Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Tiff files are not uncompressed

Community Beginner ,
Mar 28, 2022 Mar 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jorma Jokinen.

I have made a Family Tree chart in tiff format. Every time I get new information I open it in PS and do my editing. After repeating this tens of times the older parts of the chart are beginnig to seem more and more unreadable. Why this because tiff format is told to be uncompressed and loseless.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This was, in my opinion (and I am not the only one), a huge mistake by those who maintained the TIFF standard. What you get is a TIFF document containing JPEG compression. The compression and the file format are not the same thing; that's why we can have JPEG inside a PDF, for instance. It is one of many compressions available in writing TIFF, for example run-length, LZW, ZIP. JPEG compression, however it is used, is lossy and causes damage. Hence my question to JJo-45, whether this option was used.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Those that maintained the TIFF standard: Adobe. It's theirs. 

And just like DNG, we can embed a JPEG in that container. 

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Indeed, Adobe maintained it (though they included and standarised work by others). When introduced to the standard it was puzzling. Many years later, it appeared unexpectedly in Photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Mar 30, 2022 Mar 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It seems to me that the problem is not related to the image format.

Your example looks like you first reduced the size of the entire image (or an individual layer) and then increased it. For example, I took your screenshot with good readable text, its size 576x801 px reduced it to 200x308 px, and then returned it to its original size using  Preserve Details interpolation algorithm (Photoshop uses it automatically if you did not change the interpolation settings) . It can be seen that very similar distortions of letters to images have occurred (the difference is only in sharpness, I assume that you added it later).

3.png

 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 31, 2022 Mar 31, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

"I open a picture in PS, edit it and save in tiff format in mode without any compression. Why it is not exatly the same picture that I had on the screen when I open it again? "

I think the results shown from your screen shots are clear. It is not the editing and saving of TIFF which causes the slow damage to the picture. You could open and save a TIFF a million or a billion times without any damage.  The damage is, therefore, caused by the things you do when you're editing (not necessarily every time).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines