• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Timeline tools grayed out in a reopened PSD animation file. How do I get them back on??

Community Beginner ,
Aug 09, 2021 Aug 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Last week I created a simple video animation, which rendered fine and which I posted. Today, I opened the PSD file and cannot play back nor render the same file. The tools above the timeline are grayed out. Not only that but I got a pop-up that instructed me to rasterize the type layer in order to continue. That makes no sense, as it is a layered PSD file. I was able to edit the layer elements on the timeline but cannot play back nor render to a video. The only option available is Image Sequence. Hopefully this is a simple thing I am overlooking.

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

New Here , Mar 09, 2022 Mar 09, 2022

Not sure if everyone is still having issues with this, but I found a work around. I guess the new M1 chip does not support the video animation in Photoshop. I was having the same issues as addresses above. The solution was to go into your Creative Cloud area where the apps are and click the three dots next to Photoshop. You'll see in the drop down that you can open Photoshop (Intel) versus the M1 version. Makes sure your current Photoshop window is closed and then select that Intel option. I jus

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Jun 15, 2022 Jun 15, 2022

There was an update that's been pulled that offered native support of videos on M1 processors. I suggest to wait for the 23.4.x update that should pop up as soon as the issue is fixed. Check this forum, and your CC app.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As I mentioned in another post, upon opening a previously created Video Animation in Photoshop I found the Timeline controls grayed out. Also, there seemed to be no ability to render to any video format. The frustrating part is I had already created the video, rendered it and posted the output on YouTube and Instagram. So, I know it worked. I'm not a novice.

Today however, nothing. I spent an hour trying to figure out what I have missed. I also set up an New Document and found NO options for Video Animation. Only Frame Sequence and Image generation. That is weird and a waste of time struggling with an app that is supposed to streamline my work. Plain rubbish.

What irritates me is that when I could not get ANY Creative Cloud apps to run on my former Mac, Adobe suggested I upgrade, which I did. To hear their apps are not compatible with the new Mac OS or hardware is the most unacceptable BS I've heard from Adobe yet. I truly hope I get some kind of response to the Timeline issue, but I am not holding my breath, and I am not wasting any more of my valuable time using Photoshop to create video animation.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

[Moderator moved from Using the Community (forums)  & merged with original on the topic in Photoshop.]

No need to duplicate your posts.   It's possible your video format is NOT compatible with Photoshop.  That said, Photoshop is first & foremost a graphics editor, not a video editor. 

Adobe's dedicated video apps include: Premier Elements, Premier Rush, Premier Pro or After Effects.  For best results, use Adobe Media Encoder to encode & export video. 

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 22, 2022 Feb 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i have the same issus. i created the gif in photoshop, but after reopening I couldn't play it anymore... very frustrating. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 09, 2022 Mar 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not sure if everyone is still having issues with this, but I found a work around. I guess the new M1 chip does not support the video animation in Photoshop. I was having the same issues as addresses above. The solution was to go into your Creative Cloud area where the apps are and click the three dots next to Photoshop. You'll see in the drop down that you can open Photoshop (Intel) versus the M1 version. Makes sure your current Photoshop window is closed and then select that Intel option. I just tried it out and the control panels are no longer grayed out and everything play fine now. Hope that helps anyone searching this issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 23, 2022 Mar 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked!! absolute legend

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 15, 2022 Jun 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

There was an update that's been pulled that offered native support of videos on M1 processors. I suggest to wait for the 23.4.x update that should pop up as soon as the issue is fixed. Check this forum, and your CC app.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 26, 2022 May 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you!  This solved my issue today...wish I had googled the issue and found your answer sooner!  Adobe--maybe sort this out?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 27, 2022 May 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thank you thank you. never would have otherwise known how to fix this and it worked 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 15, 2022 Jun 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THANK YOU THANK YOU! It took me so long to figure this out and I finally found this article and it worked!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines