

I've done it on this way:

Click on red "create a new set",  a save as window is showed.

Drop inside the .kys you want to use.

Restart PS.

After that, can select it on the Keyboard Shortcut Set.
A load function is a must.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines