• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

tiff file displays correctly in Preview; gets cut off when opened in Bridge or Photoshop

Community Beginner ,
Nov 18, 2015 Nov 18, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Greetings,

I'm using a Mac running OS X El Capitan (10.11.1) with Photoshop CC 2015 (16.01.1) and Bridge CC (6.1.1.10). The scanner is an Epson GT-15000.

The tiff file I'm working on now displays correctly (i.e. the entire scanned image is visible) in the scanner's Scan Results interface as well as in Preview.

Bridge and Photoshop both display about 75% of the file; the missing bit is cleaved off vertically on the right-hand side in a portrait-orientation view.

The problem occurs about 15% of the time, seemingly at random.

The latest Epson drivers and the TWAIN mac plug-in have been installed.

???

thank you for your time, 

~E

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Mar 04, 2018 Mar 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Been a while since I was into scanners, but TWAIN is dead and no longer mantained. No 64 bit TWAIN was ever made. Photoshop dropped TWAIN support altogether because of bugs and crashing.

In any case, people talk about TWAIN as if it was a scanning software in its own. It never was that; it was just an interface that let the native software open inside an application like Photoshop. It was still the same manufacturer's scanning software with the same functionality.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 04, 2018 Mar 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually mac has 64 bit twain and photoshop was able to use it, but few scanner manufacturers use it, since most originally used 32 bit twain and by the time 64 bit twain was on the mac side, most decided to go with Image Capture instead of 64 bit twain.

Also, adobe doesn't supply a twain plugin on the mac side even as an optional download any more for Photoshop CC 2015.5 and later.

Use the TWAIN scanner plug-in

Sounds like rather than using Twain, perhaps lovelaceness is using the scanner makers scanning software.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 10, 2018 Aug 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found a solution that works for me...

Scans in tiff format using HP's ScanJet PrinterProxy application (macOS High Sierra 10.13.6) open in Preview correctly but are cut off on the right side, exactly as examples in this thread, when opened in Photoshop CC.

When rescanned using either Image Capture, or ScanVue the tiff images open correctly in Photoshop CC (19.1.5)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 20, 2019 Jan 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've figured out that if I export from GIMP using JPEG compression, the file cuts off a third.

However, if I use DZW compression instead, Photoshop functions correctly. Super annoying.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 28, 2019 Apr 28, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same issue. I'm trying to import TIFF scans that were scanned by Image Capture. When opening in Photoshop CC, I only half of the image displays. I'm on OSX 10.13.6 with Mac Book Pro 2012. Any official word from Adobe would be helpful.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had to create an easy work around.. I batch converted the TIFFs within the OSX Preview application. The resulting JPEG's were able to properly display in Photoshop CC.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't think this is an Adobe problem and it has existed for 3-4 years.  In Image Capture, scan a picture with the capture box horizontal, saving to tiff.  Then do the same thing, but have the capture box rotated.  Now rescue the image captured with the capture box rotated with Preview.

Compare the file size of the three files.  Horizontal capture will be the size of a normal tiff.  The rotated capture image will be very small and the 'rescued' image will be equally small.

This is observable without ever touching an Adobe product.  Every time there is an apple upgrade, I test and when this issue is not fixed, I call Apple and explain and show the problem.  They say they will look into it.

I have evaluated this bug in Mojave 10.14.4 and it is still present.  I am guessing that Apple will never fix this bug, but I sure wish they would be honest with me.  The only real solution is to scan with a horizontal capture box.  Other software may work, but they only provide for a horizontal capture box.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 28, 2020 Apr 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same problem,

In my case, I was scanning two photos at the same time and save each image as a tiff. When I imported the image to photoshop it only showed 75% of the file.

What I ended up doing was to scan only one photo at a time, save it as a tiff, and import the file to photoshop. This solve the problem for me.

Let me know if this works for someone else.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 29, 2020 Apr 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The issue of cutting off tiff scans when opened in photoshop was fixed in the CC 2019 (photoshop version 21.0)

Though that does not fix the bug in mac os Image Capture that is causing the issue in the first place, which

incidentally has been around since Lion 10.7, so it seems apple has no interest in fixing it. This is a real

problem because the tiffs at issue use jpeg compression which can significantly reduce the quality of the scan.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 28, 2022 Mar 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Still having this issue in 2022! 

Not sure if anyone has mentioned this or not but I opened my scan in preview, copied it and pasted it into photoshop. No quality loss either. Not an ideal fix but works for what I need to do. 

Hopefully this helps if anyone else is also still having this issue. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines